PDA

View Full Version : Could I have got away?

Fuchida
05-20-2005, 09:54 AM
Apologies for not using convertor but this is from UB and I didn't have the online hand history

Blinds $2/$4. I have $400, Villain has about $310. Early in the game and I don't yet have much of a read on him

Villain min-raises under the gun. I call in late position with a pair of eights.

Flop is 633 and pot is $22

Villian bets $15. I need to find out if my eights are good so I raise to $40. He calls. I read him at this point for an overpair but also that he was concerned I had trips or a set but that I could also have a lower overpair than his.

Turn is an 8, giving me the best possible full house. Pot is $102.

He checks and I want to keep him interested so I bet $50

River is a J and pot is $202

He checks. I briefly considered checking in case he had JJ but dismissed that as being too wimpy. I can't always worry about the worst happening. I considered what he might call if he had an overpair and eventually bet $150. He went AI for $210. I guessed he probably had JJ but couldn't throw away for the sake of a $60 call into a $562 pot. He had the jacks.

So to the question. Could I have got away from this hand on the river if I had played it differently or was this one of those situations where you are destined to lose all your chips?

Fuchida

gomberg
05-20-2005, 10:15 AM
you can't get away from that - that's a silly question. As for the flop, maybe a min-raise or a call is more scary and gives you more information on the turn? Just something to consider in the future.

Fuchida
05-20-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you can't get away from that - that's a silly question. As for the flop, maybe a min-raise or a call is more scary and gives you more information on the turn? Just something to consider in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply. However, could you explain how a call gives me more information than a raise? Are you suggesting that if I call and then he checks the turn, I would know he was concerned about his hand and it would have cost me less to find out? If he bets again though on the turn though (assuming I didn't get an 8), I still don't know if my 8s are good

Fuchida

gomberg
05-20-2005, 11:32 AM
This is why studying opponents is so useful. There are many players that won't fire that 2nd barrel w/out a hand that would beat yours. It also keeps the pot small and looks like how you could play trips. I'm not saying raising the flop is bad or wrong, in fact, it's fine. Just wanted to make sure you consider it against certain opponents and as a way to vary your play. In any case, unless you hit an 8, you're probably not playing a big pot, so just figure out a way to either get him to fold a better hand or minimize your loss if you're not best.

In this case, your raise told you what you needed to know so it was fine. I'd probably raise here 70-80% of the time barring reads.

chuddo
05-20-2005, 11:41 AM
no, all the chippeys are going in the middle, tough break.

i like the raise on the flop.

had you not filled up on the turn, firing out that same bet would have been a good idea, followed by checking behind the river.

creedofhubris
05-20-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So to the question. Could I have got away from this hand on the river if I had played it differently or was this one of those situations where you are destined to lose all your chips?

Fuchida

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Yes.