PDA

View Full Version : Heads up at the end of a 2-7 TD tournament

TakeMeToTheRiver
05-20-2005, 11:06 AM
As TT mentioned in another thread, I won our first NYC 2-7 TD live tournament on Tuesday (O.K., we only had four of us playing this time... hoping for at least two tables in the future). Here is the final hand for comments:

Stakes are now 100-200 (blinds 50/100) and I have the chip lead (we can back out the chip counts from the action, but it wasn't a big lead -- total chips on the table was T3000).

Heads up, I am BB and am dealt 742xx. Button raises and I call.

I draw two. Button is pat.

Me: 76422.

I check. Button bets. I raise. Button calls.

I draw 1. He is pat.

Me: 76432 (BANG!)

I check. He bets. I raise. He re-raises. I 4-bet (putting him all-in for his last T75 or so).

I am pat. He draws 2!

Turns over an 8 for the first draw card -- tells me he stood pat early with a T9 hoping to push me out.

Comments?

Edit: Also -- what I meant to ask -- what do you do on the turn if you draw an 8 or a 9 on the second draw? I think I call and stand pat (at least on a 9). Raise with an 87?

timprov
05-20-2005, 11:15 AM
I think he either needs to draw from the beginning or fold to your raise after the first draw, depending on what his low cards are. Once you've drawn two and check-raised him, the T9 isn't much good anymore.

TakeMeToTheRiver
05-20-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think he either needs to draw from the beginning or fold to your raise after the first draw, depending on what his low cards are. Once you've drawn two and check-raised him, the T9 isn't much good anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree -- although we had both become aggressive since it was heads up, I don't think I had check-raised on a snow. I had certainly raised and bet pre-draw and after the first draw without a made hand (and he was definitely doing the same) -- very few showdowns.

I think this was the third hand at this level and definitely the first hand to get passed the first draw at this level. I don't think its terrible that he did not draw in the first round and I am guessing he thought I was snowing him in the second round (when I c-r and then draw one against his pat hand). Earlier, when it was still multi-handed and the stakes were low, he stood pat, never drawing and playing aggressive with a made 9. Still, I don't like the way he played his hand.