PDA

View Full Version : PINCH ME!! I'm DREAMING!! Does anyone... LOSE from omaha hi/lo??

IbrakeFORrivers
05-19-2005, 05:26 PM
I've started playing Omaha H/L from Hold'em. I haven't lost since, and have been playing a lot... Liteerally... I'm totally considering switching to low-limit Omaha and just multi-tabling.

Does it get any easier?

I mean there HAVE to be non-fish out there... right???

Sure, it's boring but so easy...

I mean seriously... God must be playing tricks on me...

Does the quality of play get better as i go up limits?

Mr_J
05-19-2005, 06:52 PM
"I haven't lost since, and have been playing a lot... Liteerally... "

Keep playing then.

"Sure, it's boring but so easy...

I mean seriously... God must be playing tricks on me... "

Thank god most people here only play 1-3 tables.

IbrakeFORrivers
05-19-2005, 06:54 PM
what's that supposed to mean?

Mr_J
05-19-2005, 07:07 PM
"I haven't lost since, and have been playing a lot... Liteerally... "

I'm saying this doesn't mean anything apart from the fact you have been lucky so far (or at least not unlucky).

GooperMC
05-19-2005, 08:11 PM
I thought that meant there was less of a chance of sitting with one of us /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Beavis68
05-19-2005, 08:31 PM
I find O8b to be much more interesting than LHE. LHE is so one dimensional. There are so many draws in O8b it really makes me think about the best course of action on each street.

IbrakeFORrivers
05-19-2005, 10:03 PM
You're actually sorta right. I just understood the rules last post... still... it's a change from Hold'em

Mr_J
05-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Wasn't trying to be a b@stard or anything. But, there is alot less variance in O8 so yeh you will finish ahead more often. And yeh it is an easy game to pick up and beat. Just don't become too serious, there aren't enough tables to go around /images/graemlins/mad.gif

HajiShirazu
05-20-2005, 04:54 AM
The quality of opposition does go up as you move up in limits just as in all games, although I have not played the mid limit games of 10/20 and above so I wouldn't know there. Also I suck.
But there is plenty of variance in omaha. Perhaps not as much as holdem but the beats can still get terrible, your opponents always have tons of ways to backdoor, gutshot, 2 outer, counterfeit you. Chances are you have just been running good so far, although the games are beatable right now, just not for the type of huge winrates you might think. You'll eventually have sessions where seemingly lock scoop hands will get run down, every set loses to a BD straight, every low gets jacked on the river, every A2 gets 1/4, etc. Hands run close together in value in this game, it is a game of edges that are often quite small (until the river), albeit easily visible and taken advantage of by the skilled player.

jedi
05-20-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hands run close together in value in this game, it is a game of edges that are often quite small (until the river), albeit easily visible and taken advantage of by the skilled player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a total myth. Heads up, this might be true, but in the typical loose low limit games most of us play, the edges for premium hands are huge. But maybe I'm just quoting Badger.

IbrakeFORrivers
05-20-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The quality of opposition does go up as you move up in limits just as in all games, although I have not played the mid limit games of 10/20 and above so I wouldn't know there. Also I suck.
But there is plenty of variance in omaha. Perhaps not as much as holdem but the beats can still get terrible, your opponents always have tons of ways to backdoor, gutshot, 2 outer, counterfeit you. Chances are you have just been running good so far, although the games are beatable right now, just not for the type of huge winrates you might think. You'll eventually have sessions where seemingly lock scoop hands will get run down, every set loses to a BD straight, every low gets jacked on the river, every A2 gets 1/4, etc. Hands run close together in value in this game, it is a game of edges that are often quite small (until the river), albeit easily visible and taken advantage of by the skilled player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Set??? wow. Sets in OMaha/8 to me are like Ace-high in Hold'em. If i don't have an unopposed straight (no flush on board) or higher, i'm usually out of the hand by the flop.
You win with sets?

Bremen
05-20-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You win with sets?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well you have to play them since sometimes they turn into quads.

gambelero2
05-21-2005, 01:01 PM
I've won a lot of money playing O8 limit in real games with fish converting from holdem, but have a poor tourney record and O8 pot limit on net. No multitable tourney wins. Ohigh pot limit I've won 6 or 7 times and 3 or 4 seconds or chops.

I went on a two day junket trip to Tunica and won a couple dimes at the omaha game before a team of theives I knew from Louisianna days showed up.

Having nothing to do I wondered back to my hotel (the grand) and played 5 and 10 omaha. I won 6 or 7 hundred. When you win, any game seems so simple. You feel like a genious. A few good hits and you look like a world champ. The standard deviation is very high and once the players learn the game, its dynamic changes very quickly.