PDA

View Full Version : Poisonwood Bible Research Project question

tworooks
05-19-2005, 10:49 PM
I have to write a research project on something that is in The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver. When we were picking topics last week, one of my friends said that Hippopotamus's were in the book, so I figured that Hippopotamus are cool, so I'll write about that. So now we have to write a summary of 3 sources that pertain to our topic, blablabla. For the opening part of the paper, we have to have a quote that "contains an allusion to your topic." Naturally, I haven't read the book, and I didn't even know hippo's were in it until my friend said so. So, do any of you guys know where I could get the text of Poisonwood Bible online, or do you happen to know what chapter it mentions hippo's in. I have the book, but obviously I'm not gonna go through every page to find it. Thanks for any help.

gumpzilla
05-19-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So now we have to write a summary of 3 sources that pertain to our topic, blablabla.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you're going to cite the thread about the animal fighting tournament in your paper. I think there's probably plenty of good information about hippos in there.

tworooks
05-19-2005, 10:59 PM
haha, yea thatd be good. but they have to be book sources, no internet ones allowed.

Matt Flynn
05-19-2005, 11:01 PM
for your quote:

But Not the Hippopotamus - a children's storybook. Just use the title as the quote.

for your grade:

the apostrophe is used to indicate belonging, possession, ownership or word contraction. it is not used for the plural. several poker professionals are "pros," not "pro's."

the plural for hippos can be hippopotamuses or hipopotami. both are correct. if something belongs to the hippo, it is hippopotamus' or hippopotamus's, with preference given to the former.

- fighting the good fight against the wandering apostrophe -

tworooks
05-19-2005, 11:04 PM
our quote has to be from the poisonwood bible.

Matt Flynn
05-19-2005, 11:44 PM
in that case you should fawn on the book. chances are you are up against a female mid-twenties grad student whose PhD thesis is not going well who loves The Poisonwood Bible. disagree at your peril.

InchoateHand
05-19-2005, 11:48 PM
but it is a good book...

Go to your library and grab King Leopold's Ghost. That should give you some context.

jakethebake
05-20-2005, 09:16 AM
...so basically an idiot. Shouldn't be too hard to fool her.

[ QUOTE ]
chances are you are up against a female mid-twenties grad student whose PhD thesis is not going well

[/ QUOTE ]

scrub
05-20-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in that case you should fawn on the book. chances are you are up against a female mid-twenties grad student whose PhD thesis is not going well who loves The Poisonwood Bible. disagree at your peril.

[/ QUOTE ]

I /images/graemlins/heart.gif Matt.

scrub

jakethebake
05-20-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I /images/graemlins/heart.gif Matt.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

put it in his pooper.

FishNChips
05-20-2005, 03:22 PM
You have an assignment to write about a book that you haven't read? Sack Up! Read the F-Ing Book and do the assignment you f-ing J-Arse!

College, right? How much free time do you have? Read the book, do the assignment and quit biyaching about it.

Oh, and Matt's point about fawning over the book is a good one.

Jeez, college kids these days!
FishNChips

ps.. Matt: I read the Not the Hippopotomus book to my 8 month old almost every day.. its a classic!

tworooks
05-21-2005, 05:23 PM
its high school, not college. and there is no point to reading the book because our research project doesnt have anything to do with the book, only a quote from it about the topic we chose. so i'll pass on reading it.

Gin 'n Tonic
05-21-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for your quote:

But Not the Hippopotamus - a children's storybook. Just use the title as the quote.

for your grade:

the apostrophe is used to indicate belonging, possession, ownership or word contraction. it is not used for the plural. several poker professionals are "pros," not "pro's."

the plural for hippos can be hippopotamuses or hipopotami. both are correct. if something belongs to the hippo, it is hippopotamus' or hippopotamus's, with preference given to the former.

- fighting the good fight against the wandering apostrophe -

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst I am a fervent supporter of your pro-apostrophe crusade; I feel constrained to point out that it is also customary to begin a sentence with a capital letter.