PDA

View Full Version : Babe's Picks

PokerBabe(aka)
12-07-2002, 11:19 AM
Hi Guys- Babe says LGPG and BUY LOW. For the dividend paying crowd, I still like GE, JP Morgan (JPM), Ford,(F) Walgreens,(WAG) Raytheon (RTN) and Pfizer (PFE). I also still like Home Depot due to the fact that most people don't like it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif . For bond funds, check out SBG (Saloman Bros WW Trust)- 8.5% yield. As for annual reports, they are rarely what they seem /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Good luck to all in your investments in '03. Yikes- '03? Babe's BD is next month. Tough to LG when you keep getting older every year /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Zeno
12-09-2002, 02:46 AM
Pokerbabe, Thanks for posting your picks. I'm purchasing GE, 2K worth. I'll check out the bond fund you mentioned. I was thinging of a financial institution (Tom memtioned this also) for a stock buy, so J.P. Morgan may be on my final list, however; I have to hold off on all my other decisions until after the first of the year. No more time for stock, bonds, etc. and all the new terms that I have deluged myself with lately. I'm off work starting tuesday until Jan 6, and a large Road Trip is the priority now. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
So, I will not be posting at all for awhile. Thank you for the advise you gave.

-Zeno

AceHigh
12-29-2002, 09:02 PM
Hey Babe,

If you like WalGreens, check out RiteAid (RAD). Course I work for them so I'm a little biased. But price is very low and it seems like they are back to being profitable.

broomcorn
01-02-2003, 01:57 PM
For those interested in divvies, you might want to look into FB, IMH, and PVX.
good luck!
broomcorn

MtSmalls
01-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Two cents worth from someone who works in this industry every day. Be VERY careful when looking at yields on bond funds. In this case, SBG is a closed end mutual fund, obviously trading at a deep discount. That discount can go deeper, resulting in returns that are substantially less than the stated yield (not to mention closed end funds have much less liquidity, you have to find someone willing to buy your shares). Also, if you are not investing through a retirement account, check out the municipal rates, which on an after-tax basis are much higher than taxable rates right now.

Unless you are opposed to the business that they are in, those people interested in dividends should look very closely at R.J. Reynolds (RJR), which is currently yielding close to 9%, and the stock is trading at less than half of it book value.

Ray Zee
01-02-2003, 10:48 PM
closed end funds should always trade at a discount to net asset value. when they dont go against them. when they trade at to big a spread, buy them as it will close. but the price of the fund may fall as well. the real bang for your buck is when they take them to open ended. then they automatically trade at NAV. then you recover all that juice at once. the bad part about all closed end funds is that you get rapped by the management in fees, as they have only their interests at heart. overall i have done very well trading them.