PDA

View Full Version : Chat Window Tactics.

AceRat138
05-19-2005, 05:24 PM
I have recently been toying with chat room tactics to induce certian play in my opponents. I have found that If I talk about different books I have read/odds/hands like I am an expert on the game, people fold to my steals more often. If I talk about bad beats they are more apt to call. Have any of you used chatting tactics to your advantage? If so, post them here.

octaveshift
05-19-2005, 05:27 PM
There was a time where I used to use the chat to wind people up and make them tilty.

Now I find it better to shut up and pay attention and then punish them mercilessly.

gumpzilla
05-19-2005, 05:40 PM
The only thing that I use the chat for, other than fun, is to occasionally get people to show me their hands. It's particularly good, I've found, at ferreting out bluffs if you get the right kind of player. Make some kind of very specific read in the chat window that corresponds to what you think they're trying to represent. A non-negligible fraction of the time they'll show you what they had, and I think they'll do it more often if they've been bluffing. At this point I make sure to say "wow, nice move" or something along those lines.

Iamafish
05-19-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have recently been toying with chat room tactics to induce certian play in my opponents. I have found that If I talk about different books I have read/odds/hands like I am an expert on the game, people fold to my steals more often. If I talk about bad beats they are more apt to call. Have any of you used chatting tactics to your advantage? If so, post them here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont waist your time. Worry about your actual game. Load up more tables.

Do you really want to HAVE to talk to people to win? Agiants a good player, it wont work to well.

Isnt this like tapping the glass?

Phill S
05-19-2005, 09:11 PM
If im short stacked in the BB, no matter what i get i always say 'im all in'.

Throws people right off.

If used correctly similar phrases can get you a free card.

I used to start every tourney saying that im all in whatever im dealt first hand, on the offchance i get a big pair. This i dont do anymore, just made me look like an idiot more than it got me paid off.

Phill

Patriarch
05-19-2005, 09:16 PM
It makes you look like an idiot every time, whether you have a big hand or not.

Degen
05-19-2005, 09:22 PM
small sample size doooooood

Andre

curtains
05-19-2005, 09:24 PM
I always talk about how I read "play poker like the pros by Phil Hellmuth". I find that I get a ton of respect at the table after letting them know.

gasgod
05-19-2005, 09:52 PM
I think it's -EV to try to use chat to gain an advantage. You may gain Vs one player, only to find that the information you give to the other 8 is to your detriment. Why give the good players any info or reads?

GG

Ryendal
05-19-2005, 10:25 PM
LOL

Freudian
05-19-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's -EV to try to use chat to gain an advantage. You may gain Vs one player, only to find that the information you give to the other 8 is to your detriment. Why give the good players any info or reads?

GG

[/ QUOTE ]

Saying funny things is +EV and saying nice things is +EV.

If someone is prone to tilt saying mean things may be +EV, but there is also a -EV risk there so it's best not to.

Bigwig
05-19-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it when people say this. I raise them anyway.

Iamafish
05-19-2005, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Throws THEM off.

Ogre
05-19-2005, 10:55 PM
I was playing with a guy who said "hi, i like poker." about once a minute. I don't think it helped him much but it gave everyone a chance to make fun of him when he busted out.

I rarely ever chat. If you have time to chat you have time to play +1 more sng then you are currently playing.

Phill S
05-19-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And if the numbers say i have to play it, i welcome your move.

Theres a difference between no gain and negligable gain. Ultimately i agree that its just shouting into nothingness most of the time. But for that 1 in X times, thats money you make by definition.

I only singletable, so yeah, when i start multitabling i know this is something i wont be doing.

Phill

Degen
05-20-2005, 12:09 AM
lol

worst poker book ever written

his 'system' has you raising all PP's in any position down thru 7's if i remember correctly. lol

Andre

jgunnip
05-20-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I always talk about how I read "play poker like the pros by Phil Hellmuth". I find that I get a ton of respect at the table after letting them know.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha, brilliant

Newt_Buggs
05-20-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was playing with a guy who said "hi, i like poker." about once a minute.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know why I'm finding that so funny

Newt_Buggs
05-20-2005, 02:31 AM
I was sitting at a table earlier in the week when the poker prophecy spam came up "is the player to your left a fish? find ou(. . .)" Someone at my table quickly typed in "whats a fish?" Anyone remember that thread a while back? yeah, I said supbro and got a supbro back

ZeeJustin
05-20-2005, 02:45 AM
This was live, but it pertains to the topic, so I'll post it anyway. This is copy and pasted from the EPT Deauville Report on my website

[ QUOTE ]
I was down to just under 60,000 chips with the blinds at 10,000 and 20,000. It was my big blind, and I was in awful shape. I told the table, “Just so you guys know, I have to call here with any two, so feel free to fold.” I placed my chips on top of my cards before I looked at them, to show the table that I wasn’t joking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think saying this line was hugely +EV.

Winwood
05-20-2005, 03:15 AM
Yesterday I mis-clicked and sucked out ridiculously - I think I had 94o. Anyway, after the usual tirade of insults, I just typed "I'm a wildcard baby, so you better watch out".

My good hands sure got payed off the rest of that game.

shejk
05-20-2005, 04:06 AM
Chat for enjoyment > chat for dollas