PDA

View Full Version : Mucking a jackpot hand - poker urban legend?

Ulysses
12-06-2002, 06:18 PM
OK, I'm curious as to whether anyone here has heard this story, and if so, where they heard it occurred. I suspect it's a poker urban legend, in which case I'd expect someone here has heard it...

I was told this at the table last night (AJs in Bay Area). Apparently, a few months ago at The Oaks, the jackpot was a few thousand dollars. Two regulars, a man and woman who really hate each other get heads up. The woman has pocket 4s and her opponent has pocket 5s. One of them makes quads on the flop. The other makes quads on the turn. They go back and forth on the river until someone is all in. The man shows his quad 5s. The woman shows her friend her quad 4s and mucks them saying "I hate him so much I'll throw away my money so he doesn't get any more."

As soon as this story was told, another player said it was true and he heard it from someone who was there or knew someone there or some such thing. Two other players had also heard about it.

I don't believe it. Anyone?

Adnirol
12-07-2002, 12:18 AM
If it had been a man throwing away the jackpot I would say no way, but it does sound like something my EX might do! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

B-Man
12-07-2002, 12:36 AM
I've heard that one, too, and I don't believe it. Granted I am a cynic, but I heard it from someone who loves to tell stories (which often are very difficult to believe)...

Sounds to me like it is just another urban legend.

Stu Pidasso
12-07-2002, 04:58 AM
I heard it up here in Spokane, WA. The guy who told it to me was from Montana and was living out of his car trying to hit a $37,000 Bad beat JP. Apparently this is what this guy does, as he has been in 23 bad beat Jack pot hands. He told me he was at the table and it was two guys involved in the hand. He said it happened in Vegas.

I think the story is a bunch of crap, but I do believe the guy has been in 23 bad beat hands. He was at our local card room when the $37,000 was hit. He went back home to Montana for about a month and came back to try for a $21,000 jp.

Stu

anatta
12-07-2002, 01:59 PM
Last Saturday night, the Jackpot was quite large, $25000 total (and is even bigger now). I was playing the only 8-16 game at 2:00 am. I left before it happened about an hour later, but it was confirmed by several sources.

A hand I played against this guy saw him 3 bet the flop mulitway. The turn gave me the nut flush, but paired the board. Checked to me, I bet, everyone folds but him. He goes into this huge Holywood act, and calls. On the river, he check raises me, I make a crying call, and he has a king high flush.

Mabey this set him off, I dunno. But what happened later, again according to about two dozen people, is that he had the pocket pair. Pocket pair bets when their are 2 aces on board to let other know he has it. The trip aces raised (a no-no). When the final ace fell on the end, he showed it to the table...and mucked.

True story.

Ed Miller
12-07-2002, 05:40 PM
Why on earth is raising with trip Ace's a no-no?

anatta
12-09-2002, 01:50 AM
This is the way I understand the jackpot etiquette...when there are two aces on board, another ace comes, trip aces knows its $25,000 if anyone holds a pocket pair. If a small pocket pair folds, then obviously its a big loss. Moreover, its seems uncool to punish someone who is staying in for a jackpot which all benefit.

BTW, I spoke with the guy who had the trip aces the other night and its all true.

Rick Nebiolo
12-09-2002, 04:43 AM
Ulysses,

I've heard many variations of the same story. What I want to know is if the story about the gerbil is an urban legend or not.

Regards,

Rick

Ulysses
12-09-2002, 05:24 AM
What I want to know is if the story about the gerbil is an urban legend or not.

Well, if you really want to know...

Gerbil Urban Legend (http://www.snopes.com/sex/homosex/gerbil.htm)

Homer
12-09-2002, 12:59 PM
Jackpot etiquette...what a joke! I would have raised my trip aces too....

-- Homer

anatta
12-09-2002, 04:11 PM
1000 big bets...hmm..yes, that's better.

With trips aces, all you need is an opponent with a small pocket pair to have a 2% chance to win many thousands of dollars. Why get cute?? Its similar to not check-raising a big fish on the end. Keep 'em happy. Many of these guys are here for the jackpot, they are good for the game.

Remember, pocket dueces cannot fold when you raise here like they normally would. You are taking advantage of the jackpot to get an extra big bet. That's fine if you need that big bet so badly. But I guarentee nobody at that table last Saturday was laughing when dude showed and folded JJ, pissed off from the raise.

lysis
12-09-2002, 06:53 PM
The younger kid was being really really annoying all night to the rich old man. On the hand, when he figured it out, the old man flashed the nuts, and then mucked it, got up and left.

Ulysses
12-09-2002, 08:36 PM
As I suspected, this is happening with alarming frequency all around the country. No wonder jackpots get so big.

Here's a true story on the same topic - I really did muck a jackpot hand.

AJ's in NorCal a few months ago. Jackpot is about 45k. (It was hit a month or two ago for 75k and it's at 95k right now. Man, that's a lot of $$$ to be taking off the tables)

I'm MP w/ 4 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

UTG raises. Someone 3-bets. I muck. Other stuff happens.

Flop 2 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif A /forums/images/icons/club.gif . Lots of betting.

Turn 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif Lots of betting.

River X . Lots of betting.

Yup, one player had Aces, the other deuces.

Yawn. Next hand. This would have hurt if my hand would have been something I was considering calling with, though!

Homer
12-10-2002, 12:25 PM
Sorry, but if they are there only to play for the jackpot, I am going to make them pay to draw at it. I will make way more money doing this than I will playing soft so that the ploppies can draw to their stupid jackpot. And if I did happen to be involved in a jackpot hand, and the other player mucked just so I couldn't get my share, all I can say is oh well. That person must be awfully pathetic to muck a jackpot hand so as to cause me pain. They could have taken their share and given it to charity or something, but instead they muck just to piss me off? That says a lot about the kind of person they are...

-- Homer