PDA

View Full Version : Best Domestic Beer? Best Domestic Beer Value?

jcmack13
05-20-2005, 02:46 AM
After extensive sampling, I would have to go with Yuengling ($5.19 for 6 in the city) considering most American beer is like sex in a canoe (for those who don't know the joke, it's f-cking close to water...) but i'm wondering if there is a better choice.

M2d
05-20-2005, 02:59 AM
There are so many good micros out there that it's tough to pinpoint a single "best". For value, though, I present two options.
1) in college, a few years back, a buddy of mine was selling (not sure where he got them) 40oz stroh's for a buck a piece.
2) also in college, I was walking through a store and noticed that Ranier was selling for 3.25 a twelve pack. second glance corrected me that it was 3.25 a case!!
beer is cheaper than water.

private joker
05-20-2005, 03:01 AM
Heineken? F[/i]uck that sh[/i]it!

http://40ouncebeer.com/pics24/pabst.jpg

jcmack13
05-20-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Heineken? F[/i]uck that sh[/i]it!

http://40ouncebeer.com/pics24/pabst.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

A "Blue Velvet" quote. Good Lord, what an obscure reference...

JoeC
05-20-2005, 03:15 AM
Yes Yuengling is the correct answer, this thread is over.

daryljobe777
05-20-2005, 04:10 AM
Red Dog.

theredpill5
05-20-2005, 04:16 AM
Stroh's tastes horrible. Geez. Stroh's tastes like Natural Ice and Natural Ice is horrible.

If you want some really bad beer, buy a 32 oz of Steel Reserve. LOL. Oh my god, that is bad. It comes in a really big gray colored can.

Anyway, I have a buddy who is actually in the brewery business. Not sure if you can find it on the west coast but it's called Barley Island - Blind Tiger. It's pretty damn good.

Also, Honey Brown is pretty good too.

Blarg
05-20-2005, 04:18 AM
Worst beer I ever had was canned Tecate. Tasted like it was brewed from corn chips or something -- unbelievably bland and didn't even taste like beer at all. Threw out a whole case because none of my roommates could even finish their first one.

DougOzzzz
05-20-2005, 04:31 AM
I am a micro drinker - thus my opinions will be skewed towards micros.

As far as taste/value/alcohol goes though - maybe the best I've had is Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. It generally goes for 6.99/6 - it's 8.5% ABV, which is about 1.7 times the alcohol content of a "normal" beer. So the adjusted cost/6 would be 6.99/1.7 = 4.11/6. And it's a real good beer too - middle of the road as far as imperial stouts go IMO, but that's far from an insult.

A similar price/alcohol ratio can be found in Paper City Hop Monster. It's an "imperial IPA", loaded up on hops and yet considerably sweet. I don't think it's as good as many other Imperial IPAs, such as DFH's 90 minute, Rogue's I2PA, or even Victory's Hop Wallop. But at 6.99/6 vs. 8.99/4 or 2.99/bottle, it's a great value.

As for truly cheap beers that are good - I really wouldn't know since I never see any micros at under 5.99/6. If you want value in micro brews you really need to consider ABV.

young nut
05-20-2005, 04:55 AM
Yuengling is first and Rolling Rock is a close second. Too bad they don't sell Yuengling here in Georgia, but its good stuff.

Shoe
05-20-2005, 04:57 AM
Miller Lite. And it's not even close.

Macdaddy Warsaw
05-20-2005, 04:58 AM
I'm not a big beer drinker, but there was a beer I found in Massachusetts called Blue Moon or something that was actually tasty. I usually don't enjoy the taste of beer.

Blarg
05-20-2005, 05:34 AM
Jeez, Miller Lite is just fizzy water. That's the stuff you burst into woman tears while drinking, thinking of what it might have been.

Pocket Trips
05-20-2005, 08:48 AM
You just can't beat Milwaukee'sd Best Ice for value. It is 5.6 % alcohol content and only $10 a 30 pack...

As far as quality I'd have to go with Harpoon Winter warmer... easily the best tasting beer I've ever had

RunDownHouse
05-20-2005, 09:02 AM
When I was in school, I went on a Beast Ice kick for about 3 months. I drank literally nothing but Beast Ice, and it wasn't like I was only drinking ocassionally. When I finally decided it had to end, I had a Natty Light, and it was honestly one of the best beers of my life. Everything's relative, I suppose.

The best domestic I've had is Stone's IPA. I haven't managed to find any of DFH's beers here in Nashville, with the exception of the Raison d'Etre or whatever, but I've heard nothing but great things about it.

The best domestic value is probably Amber Bock.

kenberman
05-20-2005, 09:24 AM
best value is PBR. it's cheap, and tastes as good as Bud. it is a clear level above all the really cheap beers like Beast, Strohs, etc.

far far too many "best" to choose from. my pick would probably be Hennepin, which is a Belgain ale being produced by Duvel in upstate NY.

stigmata
05-20-2005, 09:29 AM
All american beers suck ass, they have no flavour. Just import the European [censored], ya know it's better.

DougOzzzz
05-20-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
best value is PBR. it's cheap, and tastes as good as Bud. it is a clear level above all the really cheap beers like Beast, Strohs, etc.

far far too many "best" to choose from. my pick would probably be Hennepin, which is a Belgain ale being produced by Duvel in upstate NY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hennepin no doubt is a fine beer, but "cheap"? Even when 750's used to go for 3.99 (now I can't find it for less than 4.99), you're basically getting 2 beers for $4. Even the relatively high alcohol content (7.5% ABV) doesn't quite make it on par with the standard $7/6 pack for a decent pale ale.

