PDA

View Full Version : 69 Big Blind Special, 1/2 6 max

MrWookie47
05-20-2005, 10:34 AM
This hand confused me a fair bit last night when I was playing some 1/2 6 max over on absolute. I had played with villain in this hand once before and had him pegged as a sLPP. I had observed him calling against odds to a gutshot, and I had watched him just call down with 4x on a [[[JJ4]3]2] rainbow board HU with me, the preflop raiser. He was running very well tonight, and that may have made him looser and more aggressive.

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Top pair, even with a crappy kicker and many possible overcards to come, is often good here, plus I have the chance to knock out the button and be in position for the rest of the hand. I am less than enthusiastic about having been 3bet. I didn't have any data about how this guy plays draws since Absolute hides all mucked hands. I couldn't rule out the possibility of a draw, but I figured I was behind.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

What? No follow up bet? I probably would have folded. His check smelled a little funny, and even if he was just scared of the K, I may still be behind. I take (and give) a free card.

River: (4.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...

Well, I told him that I didn't have the K, and he still checks to me. That is the third club that fell, and possibly a gutshot filler, but if he had the flush or straight, I would have expected him to bet out after I checked that turn. Being a compulsive value bettor, I bet out and hope for the best. Is there value in this bet? Should I have bet the turn when he showed weakness/no free card? Fold to the flop 3bet?

kenberman
05-20-2005, 10:47 AM
I bet/fold the turn

deception5
05-20-2005, 10:48 AM
I like your line here on the flop and the turn. When he doesn't bet the river I start to wonder if he 3-bet to try and get a free card.

This river is a tough one, I might chicken out and check behind as that 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif completes a couple of draws. Although against a passive I'd probably bet as you're unlikely to be check/raised.

An alternative line here might be to bet the turn and fold to a check/raise. He might even fold the best hand and you can always take the free showdown.

[ QUOTE ]
had watched him just call down with 4x on a [[[JJ4]3]2] rainbow board HU with me

[/ QUOTE ]
I might have called down here also - there's a good chance you're just trying to bully me with your Ace /images/graemlins/wink.gif Well more likely I'd raise you somewhere but I'm not passive /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SCfuji
05-20-2005, 10:48 AM
im betting the turn and free showdowning most river cards.

McGahee
05-20-2005, 10:49 AM
I need a refresher course on acronyms.
I believe sLPP means he's passive - if that's the case, bet the turn if he's not capable of a semi-bluff C/R. The rest of the hand I think is standard.

MrWookie47
05-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Oh, I was definitely bullying him, but it might have been a K. Actually, I think I checked the river, and he let it check through. I'll have to double check my PT history. I was more showing that he was too passive, not that he was too loose.

sLPP means slightly loose, passive prelfop, passive postflop.

I find the line of bet/folding the turn interesting. I opted out of it because I didn't think I had any fold equity against this clown, but if I'm ahead, I don't want to give free cards. BTW, folding if bet into is correct, no? Thanks for the input.

irishpint
05-20-2005, 11:43 AM
id certainly fold if bet into by a passive player on the turn. it'll cost at least 2BB to show down your 9s and with the K, flush and straight draws I dont think it's worth it.

I would have bet the turn- he'll see you mean business and my guess is he'll put you on a better hand than 96 and maybe fold. If he doesn't fold and he doesn't raise then I check behind the river, because he could have a variety of things that beat you.

tiltaholic
05-20-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
im betting the turn and free showdowning most river cards.

[/ QUOTE ]