PDA

View Full Version : Giving a free card with a high PP when short stacked

ekky
05-20-2005, 12:24 AM
I was thinking about a scenario I was in tonight.

I was dealt AA in the BB. I had 7k.. and the blinds were 300/600.. there were 2 limpers and I raised it to 3k.. and got one caller.. making the pot 3k+3k+300+600= 6.9k

flop was 2/8/3 with 2 spades (my aces were red)

I had 4k left and there was 7k in the pot so my thinking was as follows:

If I Jam, any flush draw will call/any PP will call/any set will call

If I check, I might illicit a bluff from Ace high.

However, if I Jam, I might lose hands like QK/AQ/AK/AJ/A10.

My main thinking was, I cant really stand to lose ANYTHING, by checking here, as all the hands that might outdraw me on the turn, would call my jam on the flop anyway.

However, by checking here, I give the aforementioned QK/AQ/AK/AJ/A10 hands a chance to catch up on the turn, assuming they check behind me on the flop.

I haven't really read a lot about this move in the known books, and just wondered what you guys thought about it as a general principle.

Obviously if any scare came on the turn, my chips would be going in the pot regardless, but it just felt like it was the value play.

I say this because I checked and the caller checked, the board paired 2's.. I jammed here (because now flush draws might be a little less likely to call me, and if they did call it would be a mistake) and someone called with 5/5 and lambasted my play.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ekky
05-20-2005, 02:19 AM
i will give this one bump because I thought it was an interesting scenario.... maybe it has been beaten to death before.. if so I would really appreciate a link (I am not yet fully conversant with the search function)

Apols of this is bad etiquette, it just struck me as in interesting debatable method of thinking.

CardSharpCook
05-20-2005, 02:44 AM
I have never considered a situation and a board quite like this before. I think you played it perfectly, and I love your reasoning. With 4k behind, you can't scare out any draws, but you can let a lot of second best hands think they are good. Obviously, the call you got on the turn came because of this play (I suppose he COULD have called a flop push). Very well done, and thank you for bringing this situation to this forum.

CSC

Che
05-20-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
someone called with 5/5 and lambasted my play.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I open up a table and see someone lambasting another player, I assign the probability of one of the players being a moron as follows:

A. Lambaster is moron/lambastee is not: 30%
B. Lambaster is not moron/lambastee is: 15%
C. Both are morons: 55%

In this particular case, we have scenario A. Nice hand, ekky.

Later,
Che

--------------------------------

<font color="blue"> Playing WSOP sats on stars? Playing WSOP prelim events? </font>

Don't pay full price!

Buy W$ from me for 90 cents per W$. PM me if interested.

sdplayerb
05-20-2005, 03:34 AM
definitely want to check that flop, and for the reasons you said.
with the turn card being unscary, i may have even checked again as i'd really see no card that could hurt me.
I only check that flop with AA, not with KK.

ThrillFactor
05-20-2005, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it perfectly, and I love your reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH sir

ekky
05-20-2005, 02:59 PM
I dont like checking the turn because by betting I might be able to get the flush draws out, which with only one card to come would be to my benefit I think. (they would be getting 3/1 on a 4/1 shot so it is +EV if they call but chip considerations aside I think I would pass on this situation in order for survival, and be pleased that a flush draw folds here *)

*-- is this thinking slightly flawed? I sometimes prefer to have people fold even if by calling they offer me +EV situations, simply because at this stage I prefer to be in the tournament. Like doing a stop-and-go from the BB with 88 and getting AK to fold.

Obviously near the beginning, I take any +EV possible.