PDA

View Full Version : "People who don't live in New York must be, in some sense, kidding."

jcmack13
05-20-2005, 03:37 AM
I've lived all over the world, grew up in California, D.C., Maryland, Morocco, India, South Africa, Ethiopia, seen the sunrise in the Sahara, the sun set on the Seine, been to the Taj Mahal, Mt. Kilimanjaro, and the Kalahari, and after living in New York City for three years, there hasn't been a morning that I've woken up and not thought, "damn. this is the greatest place in the whole. [censored]. world."

How does anyone live anywhere else?

Grisgra
05-20-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've lived all over the world, grew up in California, D.C., Maryland, Morocco, India, South Africa, Ethiopia, seen the sunrise in the Sahara, the sun set on the Seine, been to the Taj Mahal, Mt. Kilimanjaro, and the Kalahari, and after living in New York City for three years, there hasn't been a morning that I've woken up and not thought, "damn. this is the greatest place in the whole. [censored]. world."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the same thing about California.

daryn
05-20-2005, 03:41 AM
there are better places in the world to live than where i live.

new york isn't one of them

nothumb
05-20-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy... we just pull our heads out of our asses and start driving away as fast as we can.

NT

jason_t
05-20-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

goofball
05-20-2005, 05:19 AM
I think the same thing about the Pacific northwest

Jack of Arcades
05-20-2005, 05:22 AM
I think the same thing about south-central, Louisiana.

The best thing about text is that you don't even have to try to maintain a straight face.

peachy
05-20-2005, 05:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel this way about atlanta

Dr. Strangelove
05-20-2005, 05:48 AM
Er...I was under the impression that *I* lived in the coolest place on earth. Note: these pictures don't really do the place justice.

http://www.wildnatureimages.com/images%202/040602-010..jpg

http://www.worldfromtheweb.com/Parks/Columbia/42730_20.jpg dy/Wood%205366-Crown%20Point-Columbia%20River%20Gorge-Oregon-WA%203.JPG

http://209.15.42.2/images/Artworks/WoodjpgEmailReady/Wood%205366-Crown%20Point-Columbia%20River%20Gorge-Oregon-WA%203.JPG

http://students.washington.edu/tomchr/pictures/TheGorge/ColumbiaRiver-2.jpg

http://www.htmlhelp.com/~liam/Oregon/ColumbiaRiverGorge/MultnomahFalls9.jpg

Great picture of kiteboarder with Mt. Hood in background (click on bottom right picture) (http://longshadowphoto.com/gallery_crg2.htm#)

http://www.oregonscenics.com/mo-mt-adams.jpg

http://webs.lanset.com/pyamagata/Images/VacImages/NWLoop99/HoodRiver.jpg

http://www.neworegontrail.com/mthood-l.jpg

http://www.angier-fox.com/images/0308-washington/image/DSC_2050.jpg

http://www.jfoto.com/Images/Jshotz/Windsurf/HCorridorspray.JPG

Shoe
05-20-2005, 05:53 AM
Awesome!

goofball
05-20-2005, 05:59 AM
where in portland do you live?

jason_t
05-20-2005, 06:04 AM
Now I miss Portland. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Blarg
05-20-2005, 06:06 AM
To get away from people who live in New York.

hicherbie
05-20-2005, 06:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOVE NY, and i will probably live there for a while. but there is nothing like sunshine all year round.

jason_t
05-20-2005, 06:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOVE NY, and i will probably live there for a while. but there is nothing like sunshine all year round.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there isn't. Also, the girls.

Dr. Strangelove
05-20-2005, 06:45 AM
I live in White Salmon, which is right across the river from Hood River, which is 60 miles east of Portland.

billyjex
05-20-2005, 07:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gris, where do you live in cali?

Phoenix1010
05-20-2005, 07:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen.

goofball
05-20-2005, 07:30 AM
Living in Vegas, I miss both Portland and Seattle.

They can't be topped.

