PDA

View Full Version : $10-20 Hand (#2)

Manzanita
12-06-2002, 05:37 PM
I have KcJc UTG in a generally aggressive 7-handed game. I open-limp. A loose, very aggressive CO raises. The BB and I both call.

The flop is Th7h3c. The CO bets and we both call. The turn is Kh. I bet out, the CO calls, and the BB folds. The river is 3d. I bet and the CO calls. I show my hand and the CO mucks.

Comments?

-- Manzanita

Dynasty
12-06-2002, 06:52 PM
Aren't your chances of taking down the pot on the turn better if you checkraise? Players usually think turn checkraises = big hands.

Manzanita
12-07-2002, 02:22 PM
Dynasty,

Good suggestion. In many cases a check-raise here would also let me pick up an extra big bet from my opponent.

-- Manzanita

PokerPrince
12-08-2002, 02:31 AM
I think this is a very close call on the flop. I realize that you hold two overcards and have a backdoor flush draw but the pot is quite small. I would seriously consider folding this hand for a single flop bet. Anyone have any thoughts? These types of situations befuddle me sometimes.

PokerPrince

karlson
12-08-2002, 10:33 AM
I really don't understand this. Are you implying that the raiser just might lay down a better hand? I can't imagine most players folding anything better than KJ to a check-raise here.

I also think that the chances of the raiser checking behind on the turn are too good here. I think most players here will check on the turn with a hand like JJ, but will gladly pay off a bet. There is also no reason to let an A or fourth heart fall cheaply.

Maybe there is something else behind your comment, Dynasty?

karlson
12-08-2002, 10:34 AM
I agree. Without extra info, I think a fold on the flop is just fine.

Dancer
12-08-2002, 11:56 AM
I would fold on the flop all the time. Its not worth taking a card off. Pots too small and the even if u hit one of your cards u may not be the best hand. FOLD

Manzanita
12-08-2002, 02:42 PM
PokerPrince,

You make a good argument for folding on the flop and this would be my normal play. But in this situation the CO was such an aggressive player that there was also a small chance that I had the best hand on the flop. With any improvement on the turn I would have played to the end; otherwise I was out of there.

-- Manzanita

David Ottosen
12-08-2002, 05:06 PM
I would have come in for a raise in a 7 handed game with this hand.

I would have folded on the flop; I read your comments that you might have the CO beat; what about the BB who calls in front of you on the flop?

The rest of the hand seems ok.

Dynasty
12-08-2002, 06:34 PM
Are you implying that the raiser just might lay down a better hand

Yes. Yesterday, I saw a player fold a set on the river for one bet because he thought his opponent had a flush (which she did). If players think they are up against a big hand, they will often fold better hands if they think they are drawing dead. Some players will fold AcAs here.

There is some risk in giving a free card to any Ace or a small heart. It's a tricky balancing act.