PDA

View Full Version : KK on the button question

1Winston
05-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Should I have played this differently?
$15 Party NL multi-tourny. 1600 players to start, 500 left.
blinds are 75/150. No reads on the table yet, only my second or third hand since being moved.
UTG+1 raises to 450
mp+2 calls 450

I'm sitting on the button with KK and only 1175 in chips.
I've been card dead and need some chips to work with. I decide I can either call and hope the flop is low, or push.

Since I am relatively short stacked, I decide to push and hope to get in a heads up race. UTG+1 pushes too, for about 2600 total....sweet, here is my heads up race. MP+2 calls the push and is all in too, with about 2100 total chips. Okay, maybe I can triple up.

I don't think table cards are important to divulge in this situation, just wondering if this is the smart play? or should I have just called? or something else?
I'm relatively new to posting here, Is this enough information for an analysis?
Thanks all

adanthar
05-20-2005, 11:01 AM
No you shouldn't just call, sorry you lost to AA or possibly AK with an A on the flop or whatever

1Winston
05-20-2005, 11:04 AM
LOL... I didn't.

1Winston
05-20-2005, 01:34 PM
This wasn't meant to be a bad beat post or anything of the sort. Yes I did get beat on the hand.... the MP+2 guy called with pocket 2's and hit his set on the turn. I'm not complaining, I know more often than not, I will take his money.

In hindsight, it made me think that maybe I should have flat called the pre-flop bet and when the flop came up rags, then pushed. This guy apparently wanted to gamble though, so I'm not sure it really would have mattered in this instance. But, it just made me curious as to what the correct play was, given the circumstances.

1Winston
05-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Can anyone help me get over the hindsight thing? Did I make the right play or should I have called only?

randommuppet
05-20-2005, 09:29 PM
id say push every time, you were right, he was wrong, cards happen

Superfluous Man
05-21-2005, 03:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I have played this differently?
$15 Party NL multi-tourny. 1600 players to start, 500 left.
blinds are 75/150. No reads on the table yet

[/ QUOTE ]
This is where I no reads any further. Oh man, I slay me.

And folding KK preflop is the right play, but only if I'm the one putting you all-in. And then it's really only the right play (i.e. good) for me, not you.

mpitts
05-21-2005, 10:49 AM
This is definitely a tough spot. If you just flat call the raise and push any flop, you might get the other two players out of the pot. But you have to ask yourself if that is what you really want. With KK, if no A shows up on the flop, you are going to wish that you got all your money in preflop.

I would gladly push all of my money in preflop with KK unless I had reason to believe one of the other two players had AA. And with the fact that the BB is already 150 and there is already 1125 in the pot, pushing your stack of 1175 is definitely the best move.

illini43
05-21-2005, 12:34 PM
I agree with your preflop push. You want to get your money into the pot, especially when you are short-stacked with a hand like KK unless you are almost positive that you are up against AA.