Luv2DriveTT
05-20-2005, 08:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have lived in NY nearly all my life, and its truly amazing here, but as I get older I long to move elsewhere. The only problem is I've never found a place as wonderful in the USA. I really like San Fran, and I love Phoenix (best of both worlds for me), and if it wasn't for the dam politicians everywhere I'd love DC too... but for me to willingly leave NYC it would probably have to be for a foreign country.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

jackdaniels
05-20-2005, 08:51 AM
The OP did name some great places around the world where he visited and lived. I too have a similar experience, and have lived in multiple countries/visited multiple cities around the globe. I even lived in NY for about 5 years (Brooklyn baby!). But I must say that the best place in the world to live in is Vancouver BC. TT, if you get a chance to visit, do so and your search for a place to live will likely grind to a halt - BC is the place to be!

MicroBob
05-20-2005, 08:51 AM
NY would probably make my list of top 100 places I would like to live.

It doesn't make my top 5 places in the U.S. though.

There are many terrific aspects to NY and I experienced a handful of them in brief experience there.
But the #1 thing it has going against it is the ratio of annoying to cool New Yorkers residing there.

Paluka
05-20-2005, 09:23 AM
Living in NYC is amazing. I never thought I would say that, but after living here for 6 years I have been convinced.

BottlesOf
05-20-2005, 09:27 AM
"The true New Yorker secretly believes that people living anywhere else have to be, in some sense, kidding." -John Updike

To your question--I honestly don't know the answer.

Voltron87
05-20-2005, 09:34 AM
New York City is the correct answer. There are other nice places to vacation, maybe spend a month or two, but the answer is nyc. Upstate (by that I mean westchester, I am a real new yorker) does not count.

AviD
05-20-2005, 09:50 AM
I don't feel this way about any "place" and certainly not NYC, although I've been to NYC quite a few times I avoid it like the plague.

My preference is remote areas, mountains, rivers...but that could be because I've grown up in overpopulated areas throughout my life and want to get away from them, in conjunction with my affinity for outdoor recreation. Hence my avoidance of NYC.

But I have to agree there are few places in the world that offer as much diversity as NYC.

You pretty much have everything within close driving distance (city life, beaches, mountains, etc). My only gripe is traffic, cost of living/life, overpopulation, and mediocre destinations (purely opinion) in respect to my personal hobbies. Everything in the NJ area at least seems fair when it comes to outdoor hobbies, primarily hunting, freshwater fishing, and snowboarding, but is quite exceptional in respect to saltwater fishing...and of course you have AC! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Still trying to find my "magic place"

lucas9000
05-20-2005, 10:09 AM
ny > all. i'm seriously considering moving back.

CCass
05-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Reasons why NYC isn't close to being the best place on earth to live:

Crime
Cost of living
Ratio of assholes to nice people
Idiotic laws
Yankees fans
Cold Weather
Massive buildings

I could go on.

Voltron87
05-20-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Crime
Cost of living
Idiotic laws
Yankees fans
Cold Weather
Massive buildings

I could go on.

[/ QUOTE ]

crime? this is 2005, not 1988.

jakethebake
05-20-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
there are better places in the world to live than where i live.

new york isn't one of them

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put.

BottlesOf
05-20-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel this way about atlanta

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a LOL right there.

Shajen
05-20-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's a LOL right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I live in Atlanta, and trust me peachy, it is a cool place, but there are much much better places to live.

I'm moving eventually.

MaxPower
05-20-2005, 11:06 AM
If you find someone who hates New York, you need to ask them how much time they have spent here. Most of them have never been here, were here only briefly, or are from some nearby city like Boston or Philadelphia and hate us for some sports related reason. Boston I give respect to, but Philadelphia is barely a city anymore - It peaked before the revolution /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nobody who has spent considerable time in New York City hates the city. I have met many older people who have told me that they spent their whole life hating New York and then finally came to visit and found out that they love it here.

Paluka
05-20-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Crime
Cost of living
Idiotic laws
Yankees fans
Cold Weather
Massive buildings

I could go on.

[/ QUOTE ]

NYC has less crime than most big cities at this point. The cost of living is high, but the city also has more high paying jobs than any other city in the U.S.

xadrez
05-20-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Crime

[/ QUOTE ]

Two common miconceptions/generalizations about NY that are laughable. Crime? NY is remarkable safe, even in the some of the worst neighborhoods. As someone mentioned before, its not 1988 anymore...

NYers can appear brusque (is that the word?), but deep down they're great people.

jakethebake
05-20-2005, 11:25 AM
I enjoy being able to drive my car. And by drive I don't mean what people do in New York. I also like having a nice big back yard where I can play with my kids and my dog can take a crap. I don't like noise. I don't like being crammed in close with all those people. I don't like paying $14 for a bourbon & water.