For a 750 ml Belgian though, you can't go wrong with the Ommegang brews. I never understood why all beers in large bottles (not counting the crap they sell in 40s or 22s) cost so much more per ounce than 12 oz bottles.

kenberman
05-20-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hennepin no doubt is a fine beer, but "cheap"? Even when 750's used to go for 3.99 (now I can't find it for less than 4.99), you're basically getting 2 beers for $4. Even the relatively high alcohol content (7.5% ABV) doesn't quite make it on par with the standard $7/6 pack for a decent pale ale.

For a 750 ml Belgian though, you can't go wrong with the Ommegang brews. I never understood why all beers in large bottles (not counting the crap they sell in 40s or 22s) cost so much more per ounce than 12 oz bottles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hennepin is produced by Ommegang (they are a start-up funded by Duvel). they are both great brands. also, I was referring to the best American beer, not the best value, in my 3rd sentence.

jakethebake
05-20-2005, 10:25 AM
How many times are we going to have to do this thread?

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/01-05/0128manure.jpg

gumpzilla
05-20-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm really not that big a fan of Yuengling. It's fine, but not that great.

I'm not sure how wide it ranges, but I find that Saranac makes lots of tasty beers that generally sell for something like 5.99 for a six.

Lazymeatball
05-20-2005, 10:36 AM
I think it's time to mention:
http://www.wagnerur.hu/itallap/pia11/samuel_adams.jpg

Sure everyone can mention their favorite, nobody's ever heard of double boch chocoloate malt fine imported hops domestic micro-brew stout. But for a world renowned American beer above the economy class of Bud, Miller and Coors, Samuel Adams is far superior compared to any beer both in it's price class and in it's distribution class. But if you're gonna go cheap, Pabst is what I'm drinking right now.

MrWookie47
05-20-2005, 10:43 AM
I hear ya on the Dogfish Head brewery. Man is their beer good. I tried some of their World Wide Stout recently, after having been a longtime fan of their Raison d'whatever. That stuff has as much alcohol as port (>wine), and it tasted like sipping heaven.

FouTight
05-20-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's time to mention:
http://www.wagnerur.hu/itallap/pia11/samuel_adams.jpg

Sure everyone can mention their favorite, nobody's ever heard of double boch chocoloate malt fine imported hops domestic micro-brew stout. But for a world renowned American beer above the economy class of Bud, Miller and Coors, Samuel Adams is far superior compared to any beer both in it's price class and in it's distribution class. But if you're gonna go cheap, Pabst is what I'm drinking right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, finally, someone else who enjoys a fine DBCMFIHDMBS...

It's like heaven in a CAN.

Dale
05-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Best American beer: Magic Hat #9. If you haven't heard of it, you'll thank me someday.

gumpzilla
05-20-2005, 10:49 AM
#9 is pretty good but I'm not wild about the apricot aftertaste. I prefer Blind Faith or Humble Patience if I'm going with Magic Hat. And they're a little more expensive, so I don't think they are competitors in the value category.

BK_
05-20-2005, 10:52 AM
anyone have fat tire from colorado?

in general i think american beer sucks.

miajag81
05-20-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All american beers suck ass, they have no flavour. Just import the European [censored], ya know it's better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like a true expert. Try some American microbrews and get back to me. Not all American beer is Budweiser and Coors Light.

miajag81
05-20-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hear ya on the Dogfish Head brewery. Man is their beer good. I tried some of their World Wide Stout recently, after having been a longtime fan of their Raison d'whatever. That stuff has as much alcohol as port (>wine), and it tasted like sipping heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

My family lives quite close to the Dogfish Head brewery, and the local stores have a lot of their stuff. Honestly I have been disappointed by most of their offerings other than the 60 Minute IPA, which is outstanding.

usmfan
05-20-2005, 12:12 PM
After years of toying with different domestics and imports, micros and others, I've settled on a beer that I ask for every time: Miller Genuine Draft. It must be out of a bottle or draft, no cans. I still have the occasional guiness or bass or abita or whatever, but my first choice is usually MGD.

GFunk911
05-20-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yuengling is first and Rolling Rock is a close second. Too bad they don't sell Yuengling here in Georgia, but its good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that american beer is too watery, and you suggest Rolling Rock? I don't think you fully understood the question.

brassnuts
05-20-2005, 05:56 PM
I'm a big fan of Fat Tire. Glad to see the company has grown a lot in the last year or so, also.

I also like Sam Adams.

Those are the two best main stream domestic beers. Anchor Steam is pretty good as well, but I'm not sure it's as popular. Same with Stone Ale. There are actually a lot of very good microbrews. American beers get a bad rep because of crap like Millers, Bud, Coors... etc.

itsmesteve
05-21-2005, 12:21 AM
Anchor Steam is very good. Someone mentioned the Brooklyn Double Chocolate Stout before, which is good, but not always available (i've seen it mostly in the winter). I do like all the other Brooklyn Brewery Products. As far as a cheap - ie I'm in college and have no money- beer to drink, i've gotta cast a vote for PBR.