PDA

View Full Version : My Biggest Poker Problem

fire_fly
05-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Hi, I originally posted this over in "Texas Hold'em" but was told this would be a more appropriate place for it.

Hi, I'll try and make this quick.

The biggest problem I see myself having in the future of my poker game is my emotional stability.

By this I mean, though I am definately getting better, not feeling mentally stressed when multiple bad beats are put on me, doing stupid [censored] which I believe really can affect ones health and well being long term.

I used to bang my head on the wall I don't do that any more. I used to stand up and yell when something particularly bad happened (multiple bad beats in quick succession.) I'm getting much better at this, but am still not perfect.

I'd like to find a book of some sort, maybe Zen philosophy? I remember hearing about some religion or way of life that advocates riding out the bumps of life with calm because one knows that life is just like that. Though I'm sure this philosophy was not meant for poker, I think it would really apply at the tables. Anyone know what philosophy I'm speaking of?

And this isn't a huge problem by any means, but it's just funny. Now, when I'm not playing, I can look back at all the beats I've had and not feel a thing, just shrug and know that people make me money by being dumb. But there are times when I'm playing that I fly off the handle somewhat. I would love to be able to just shrug it off and have it not effect me at the time. Thanks for your time.

Pocket Trips
05-19-2005, 04:28 PM
You are looking for Zen and the Art of Poker by Larry Phillips... Another book dealing with these same issues is Inside the poker mind by John Feeney which i havcen't read but has been recommended by other posters in similar threads