Dynasty
05-20-2005, 11:28 AM
I like Las Vegas. But, today just happens to be the day of the year I dread the most.

Las Vegas weather report (http://www.reviewjournal.com/weather/)

We're hitting a high of 100 degrees for the first time (according to this web page) and are staying there. Sunday will seee a high of 106.

IndieMatty
05-20-2005, 11:32 AM
There are a lot of great places to live. New York is one of them. If I had a family and was not from here, I wouldn't want to live here. (re: Jake's last post).

I'd love to live someplace else for a year (considering a move to Chicago or SF if work offers it in the next few years).

But I will always be a New Yorker, I'll live in this city, hopefully raise a family here. No place can compare to it.

jakethebake
05-20-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We're hitting a high of 100 degrees for the first time (according to this web page) and are staying there. Sunday will seee a high of 106.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's a dryyyy heat... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RunDownHouse
05-20-2005, 11:34 AM
I think NYC is a cool city, but I just couldn't stand living with all of those New Yorkers.

Aside from the people, though, its great.

ElSapo
05-20-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the most annoying thing about New Yorkers is that they believe this. I like NYC, it's a fine place. But there are many kinds of people in many kinds of places, and your stuck up love for the city that looks down on all other cities doesn't make those people wrong or "kidding."

New York is fine.

New Yorkers are fine.

New Yorkers who think they're god's gift because they live in NYC can kiss my ass.

Paluka
05-20-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think NYC is a cool city, but I just couldn't stand living with all of those New Yorkers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's hear about all the awesomely bad experiences you've had with New Yorkers.

Dominic
05-20-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like Las Vegas. But, today just happens to be the day of the year I dread the most.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just moved to Vegas...the heat doesn't bother me...I've lived in N.Y. Atlanta and Miami (also L.A.)...believe me, when it gets hot in THOSE places, you sweat your balls off.

At least it ain't humid. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

NY is great.
LA is great.
Miami is great.
Atlanta is almost great.

And all for completely different reasons.

I'm liking Vegas so far...it's a little smaller than what I'm used to...harder to find great little ethnic restaurants, foreign and indpendent film, etc. But it seems to be growing more cosmipolitan, and I look forward to experiencing that growth first hand...

jakethebake
05-20-2005, 11:50 AM
I'll always remember my first night ever in NYC. It was for a conference at the Plaza in early December. I got in kinda late. The plane was delayed because of the weather. It was like a 45 minute cab ride at like midnight from the airport. I get out of the cab and the first thing I see is this little girl, like maybe 12 years old in a catholic school uniform with a bookbag walking down the street all alone. I was shocked. Then I go inside and got my room. At around 1 am I came downstairs because I don't sleep well when I travel. I go to the Oak Bar and order a bourbon & water. It was $14. So I'm sitting there drinking my $14 bourbon & branch, when I'm solicited by a prostitute. I told her no thanks and went back to my drink. Then I decide to go across the street to a hot dog vendor I saw and some guy tears around a corner and almost runs me down while simultaneously honking, yelling an obscenity, and flipping me the bird. All this took place in my first two hours in town. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

But I've gotten over it. I don't mind visiting NYC. I've had good times there too. It has its moments. But I'm a Texas boy and there are other places I'd much rather live than NYC.

IndieMatty
05-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Wait..in your first two hours..you got solicited by a prostitute and saw a young girl in a catholic school uniform. This is like utopia for you.. I expected you to say the trip was all down hill from there.

Oh and ordering a drink at a swanky hotel bar in any city is expensive.

Sponger15SB
05-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Pictures from my balcony....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/Sponger15aa/SBSmall3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/Sponger15aa/SBSmall1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/Sponger15aa/SBSmall2.jpg

Grisgra
05-20-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

gris, where do you live in cali?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't /images/graemlins/frown.gif. Gonna someday, though . . . because I'm not retarded.

Paluka
05-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Sponger where do you live? What sort of place? How much does it cost?

groo
05-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Been to most of those places too. Everytime I go to NYC I think, "This place would be really cool for like a month." Don't think I could cope for longer though. Give me the heat and dryness of the desert, I'll be playing golf in 113 degrees on sunday /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paluka
05-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Honestly, I think it is pretty tough to judge what living anywhere would be like without actually doing it. New York may seem crazy and dirty and stressfull on a visit, but living here you learn all the things that make it so good. And I'm sure there are beautiful, peaceful, relaxing places in the Pacific Northwest that seem great but after a month they are boring as [censored].

