PDA

View Full Version : Party vs Stars

utmt40
05-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Ok I have played SNGs at both Party and Stars. I have personally grown to like the Stars SNGs because of the players there (they seem to know a little more about cards) and the fact you get 1500 starting chips. On Party you only get the 800. What is the benefit of playing with only 800 chips and at Party as to playing at Stars? Wouldnt you rather start with more chips?

Voltron87
05-19-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(they seem to know a little more about cards)

[/ QUOTE ]

I really should ignore this post after that comment... but I'm a glutton for pain.

I would rather play at a site which gives me less chips and has faster blinds so I can get to the bubble quicker, which is where my edge is. The SNGs are also quicker at party, I will accept a lower ROI if I play more games.

pooh74
05-19-2005, 06:39 PM
I have personally grown to like the Stars SNGs because of the players there (they seem to know a little more about cards)

? sounds great

Sidekick
05-19-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they seem to know a little more about cards

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a big reason to prefer playing at Party. Stronger opponents will make it harder to win money, not easier.

The smaller chips stacks and faster blinds at Party cause most SnGs there to be over in about 45 minutes on average. If you are playing the standard Poker Stars SnGs, then you can expect the SnG to last closer to 75 minutes.

The quicker tournament time plus the (slightly) fishier waters at Party make it a favored choice by those seeking to maximize their earnings.

There is nothing wrong with preferring one site over the other, but if you are looking at the sites based purely on how much you can earn an hour at SnGs, then Party would be a clear favorite.

You are correct in that having more chips to start with will give an advantage to the more skillful player over time.

So, if you are just a recreational player that is looking for enjoyment, play at PS by all means. If however, you are looking to maximize your earnings, then choose Party.

Just IMO.

utmt40
05-19-2005, 06:54 PM
I have done well in both places and since I have learned a little more about how to play and what to play I like playing with better people. I feel like it makes me a better player. Secondly, I can see what you mean about Party but for the most part at Party I feel so short stacked starting out and I don't really like it when people are just pushing chips in the middle every two or three hands. Do you see what I am saying? I plan on playing some or the 22s and/or 10s tonight there and see how I do since I have now gotten more accustomed to the larger chip stack.

Sidekick
05-19-2005, 07:01 PM
I play at both Party and Poker Stars 5 days a week usually, so I know where you are coming from.

I prefer the format at PS and play the turbos there (much closer to the same time duration as Party), but I am able to make more money playing at Party/skins.

I much prefer the software and customer support at PS to that of Party, but that is a different thread.

Basically each site just has a different style and mindset (at least IMO). I keep playing at both, because I feel it improves my game to be able to shift between one and the other. I believe it makes my game more adaptable.

utmt40
05-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Thats really good thinking...

Phoenix1010
05-19-2005, 07:29 PM
If you don't know that you should want to play against players who know lses about cards, none of the other reasons matter; just play whichever site you enjoy the most.

Some people (like me) prefer Party because we feel that the tougher competition at Stars will somewhat offset the bigger stacks/slower blinds at PS, which will leave us with only a moderate ROI increase over Party. This is not nearly enough to make up for the fact that Party SnG's go almost twice as fast as PS ones. Hourly rate is the main consideration.

I'm going to steal your thread now.

Do any 8+ tablers play 800 (or 1000) chip games at the same time as 1500 chip games? Do you have trouble differentiating between them? Does it cause any trouble at all with your mechanical decisions; does it require extra attention than regular 8 tabling? Any answers appreciated.

-Phoenix

jpg7n16
05-19-2005, 07:32 PM
So if the players are better at Stars, wouldn't playing at Stars make you a better overall player?

We should all think long-term right? Long-term, the better you are, the more you'll make. Right?

oxymoron
05-19-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they seem to know a little more about cards

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a big reason to prefer playing at Party. Stronger opponents will make it harder to win money, not easier.

The smaller chips stacks and faster blinds at Party cause most SnGs there to be over in about 45 minutes on average. If you are playing the standard Poker Stars SnGs, then you can expect the SnG to last closer to 75 minutes.

The quicker tournament time plus the (slightly) fishier waters at Party make it a favored choice by those seeking to maximize their earnings.

There is nothing wrong with preferring one site over the other, but if you are looking at the sites based purely on how much you can earn an hour at SnGs, then Party would be a clear favorite.

You are correct in that having more chips to start with will give an advantage to the more skillful player over time.

So, if you are just a recreational player that is looking for enjoyment, play at PS by all means. If however, you are looking to maximize your earnings, then choose Party.

