PDA

View Full Version : Leaving a job w/o burning a bridge

ttleistdci
05-19-2005, 06:29 PM
I've been at my current job with a small startup company for a few years now, and just accepted a job offer that will pay me a decent amount more plus will give me some benefits I didn't have before.

I plan on letting my boss know today that I'm leaving. I told the new place I could not start until June 20th to give my boss ample time to fill my position. This was totally out of respect for him as I could have easily given 2 weeks today and started the new job the beginning of June.

I'm going to let him know that I can still help him out on the side with graphics, ads, etc. (things I can do from home in my spare time for some extra cash).

Any suggestions on how I let him know? It may sound like a dumb question, but I've never been a real job whore so I don't have tons of experience in giving notice and stuff. I'd like to do this in a way that he won't take it personal and I can continue some type of business relationship with the company.

eric5148
05-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Perhaps a singing telegram?

RacersEdge
05-19-2005, 06:33 PM
"Take this job and shove it - I ain't working here no more."

SpearsBritney
05-19-2005, 06:34 PM
However you decide to do it, be sure to add "It's not you, It's me"

RacersEdge
05-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Seriously, keep it short and simple.

"I've liked working here the past x years, but an opportunity came up that was too good for me to pass up. I'll be starting at a new company on June 20th."

ttleistdci
05-19-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm disappointed...no "stick it in the pooper" reference.

daryn
05-19-2005, 06:39 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm disappointed...no "stick it in the pooper" reference.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm delighted

Soul Daddy
05-19-2005, 06:46 PM
I think that you are willing to stay a bit longer than required coupled with an offer to assist once you've gone should be more than enough to appease. Just be honest about your motives. If that burns a bridge then so be it, but I seriously doubt that any reasonable boss would not be understanding and somewhat appreciative.

AviD
05-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Not a dumb question, professional courtesy is 2 weeks notice. Reasoning is not needed but may be questioned by your manager(s) such that they can improve upon their management.

Simply state...more pay, more benefits, and more opportunity. They can't argue (nor do I think they will).

EDIT: Good luck at the new job! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

bisonbison
05-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Unless they're idiots, they won't take it personally. This is how business operates.

And as for helping out on the side - sign a contract.

FishNChips
05-19-2005, 07:07 PM
sounds like you'll be fine as other posters have said you're certainly not going to burn a bridge by staying a couple extra weeks and offering to help on the side (be careful on this one though - I don't know how much freelancing experience you have but from what little I know about it there is lots of tax stuff involved and you'll want to be sure that you have the terms covered clearly before starting to do the work).

My one suggestion though, write a letter of resignation. Short and sweet "I've enjoyed my time here, learned a lot blah blah blah. Another opportunity / more benis / better pay blah blah blah. I am giving you 4 weeks notice (or whatever it is)" Then you can walk into the boss and say "I'm here to turn in my resignation.

wait, one other tip:
if you are a valued employee they may ask "what can we do to make you stay?" This is a tough one. If you really like the place you can ask for whatever it is that you think will make you want to stay, but I think its probably better to just say "I'm sorry, but I've made my decision and I'm going to be making this change. There isn't anything that you can do." My personal opinion is that if there is more that they can do to keep you then they should have done it rather than holding out... but that's a philosophical Q for a later time. Just be aware that it may happen.

Good Luck with the change!
FishNChips

RunDownHouse
05-19-2005, 08:34 PM
What FishNChips said is why I wouldn't have accepted the other offer until I'd heard a counter offer from my current employer.

Unless other factors are important enough they'd outweigh the outside offer anyways (or you knew the startup would never at least match).

sleepyjoeyt
05-19-2005, 08:49 PM
Use the phrase "incredible opportunity" "too good to pass up" "not about the money" and other similar phrases often.

Make sure your old boss thinks your leaving because the opportunity is too good, not because his place sucks (even if it does).

Don't need to give too many details.

ttleistdci
05-19-2005, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the advice guys...much appreciated. The OOT regulars are always good for some life advice /images/graemlins/smile.gif