Sponger15SB
05-20-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its $580 to share the "master" (its still small) bedroom in a 4bd/2ba in Santa Barbara (Isla Vista), right next to UCSB.

I'm moving to another house literally right next to campus (http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=3136&mode=sequential&flags=0&year= 2002) , so I've got a huge open space to the left of my house and just a giganitic view of campus point, and its gonna be $415 to share a room, in a 3bd/2ba

jcmack13
05-20-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"The true New Yorker secretly believes that people living anywhere else have to be, in some sense, kidding." -John Updike

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I knew I didn't get it quite right, but was too tired to look up the correct quote. Another line I really like is from John Lennon: "In Roman times I would live in Rome. Where else? Now, America is the Roman empire and New York is Rome itself."

One summer before I moved here, my Dad, who HATES New York, btw, and I visited the city and stayed with a friend of his from college who lived in Brooklyn. We started talking about American cities, and this friend, long time Brooklyn native, said, "When you get right down to it, the capital of the United States isn't D.C., it's L.A."

My Dad, confused, said, "What about New York?"

"New York," he replied, "is the capital of the world."

Paluka
05-20-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its $580 to share the "master" (its still small) bedroom in a 4bd/2ba in Santa Barbara (Isla Vista), right next to UCSB.

I'm moving to another house literally right next to campus (http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=3136&mode=sequential&flags=0&year= 2002) , so I've got a huge open space to the left of my house and just a giganitic view of campus point, and its gonna be $415 to share a room, in a 3bd/2ba

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are paying $600 to share a bedroom with another dude?

jcmack13
05-20-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now I miss Portland. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to bed after starting this thread, and when I got up and read the first couple of replies, I thought, Man, everyone in the world loves the Portland and the West Coast. Then it hit me. I posted at 3:30 am EST. Time zones. duh.

It's interesting to read this in flat mode and read as various parts of the country wake up and start defending their hometown.

Sponger15SB
05-20-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you are paying $600 to share a bedroom with another dude?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

In the house I'm in now, the other rooms are $480 to share a room, and 1 guy has a single for $700.

jcmack13
05-20-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everytime I go to NYC I think, "This place would be really cool for like a month."

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems to be the case for a lot of people. I've noticed New York has a very polarizing effect of people. No, not polarizing, but a stratification. People filter out into different levels. Some people hate new york and never want to so much as smell the air, some enjoy it for a weekend and then need to get the hell out, some burn out after one month, some one year. And some, like me, are mesmerized from the first moment they see the skyline and feel the same way years later. I never, never, never want to leave. Some people find New York cold, and I don't really understand this. No place has ever seemed more alive to me.

Paluka
05-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Cali does seem so nice, but unless I want to be a poker pro it isn't too likely in my future.

Sponger15SB
05-20-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cali does seem so nice, but unless I want to be a poker pro it isn't too likely in my future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you ever want to get out of the kiddie pool that is $300-600 on interpoker and start making moves.....

Evan
05-20-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Massive buildings

[/ QUOTE ]
The others, although inaccurate, make sense in theory I suppose. I don't get how the size of buildings is a negative.

Sponger15SB
05-20-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Massive buildings

[/ QUOTE ]
The others, although inaccurate, make sense in theory I suppose. I don't get how the size of buildings is a negative.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the pictures I posted, then imagine being down on the street in this one...

http://www.wrightimages.com/Images/Landscape/New%20York/New%20York%20City/Skyline%20View%201.jpg

Seems pretty terrible to be surrounded by huge buildings all the time.

Paluka
05-20-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you ever want to get out of the kiddie pool that is $300-600 on interpoker and start making moves.....

[/ QUOTE ]

300/600 feels a lot safer when you have a good job with benefits to fall back on. When you are a poker pro that 3/6 game suddenly means a lot more.

jakethebake
05-20-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Massive buildings

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It adds to the crowded feel. I feel smothered by them.

Paluka
05-20-2005, 01:02 PM
I actually like the huge buildings. That is a lot cooler than living in an endless crappy suburb like LA.

