PDA

View Full Version : stop and go line with a set in multiway pot. -ev?

TStoneMBD
05-19-2005, 05:12 PM
the flop bettor in this hand is 26/21/0 after 21 hands.

the caller in the hand is the 45/5/.4 type. he has a very high showdown stat and i have notes on him that he likes to peel the flop and turn and fold the river.

i know im gonna get people saying i should be the flop, but i like to check sometimes with these hands as to not be too predictable.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO folds, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP folds.

River: (6 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 7 BB

J.R.
05-19-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i know im gonna get people saying i should be the flop,

[/ QUOTE ]

having checked the flop I do the same but if betting here is too predictable you need to bet more, not less here imo

TStoneMBD
05-19-2005, 05:38 PM
well i dont know if im really "predictable", i mean these players suck. however, i never steal flops in limped pots. i only bet at flops if i have equity in them, not on total bluffs. these guys just dont fold. so i think i need to check somewhat powerful hands on the flop a good percentage of the time so that a check by me doesnt always mean a miss.

besides, these guys dont raise the flop with strong hands anyway. they will call 3 streets with top pair good kicker, so its not like betting/3betting works.

do you really think its necessary to always bet this flop with these type of hands? that seems to be the forums perception of solid play, but i have never agreed with that.

J.R.
05-19-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so i think i need to check somewhat powerful hands on the flop a good percentage of the time so that a check by me doesnt always mean a miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

why if

[ QUOTE ]
i mean these players suck

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

do you really think its necessary to always bet this flop with these type of hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

in a game with people who just call TPTK but are generally loose, i think you risk giving up a bit by checking and letting them check thru (if they aren't that passive than checking has more merit). if these guys want to call, oblige them.

but anyway, decption isn't to valuable against bad players (generally speaking), so if you check, i hope it is to check-raise or otherwise to get more bets in the pot than you think you might just leading the flop.

arkady
05-19-2005, 05:43 PM
i have said it before. Your line is going to cost you the least and I think its best to break it down to 2 options.

1) C/R flop and proceed.
2) call flop, c/r turn.

You did neither and yes, I think it is -EV. I prefer option 1 as people are more likely to call 2 cold on flop and/or 3 bet with a weaker holding.

TStoneMBD
05-19-2005, 05:50 PM
i really didnt want to eliminate the calling station by checkraising though, which makes me realize that leading is probably the stronger option here. i was kind of hoping that by calling the flop and leading the turn, i might get the calling station to call and may trap the other player into a 3bet.

Justin A
05-19-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well i dont know if im really "predictable", i mean these players suck. however, i never steal flops in limped pots. i only bet at flops if i have equity in them, not on total bluffs. these guys just dont fold. so i think i need to check somewhat powerful hands on the flop a good percentage of the time so that a check by me doesnt always mean a miss.

besides, these guys dont raise the flop with strong hands anyway. they will call 3 streets with top pair good kicker, so its not like betting/3betting works.

do you really think its necessary to always bet this flop with these type of hands? that seems to be the forums perception of solid play, but i have never agreed with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a much better chance of bet/3betting the flop than you do the turn.

stinkypete
05-19-2005, 09:05 PM
this isn't a stop n go, it's a gaybet.

Subby
05-19-2005, 09:25 PM
I don't think this is a bad line to take once in a while, but with the flush draw on the flop and so many players in the pot, it seems like betting out is the best play. You said yourself these others are bad players - so are they really paying attention when you start mixing it up?

ALL1N
05-19-2005, 11:28 PM
I think betting this flop is nearly always correct, but what makes checking worse is the fact that the caller is on your left. You don't want him to face 2 bets cold, and so the best way to keep in him the pot is to bet.

Failing betting the flop, yes I bet turn.