PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Buying A Bed

IggyWH
05-19-2005, 11:54 PM
I'm moving Monday and in the very near future, I'll be buying a new bed. Right now I have a twin and sick of having a small ass bed.

My bedroom in my new place will only fit a full. I've never bought a bed before so I need some advice.

1)Obviously prices are going to be different depending on where you live but what's a ballpark figure I should anticipate to spend? I want a headboard but not a footboard.

2)How do you go about picking a good matress and box springs that fits you? I have serious sleep issues and I'm convinced it's because I'm not comfortable when I sleep.

3)Is it okay to go to a cheap place like a discount store or should I fork up the money and stick with a major chain brand name?

Alobar
05-19-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm moving Monday and in the very near future, I'll be buying a new bed. Right now I have a twin and sick of having a small ass bed.

My bedroom in my new place will only fit a full. I've never bought a bed before so I need some advice.

1)Obviously prices are going to be different depending on where you live but what's a ballpark figure I should anticipate to spend? I want a headboard but not a footboard.

2)How do you go about picking a good matress and box springs that fits you? I have serious sleep issues and I'm convinced it's because I'm not comfortable when I sleep.

3)Is it okay to go to a cheap place like a discount store or should I fork up the money and stick with a major chain brand name?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fork out the money for a pimp bed. Its a lifetime investment (well not really, but at least 10 years), and you WONT be sorry.

Get a setup from one of the "big 4 S's" Sealy, serta, simmons, or sleep number. stay away from any other brand, as they are prolyl just generic knock offs.

I shelled out $800 for my queen box and mattres (middle of the line) and compared to the futon I slept on for like 10 years, its absolute heaven.

bump
05-20-2005, 12:03 AM
If you want to go high end then visit Westin Heavenly Bed (http://www.westin-hotelsathome.com/HeavenlyBed/bed.html) this is the best bed on the market today and it is not even close.

Westin and many other luxury hotels (Waldorf, Ritz, Wyndham, etc) have recently been upgrading their beds in an attempt to capture the business traveler market. In order for these luxury hotels to stay competitive now they have to upgrade their beds. You probably have seen ads for the Heavenly Bed or other similar hotel beds recently...

The Westin bed is the best of these luxury beds. It is noticibly more comfortable than any bed I have ever slept on. If you have stayed at a Westin hotel in the past couple years I would bet that you noticed this too. I have one and would HIGHLY reccomend it.

you said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These probably are more expensive than many other beds on the market ($800 for twin, $1,000 for full, $1,250 for queen, $1,450 for king) but you spend something like 33% of your life in your bed and more importantly you want to be awake and not tired when you get out of bed. Spring for the better one, this is a quality of life issue.

~B

InchoateHand
05-20-2005, 12:05 AM
I like to be low to the ground, and I've seldom met a box spring that doesn't add to a center sag even in high quality products---I vote screw the bed frame and box spring and get the nicest full mattress you can, for about $250. One of the worst things about moving from my old place to my current residence was losing the basement--now the only place to store the box spring is underneath the mattress, where the money I wasted on it tortures me night and day.

TStoneMBD
05-20-2005, 12:07 AM
i bought a foam queen sized mattress from walmart for $160 last week. (just moved). i really think its a comfortable sleep and am happy with it. i also have trouble sleeping at night with certain mattresses. i like this one. i still have to go out and purchase the other boxspring/platform/headboard type stuff because right now its a mattress laying on the floor. i probably wont purchase the boxspring as long as it looks good on a platform, because a boxspring isnt necessary with a foam mattress, especially one that doesnt cost too much.

i created a thread about this a week ago or so in this forum, you can search for it. the title of the post had either "aerobed" or "aeromattress" in it. it also had the word "sex".

i also didnt want to get a real bed because i dont know how long i will be living in my area. im kind of an on the go type gentlemen and may move across country/another country next year, who knows? foam mattresses roll up and fit into a box that costs $20 to ship. not bad.

Blarg
05-20-2005, 12:09 AM
Sealy and Simmons are very good beds.

You really want to view a bed as almost an investment, and be very serious looking around for just the right one. It has a huge effect on the quality of your life. You want your bed to be really high quality and a great place to sit or lie down, read or sleep, for a long, long time.

Luckily places like Robinsons-May, Sears, and the like have many sales per year that can sometimes even cut the price of your mattress in half, or at least knock off a few hundred dollars. Check especially the Thursday and Friday papers, where department stores tend to advertise bed sales the most.

Last time I bought a bed, it was hard to get a decent one for much under $700.

One tip: not only should you without shame roll all over any bed and lie there for a while, but what you want is support, not primarily ultra softness. You can get that with a simple mattress pad, which there are a few varieties of. And one thing cheap beds are is plenty soft.

So a bed that's just a hair less soft to your t-shirted back in the showroom is often going to be a much better buy than one that's softer but has weaker springs and changes shape too much when you crawl over it and roll around.