IndieMatty
05-20-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Massive buildings

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the pictures I posted, then imagine being down on the street in this one...

http://www.wrightimages.com/Images/Landscape/New%20York/New%20York%20City/Skyline%20View%201.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I always joke that my friend (who moved to San Diego) who get's all disorientated in the city was scared of big buildings...now I find, YOU are really scared of big buildings. Is this common?

PoBoy321
05-20-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it's just a matter of preference, but I think that those buildings are far more beautiful than those beach pictures you posted.

Dynasty
05-20-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just moved to Vegas...the heat doesn't bother me...I've lived in N.Y. Atlanta and Miami (also L.A.)...believe me, when it gets hot in THOSE places, you sweat your balls off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wait. If you haven't felt the peak summer heat, you're in for a "treat".

It's not the 100 degrees which bothers me. It's what it signals is coming. 105 degrees seems to be a barrier. When it gets above that, it becomes really oppressive.

When it breaks 112 in July, come back and tell me it's not so bad.

drexah
05-20-2005, 01:09 PM
bias and denial.

yankees suck.

jakethebake
05-20-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yankees suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yankees? Or The Yankees?

jcmack13
05-20-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it's just a matter of preference, but I think that those buildings are far more beautiful than those beach pictures you posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Though I concede those balcony sunset views are pretty fantastic.

BigD226
05-20-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I enjoy being able to drive my car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Move to NYC and you won't be missing car payments, buying gas, insurance, maintenance, parking, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
I also like having a nice big back yard where I can play with my kids and my dog can take a crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Central Park is the best backyard on the planet, and its not close.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither. Thats why I live on a side street and not an avenue. Even then, shut your window.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like being crammed in close with all those people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crammed where? Do you plan on having people living in your closet? Contrary to popular belief, it isnt all that difficult to find a good apartment in a great location with all the space you need.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like paying $14 for a bourbon & water.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just retarded...I pay $5-$7 at all my favorite bars, no different than anywhere else.

NYC > Rest of the world.

M2d
05-20-2005, 02:52 PM
nice pics, but you only get that three months of the year.

FishNChips
05-20-2005, 02:55 PM
I live in San Diego. "America's Finest City". Weather Forcast for the forseeable future (i.e. May thru October) is 72 and Sunny. You will NOT find better weather anywhere in the US (can't speak internationally, but I would doubt you'll find better weather anywhere in the world... but I'm sure someone will corrct this).
But you pay for the weater... SD cost of living is 40% above the National Average. I don't know where NYC falls in cost of living, but I'm guessing its in the same ballpark. Probably higher housing cost in Manhattan than SD, but Brooklyn/Queens are probably less.

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crime

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two common miconceptions/generalizations about NY that are laughable. Crime? NY is remarkable safe, even in the some of the worst neighborhoods. As someone mentioned before, its not 1988 anymore...

NYers can appear brusque (is that the word?), but deep down they're great people

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll defend NYers here. I lived in Albany, NY (upstate sucks for those that care). My wife and I visited "The City" often and while its very easy to get around in, its also easy to get a bit turned around and not know quite where to go. Just ask a NYer and they'll help you out though. Seriously, we asked for food suggestions, directions, people to take pictures about 100 times and not a single "FU buddy!" They were quick and short and in a hurry, but they took the 30 seconds to say "you want train #6, entrance is 2 blocks up and 1 block over." Don't ask them to repeat it 'cuz they're gone, but never ever rude.

NYCity folk are good folk - just in a hurry. And their ego / sense of superiority about where they live is not as big as Texans. Don't get me started on Texans...

FishNChips
SanDiegan

Paluka
05-20-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Crammed where? Do you plan on having people living in your closet? Contrary to popular belief, it isnt all that difficult to find a good apartment in a great location with all the space you need.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, this part is a bit of a stretch. Real estate here is absurd.

M2d
05-20-2005, 03:02 PM
I grew up in Hawaii (my vote for greatest place to live, btw), have spent a lot of time in vegas in the summer, spent a few summers in sacramento and been in 110+ in Oregon. The hottest and most uncomfortable I've ever been was in the NYC subway last indian summer. it wasn't even real summer for criminy's sake. Now I know what dim sum feels like when it's being cooked.

jakethebake
05-20-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Move to NYC and you won't be missing car payments, buying gas, insurance, maintenance, parking, etc.

