PDA

View Full Version : Does the buyin in MTTs affect effectiveness of bubble steals?

beenben
05-20-2005, 05:52 AM
I played in a $20 MTT on Stars, was kind of short stacked and pushed several times on the bubble, was not called, and got my stack to above average. I tried the same thing in a $50 and was called. Of course, the guy in the $50 had aces, but I was wondering if it works less well at higher buy ins.

Sluss
05-20-2005, 06:34 AM
Aces are calling at every buy-in. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Every tournament where they pay money there will be a couple of people who just want to make money for their two hours of work. Find these people, relieve them of their chips. And hopefully you have enough chips where your just raising and not open pushing.

whiskeytown
05-20-2005, 06:37 AM
right -

remember there is a difference between raising (or stealing) and pushing - (going all in) -

a person who just raises is going to have a higher proportion of callers/re-raisers - whereas if you're pushing, it'll be smaller.

Why? - simply because by pushing, you take away the tool of the bluff, which means they can't call unless they think they can win -- some would call and go all in on the flop thinking they can get you off the hand (if the flop is crap) and some will reraise -

I think results are the same no matter the buyin, but there is a difference between pushing and just raising 5 times the BB -

RB

TonyS0pran0
05-20-2005, 08:50 AM
I've played every level of tournament on just about every site and I would have to say no. Doesn't matter what the buy in is at all, there are still people out there ready to crack your KK late with A2 off.

schwza
05-20-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I played in a $20 MTT on Stars, was kind of short stacked and pushed several times on the bubble, was not called, and got my stack to above average. I tried the same thing in a $50 and was called. Of course, the guy in the $50 had aces, but I was wondering if it works less well at higher buy ins.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is a really good question, and the answers have been disappointing so far. is the tendency to fold too much on the bubble stronger at higher or lower buy-ins?

augie00
05-20-2005, 10:45 AM
In my experience (MTT buyins ranging from $5-$650), anyone who cares about sneaking into the money isn't concerned what the buyin is. The number of people who will stall to their $9 payday for 225th in a Stars $5 MTT is the same as the number of people who will stall to their $300 payday in the sunday 350k.

In fact, I am confident in saying that the lower buyin MTTs have MORE players playing weak-tight trying to sneak into the money than the higher buyins, simply because more players in the higher buyins know that you must make the final table to win any meaningful money.

betgo
05-20-2005, 11:41 AM
I have heard there are a lot people playing tight on the bubble in $10K tournaments.

In online rebuys it is a lot harder to steal around the bubble, as these attract lots of aggressive players.

I think the prize structure is important. In Party tournaments, often the prize money doesn't increase much from 70th place to 11th place, so more people are playing not to bust out on the bubble. I wouldn't fold good hands or avoid stealing, but making the money is actually worth something, particularly if you are a really short stack.

In a tournament where two tables pay, more people are going to have their eye on the top prizes once there are 25 players left, so it is harder to steal.

NickPoker
05-20-2005, 11:59 AM
I would guess at the High end tournemants, which have many players who qualify via a satellite there would be more people tighting up on the bubble because any payout is significant compared to the investment if they qualified by satellite.