PDA

View Full Version : How do you maximize this 5/10 6 max hand?

Shoe
05-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Would you do anything differently here?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.40 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Turn: (1.20 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (3.20 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 4.20 BB

I was confident I had the best hand, and felt betting on the flop would force him out. Should I have bet the flop anyways? Should I have checkraised the turn? Should I have gone for a check/call or check/raise on the river instead of betting out?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Subby
05-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Any read on this guy? What range of hands is he limping UTG? My guess is small pocket pair.

Anyway - you flopped the best hand but are vulnerable here...I would bet out on the flop. If he folds, so be it. Not like it's a monster pot.

Michael Davis
05-19-2005, 05:27 PM
I think your play is fine until you elected not to checkraise the turn when he bet. Anyways, since he obviously has nothing, the river bet is worse than check/calling.

-Michael

Michael Davis
05-19-2005, 05:32 PM
"Not like it's a monster pot."

Which is exactly why it's not that important to bet. In fact, if we know our opponent will bluff either the flop or the turn, it would be better to let him do so.

-Michael

spydog
05-19-2005, 05:46 PM
I think you need to bet this flop most of the time. Unlike a totally ragged flop, most fish will call if they hold a 7,8,9, or T here. If the flop was more ragged, like J73, then I think checking to induce a bluff is a solid play.

MoDOH
05-19-2005, 05:52 PM
You have to bet out on this flop... You are up against a seemingly passive opponent. So although you have the best hand you have to bet to protect it against any overcards or gutshots.
And since you should bet numerous flops OOP with a wide variety of hands betting top pair in this spot should be standard procedure

Michael Davis
05-19-2005, 06:00 PM
"I think you need to bet this flop most of the time."

Strategically, I think this is the consensus, but I think it's wrong. Guys will call this flop with a gutshot, but they'll also bet and call a checkraise with same gutshot.

-Michael

GrunchCan
05-19-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Strategically, I think this is the consensus, but I think it's wrong. Guys will call this flop with a gutshot, but they'll also bet and call a checkraise with same gutshot.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael, I'd like to hear more of your reasoning on this.

If I were to post my advice to the OP, it would be: "Definitely bet the flop. Given that you didn't bet the flop, definitely CR the turn."

My feeling is that if Hero were to CR the flop as you suggest (are you suggesting this?), the villain will probably call. But then when Hero leads the turn (as I think he certianly should after having CRed the flop), the villan will give up unless he improved.

On the other hand, if we just check-call the flop and then check-raise the turn, the villan will usually call the CR, giving us an extra 1 1/2 BB even if he folds the river UI.

Your thoughts on this?

spydog
05-19-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot depends on how aggressive the opponent has been. The OP gave no read. If the opponent is passive then you must bet here. If the opponent will bet when checked to, then I will check-raise any flop with top pair until he learns to check it through sometimes. If I don't know my opponent, I think it's best to bet this flop. You establish that you lead flops with decent hands, which will set up stealing with draws and other mediocre hand in later confronations.

Certainly, you must mix up your checkraising and leading if you plan on sitting with the same opponents for awhile.

There is another category of player that will raise a draw/overcards/pair on this flop. Against that player I will lead and 3-bet with top pair.

Headsup flops can be a pretty dynamic animal, so I should have clarified a little.

Subby
05-19-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which is exactly why it's not that important to bet. In fact, if we know our opponent will bluff either the flop or the turn, it would be better to let him do so.
-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]
*If* we know. I don't think we do, though. Do you want to give this guy a free shot at making his hand? I thought the idea with top pair, marginal kicker was to protect...or am I misapplying an idea more suited to multi-way pots?

SomethingClever
05-19-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was confident I had the best hand, and felt betting on the flop would force him out. Should I have bet the flop anyways?

[/ QUOTE ]

Top pair J with an 8 kicker on a board with two connected cards and a third not far off is a very vulnerable hand. Why wouldn't you bet the flop?

So what if you force him out. You win the pot.

BusterStacks
05-19-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was confident I had the best hand, and felt betting on the flop would force him out. Should I have bet the flop anyways?

[/ QUOTE ]

Top pair J with an 8 kicker on a board with two connected cards and a third not far off is a very vulnerable hand. Why wouldn't you bet the flop?

So what if you force him out. You win the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. the flop is your your best opportunity to get action from a worse hand.

pheasant tail (no 18)
05-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Is hero's hand so strong that he will be disappointed if he wins on the turn?

tongni
05-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Check the river or CR the turn. But probably check the river.