Me neither. Thats why I live on a side street and not an avenue. Even then, shut your window.

This is just retarded...I pay $5-$7 at all my favorite bars, no different than anywhere else.

NYC > Rest of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty funny post. Perhaps you need to read closer. I LIKE driving my car. Any side street in NYC is still 100x louder than anywhere else. Central Park is NOT a backyard. If you don't know the difference you need to at least try living somewhere else. If you really think an apartment is space and that NYC is not crowded then again, you should at least try living somewhere else before posting such absurdities. Downplaying how much someone else likes or dislikes these characterisitics is one thing, but pretending they don't exist is just silly.

slickpoppa
05-20-2005, 03:21 PM
I love NYC, but some people who live in NYC gain way too much self esteem from the fact that they happen to live on that tiny island with 1 million other people.

IndieMatty
05-20-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love NYC, but some people who live in NYC gain way too much self esteem from the fact that they happen to live on that tiny island with 1 million other people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that theres a lot of people who get a big ego boost from living here. It's annoying. What's the worst is my parents think everyone's like that. I'm always dressed "so manhattan (I wear a hardcore t-shirt and jeans 85% of the time) or when I go home and say something "anti-Long Island," They'll be all "Oh, sorry if it isn't Manhattan enough for you"; meanwhile I'm just commenting on the new Restaurant at the corner that sucks.

Oh and there's lot more then 1 million...

IndieMatty
05-20-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

NYC > Rest of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty funny post. Perhaps you need to read closer. I LIKE driving my car. Any side street in NYC is still 100x louder than anywhere else. Central Park is NOT a backyard. If you don't know the difference you need to at least try living somewhere else. If you really think an apartment is space and that NYC is not crowded then again, you should at least try living somewhere else before posting such absurdities. Downplaying how much someone else likes or dislikes these characterisitics is one thing, but pretending they don't exist is just silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with you. To each their own. One thing, I live on the UWS 6 buildings from broadway. It's actually very quiet.

BigD226
05-20-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you need to read closer. I LIKE driving my car.

[/ QUOTE ]

So did I before moving here. Don't miss it in the least.

[ QUOTE ]
Central Park is NOT a backyard. If you don't know the difference you need to at least try living somewhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I lived in the country all my life until moving to NYC three years ago. Nice try, though. As for Central Park, I do consider it my backyard as do all NYers who live so close to it. I guess its personal preference, but I'll take it over the country anytime.

[ QUOTE ]
If you really think an apartment is space and that NYC is not crowded then again, you should at least try living somewhere else before posting such absurdities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I say it wasn't crowded? Once again, I've lived in the country most of my life, and in some pretty big houses. The point was that your generalizations of overcrowding and everyone living in a closet in NYC is just not true. Far from it.

[ QUOTE ]
Downplaying how much someone else likes or dislikes these characterisitics is one thing, but pretending they don't exist is just silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also silly to make dumb over-generalizations to prove your point, such as....

[ QUOTE ]
Any side street in NYC is still 100x louder than anywhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't spent much time in NY have you?

jakethebake
05-20-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did I say it wasn't crowded? Once again, I've lived in the country most of my life, and in some pretty big houses. The point was that your generalizations of overcrowding and everyone living in a closet in NYC is just not true. Far from it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't say anything about living in closets! YOU said that!...LOL. I was talking about how crowded the city is. It is crowded relative to almost anywhere else, certainly in this country. This is a mathematical fact based on pop/Sq. mile so it's silly to argue.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. I go there pretty regularly as a matter of fact. And as I said before, it's o.k. to visit. I usually enjoy it.

jakethebake
05-20-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I completely agree with you. To each their own. One thing, I live on the UWS 6 buildings from broadway. It's actually very quiet.

[/ QUOTE ]

O.k. to it's possible to achieve some quiet while sitting in your apartment. That doesn't change the fact that NYC, outside of your apartment, is noisier. I wouldn't want to spend the majority of my life sitting inside my house just because i prefer some amount of quiet. But to each his own. You like the sounds of the city, and that's fine. I'm just saying why I wouldn't choose to live there.