Just IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Voltron87
05-19-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So if the players are better at Stars, wouldn't playing at Stars make you a better overall player?

We should all think long-term right? Long-term, the better you are, the more you'll make. Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

nice try, but no.

gumpzilla
05-19-2005, 07:38 PM
You're not offering a very convincing rebuttal, Voltron.

Playing against better opposition will not prep you to blow up Party 22s or 33s; it might however give you a stronger foundation/more experience to allow for moving beyond that at some point, and it almost certainly will be more useful if you plan to ever play any kind of big bet poker other than SNGs. I don't think there's a real clear-cut answer to this.

And, as I like to say when people start whining about it, although a good player will benefit from playing the fishiest fish available, a mediocre player who plays in a style that does reasonably well at exploiting tighter fish but loses to the fishiest fish could conceivably be better off playing those tighter fish if he/she doesn't know how to adjust to the loose ones.

valenzuela
05-19-2005, 07:38 PM
partypoker is better because
-more game per hour.
-worst payers.

Big Limpin'
05-19-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
partypoker is better because
-more game per hour.
-worst payers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beacuse you know from comparison experience? Or just parroting?

Edit: I sound like an a-hole here. And i guess i am, but didnt mean it that way. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Voltron87
05-19-2005, 08:39 PM
i dont need a rebuttal, playing better players alone will not make your hourly rate go better. sure, maybe playing better players and then going to juicer games, but not just staying there against bad players. I don't even necessarily think playing better players is going to make you a better player in every scenario.

valenzuela
05-19-2005, 08:49 PM
just parroting, but its preety clear that in PP u have a better hourly rate.

Patriarch
05-19-2005, 08:55 PM
God, I hate Stars. Long boring games and moronic players who never shut up.

Nick M
05-19-2005, 09:16 PM
The turbos are pretty short...well 5 minute rounds. You get a lot of chips though and it's not 400/800 for 10 levels. Most games are over before 400/800 so yeah less than 50 minutes for a win. How long does a regular PP SNG last?

vindikation
05-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Holy crap I just played 2 SnG's at Stars after not playing there for a few months...man it took FOREVER to end compared to other sites (1st and 5th finishes).

I'm jumping to the $25 turbos, the non turbos are brutally long IMO.

TruFloridaGator
05-20-2005, 01:26 AM
That's not proven, not a lot of people multi the turbos at UB or PS yet.

bluefeet
05-20-2005, 01:45 AM
6-seaters on stars is a pretty good compromise IMO.

- ton of chips
- ton of flops
- etc.
- 3-4 fishies on the 13's.......2-3 on the 38's
- last about 1 hour

i've been 2-tabling (does that count?!) or 4-tabling for a few months now, depending what's on tv /images/graemlins/wink.gif

pays 65/35% ...top heavy 1st, bodes well for aggressive/successful bubble play.

my secret though - don't share /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[poor heart couldn't take more than 6months of PP pushing - dunno HOW you guys do it!]

lastchance
05-20-2005, 02:13 AM
Yeah, but 10-handed requires less work. You get to slack off and be brainless even more.

BTW, the better player argument is just dumb, IMHO. If you want to play better players, you can just move up to the Party $22's for an equal skill level to the Stars $11's. (dunno if this is true, just making an example).

Blarg
05-20-2005, 02:18 AM
Party 800 chip SNG's seem to last between 35 and 40 minutes on average.

It's my considered hypothesis that that rules.

I don't think the skill factors of having more or less chips, faster or slower rising blinds, etc., can overcome, for a skilled player, the advantage of getting in more games per hour, unless you just get a very tiny number more.

A good player will adapt to whatever the structure is, and then beat the game. The more times per hour, the more money he makes.

All very simplistic, but it's much more simplistic a question than some people make it out to be. The more prizes there are to be won per hour, the more prizes per hour a skilled player can win. You can't really take skill to a significant extent out of that equation, even if luck starts to play a bigger part.

And even being an exceptionally competent player at slower structured games doesn't mean more prizes are being won per hour by anyone, including you.

You have to start positing a very significant difference in the impact of skill on the different structures to argue that a slower structure will make you more per hour, and the large variance in SNG play rules that out easily.

Blarg
05-20-2005, 02:19 AM
I was thinking the same thing. There's rarely anything close to a shortage of better players for the vast majority of people who will ever play poker. Just moving up will supply that very easily.

Nick M
05-20-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How long does a regular PP SNG last?

[/ QUOTE ]