Beds get softer over time, too. And softer beds are worse for your back. So get the best quality bed you can possibly afford, and don't be afraid to get a really firm one and just put a mattress pad over it, or slowly get used to it.

gorie
05-20-2005, 12:10 AM
had my bed for about 6 years i think it was around $600 for box spring , matress and frame. queen sized. its a verlo mattress nothing too fancy but its very comfortable. when you shop around in stores you can always lay down on them to test it out to find something you'd like..
i still have my old headboard i've had my whole life though... i could use a new one. no idea how much those cost

TStoneMBD
05-20-2005, 12:14 AM
also, if you are going to get a real bed, do a little research online. i was researching what i should be looking for when buying a bed, and found the following information very useful:

independant coil system is the best by far.

a queen sized bed should have 600-800 coils

most people want to know how many coils there are, but turns are much more important. a turn is how many times the coil goes around 180 degrees. so a coil that goes around 3 times has 3 turns. if a bed has 800 coils but 3 turns, it has 2400 turns. if it has 600 coils but 5 turns, it has 3000 turns. the latter is much better. make sure to ask your salesmen this question, and if he doesnt know the answer he doesnt know what hes doing. go somewhere else.

sealy plush's eurotop posturepedic is the #1 mattress apparently.

here is the source of this information:

http://www.epinions.com/content_2324406404

IggyWH
05-20-2005, 12:26 AM
Kickass... thanks all for the responses. I want to go bed shopping right now /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I got an ad in the mail today that I was looking at and they had Serta box and mattress for $500. From things you all have said, it looks like I'll have to take a trip after work.

I was thinking about looking at IKEA but everything they have is in metric which would pretty much mean I'd have to buy bedding from them.

bump
05-20-2005, 12:31 AM
report back when you decide

~B

ethan
05-20-2005, 01:42 AM
The advice so far in this thread is generally good. One point that hasn't been mentioned - I'd recommend not buying a "pillow-top" mattress. Just get a regular one and a mattress pad. The pillow-top/mattress pad both gradually get less comfortable, but you can replace a mattress pad.

Hermlord
05-20-2005, 01:48 AM
Tempurpedic will solve all of your sleep problems but will leave you the new problem of being broke.

inishowen
05-20-2005, 02:03 AM
My bro bought a bed, not the mattress but the bed, on overstock.com. Greta price, decent product. Spend your dough on the mattress and box spring.

bump
05-20-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The advice so far in this thread is generally good. One point that hasn't been mentioned - I'd recommend not buying a "pillow-top" mattress. Just get a regular one and a mattress pad. The pillow-top/mattress pad both gradually get less comfortable, but you can replace a mattress pad.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bed has a pillow top mattres and is as comfortable today as it was the day I got it 3 years ago. Honestly, I think that my bed is my favorite posession. It has made my life better (I had sleeping problems and was often tired during the day, I now sleep like a baby...)

I have slept on standard mattreses with a feather bed (and have also tried an egg crate foam mattres pad) on top and it is NOT the same.

bernie
05-20-2005, 05:59 AM
Im looking for a new bed myself. My bed will be taking up most of my room. Damn, Im gonna love it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For a nice one, it might be $400+. Real wood will cost extra. Check online. that can give you some ideas. There's many sites.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the store. This likely won't be your last bed you buy. If you just want a cheapee, but looks cool, buy one and throw a good mattress on it. The mattress is what will be costing you a bit.

Some places have a return policy for mattresses after you had them for a week or so. Plenty of time to know if the mattress works for you.

b

Rick Nebiolo
05-20-2005, 06:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tempurpedic will solve all of your sleep problems but will leave you the new problem of being broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does Tempurpedic compare with some of those other high tech/Sweedish style beds such as the Duxbed? (http://duxbed.com/)

~ Rick

PS Also, are these high tech beds good for bada bing, bada bang, bada boom? I'd think you would sink in a bit when you would rather not /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick Nebiolo
05-20-2005, 06:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I want a headboard but not a footboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get a headboard, spend about $500 and get a decent wrought iron or polished steel frame set with lots of places to grab (during you know what /images/graemlins/grin.gif). Avoid brass, because it shows fingerprints.

Such a frame set might come with a frame for the foot of the bed, but as long as it doesn't extend up too far it won't get in the way.

~ Rick

Blarg
05-20-2005, 06:52 AM
Those are really uncomfortable to sit up against. A headboard or just a plain wall is more comfy by far.

HesseJam
05-20-2005, 07:07 AM
I pity you all for having to sleep in American beds. They are all just crap (like American washing machines).

You'll spend about 1/3 rd of your life in a bed, so invest heavily!

A bed should not contain any metal (no screws, no springs, etc.).

A nice and good wooden frame 2 meters x 2 meters will cost you +1000 bucks.

You'll need 2 adjustable rosts for about $100 each.

You'll need 2 mattrasses for at least $500 each (latex + horse hair and/or coconut fibre + cotton cover) is very nice. Why 2 mattresses instead of one? Well, you have to turn arond those heavy suckers at least every 4 weeks.

I say you'll need at least $2500 for a decent bed. There is no way around it.

jakethebake
05-20-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have serious sleep issues and I'm convinced it's because I'm not comfortable when I sleep.

Is it okay to go to a cheap place like a discount store or should I fork up the money and stick with a major chain brand name?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you already answered your own question.

SCfuji
05-20-2005, 10:20 AM
just stack like 3 temperpedic mattresses on top of each other. you will never wake up again.

Rick Nebiolo
05-20-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Those are really uncomfortable to sit up against. A headboard or just a plain wall is more comfy by far.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rare times I do sit up in bed I have those giant pillows covered in the same material as the comforter stuck up against the frame. They go on the floor in the corner otherwise.

We don't keep a TV in the bedroom but love to read. Have a great reading light clamped to the frame - works well along with extra strength reading glasses for tired eyes late at night.

The main drawback for me to reading novels at night is when I fall asleep I dream the plot-line along so I always have to go back a few pages and straighten it out /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ Rick

admo415
05-20-2005, 02:07 PM
A temperpedic type foam bed or a pillow mattress?