Alobar
05-20-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"damn. this is the greatest place in the whole. [censored]. world."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, its going to be an ever greater place to live when the terorists finally nuke it

slickpoppa
05-20-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If we are just talking about Manhattan island, then there are 1.5 million ( link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan) )

IndieMatty
05-20-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If we are just talking about Manhattan island, then there are 1.5 million ( link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan) )

[/ QUOTE ]

5 years ago...yeah though close enough I guess?

BigD226
05-20-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anything about living in closets! YOU said that!...LOL. I was talking about how crowded the city is. It is crowded relative to almost anywhere else, certainly in this country. This is a mathematical fact based on pop/Sq. mile so it's silly to argue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was trying to point out that it doesnt feel as crowded as it is.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. I go there pretty regularly as a matter of fact. And as I said before, it's o.k. to visit. I usually enjoy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK then...so you should know that there are plenty of quiet spots and that not every bar charges $14 for bourbon and water. /images/graemlins/wink.gif There's a lot more to NYC than Times Square and similar tourist traps.

IndieMatty
05-20-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

O.k. to it's possible to achieve some quiet while sitting in your apartment. That doesn't change the fact that NYC, outside of your apartment, is noisier. I wouldn't want to spend the majority of my life sitting inside my house just because i prefer some amount of quiet. But to each his own. You like the sounds of the city, and that's fine. I'm just saying why I wouldn't choose to live there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I totally understand....hick.

slickpoppa
05-20-2005, 03:47 PM
you may want to deleta that post

Homer
05-20-2005, 03:50 PM

Easy, NY is a shithole.

IndieMatty
05-20-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, its going to be an ever greater place to live when the terorists finally nuke it

[/ QUOTE ]

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOO

TStoneMBD
05-20-2005, 04:11 PM
if im going to spend a ridiculous amount of money on living expenses, i would take hawaii over nyc any day. imo, beaches/paradise>skyscrapers/city.

ive never lived in new york city, but have been there many times. its a nice place for sure, the good parts anyway. i dont think id want to live there though. most people who live in nyc are total jerkoffs. the way they drive resembles how they treat people. its a disgrace to mankind.

manhatten definitely has a much higher prestige, and the people are certainly nicer because they live happy lives if they are near central park. if you live in any of the burrows however, life will probably be hell for you.

its too loud, crowded and noisy for tranquility. there is definitely always something to do/someone to do though, which makes nyc a great place.

however, scuba diving with tropical fish and surfing off white beaches is what i would believe to be my true paradise, even though ive never experienced it. hopefully one day i will.

http://www.cslab.ece.ntua.gr/~pbassios/hawaii.jpg http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~junliu/Photos/hawaii.jpg http://www.tssphoto.com/ops_images/E11/E1163.jpg

jba
05-20-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's hear about all the awesomely bad experiences you've had with New Yorkers.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of assholes in NYC. There are a lot of people in NYC.

There are few assholes in des moines. There are few people in des moines.

NYC has the most assholes and the most cool people, the most ugly chicks and the most hot chicks. NYC is the best.

and I'm from Boston.

(clearly the yankees suck though)

GreywolfNYC
05-20-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a native New Yorker. I was here on 9/11/01, in my office eight blocks from the Trade Center. What I saw with my own eyes, in my own city, in the days that followed made me prouder than I have ever been in my life to be an American, and especially a New Yorker.
Don't think that we're going to lose any sleep over you not liking us.

GreywolfNYC
05-20-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Congratulations. You just proved yourself to be 2+2's stupidest poster. Ever.

masse75
05-20-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel just the same way.
http://www.johnrocker.net/images/john_nypd.jpg

RunDownHouse
05-20-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yankees suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yankees? Or The Yankees?

[/ QUOTE ]
Both.

TStoneMBD
05-20-2005, 05:31 PM
is that john rocker?

CCass
05-20-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Crime
Cost of living
Idiotic laws
Yankees fans
Cold Weather
Massive buildings

I could go on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes crime is better than it used to be in NYC, but it is still far worse than in most of the "rural" south where I have lived for most of my life.

As for Cost of Living - where I live, my family of 5 is Upper Middle Class with a less than 90K a year income. We have a 2400 sq ft home on 1.5 acres. 90K won't go very far in NYC, and 2400 sq ft with 1.5 acres would be nearly impossible to find.

I didn't say that all NY'ers were bad, quite the contrary. I met many super good folks when I lived there, but there are greater numbers of assholes to contend with in NYC.

Yankees fans and cold weather we have here also, just not as much /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Massive buildings - I guess it depends on what you like. I like being able to see the sky without looking straight up. I like to see trees and hills and green stuff for miles around. Can't do that in NYC.

And FYI, I lived in the city during the summer of '87 and '88, so while my experience might be dated, I do have 1st had knowledge of living there. Also, there are a lot of reasons to like living in NYC, just not enough to outweigh living in the country.

CORed
05-20-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But it's a dryyyy heat...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, so is a kiln.

MaxPower
05-20-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Easy, NY is a shithole.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess thats why you live in that paradise known as Allentown /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nothing beats Springfield.

DeezNuts
05-20-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Vegas is one of the WORST places in the U.S. to live, if you take away the gambling.

DN

Voltron87
05-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Couple things:

To whoever said they paid 14$ for a bourbon. Good job going to a tourist trap.

To whoever said every NYC side street was loud. That's just wrong. Maybe in Midtown (30th-60th), but everywhere else that's just not true.

To whoever said crime was a problem. I'll repeat, it's not 1988.

To whoever said it's expensive. Yes, it is expensive, but salaries in general are higher here. The only way it really gets unmanageable without a large income is if you have 2-3 kids. Kids are really, really, expensive in NYC, school, bigger house, etc. Manhattan is expensive for the same reason BMWs are expensive: They're both awesome.

And New Yorkers are really not assholes, at least not above the national average.

Evan
05-20-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Massive buildings

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Gimme just a second and I'll do my very best to imagine it.

twang
05-20-2005, 08:05 PM
"The true New Yorker secretly believes that people living anywhere else have to be, in some sense, kidding."

I would belive the reason why they secretly belive this is because

A. this presupposes that there is a place that is objectively the best. It doesn't matter if you are afraid of big buildings or get your biggest kicks from watching sunsets: City X is the best for everyone, period.

B. if A is true (no matter how absurd that idea is), NY is actually the best place to live, period.

Of course, John Updike is dead wrong. NYers don't secretly belive this, they usually speak it out loud.

/twang

MicroBob
05-20-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When it breaks 112 in July, come back and tell me it's not so bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. That sucks.

My first real visit to Vegas for the WSOP happens to take place from late June to mid-July.

And I'm already a pretty sweaty guy to begin with.

What do we think of the chances of the WSOP prelims and main-event (in whatever convention room they're in at the Rio) being annoyingly hot.
Convention rooms oftentimes tend to have crappy A/C anyway.

I'm sure I'll like Vegas plenty...but I'll probably think, "maybe I should come back in the winter."

Regarding the whole NY thing.
Hey...some people here have pride in their city. That's dandy.

But the condescending attitude of "We're the greatest" is really annoying.
I have had ZERO bad experiences with New yorkers....and I don't mind the gruffness even.

The cocky attitude is the just the worst though.

I don't care too much for NY....and I'm not particularly a 'nature' mountains/beach kind of guy. I like cities and urbaness and action.

Cities I would prefer to live in based either on my experience there or my perception of that city (in no particular order...and just rattling a few off the top of my head):

New Orleans
San Francisco
Seattle
Boston
Wash DC
Las Vegas
Quebec City
Montreal
toronto
Vancouver
Paris
Vienna
Barcelona
Florence
London
Amsterdam
Buenos Aries
Tokyo
Hong Kong

slickpoppa
05-20-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think Vegas is one of the WORST places in the U.S. to live, if you take away the gambling.

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

So what? That is like saying women would suck if they didn't have vaginas

Dr. Strangelove
05-20-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nice pics, but you only get that three months of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

More like 6 months, but the other 6 are good too.

groo
05-20-2005, 09:33 PM
cool

Dantes
05-20-2005, 09:48 PM
my favorite nyc memory is going to a bar near the plaza, sitting down, asking what they have on tap, and getting "uh.. nothing".

djack
05-21-2005, 02:10 PM
It's amazing to me that no Texans have chimed in on this thread.

Maybe that's just because Texans don't care to read any thread with New York in the title.

I grew up on the east coast, and I'll never leave Texas.

daryn
05-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Maybe that's just because Texans can't read

rmarotti
05-22-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there isn't. Also, the girls.

[/ QUOTE ]