PDA

View Full Version : Who here owns a gun???

Talk2BigSteve
05-19-2005, 03:51 PM
http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Auto-Pistols/Ruger_P97.jpg

I just picked up one of these today. Ruger P97DC .45ACP Double Action w/ Decocker Switch 185mm Length, 99mm barrel, 860g weight, Polymer frame, 8 rounds.

During Testing the P97 shot 5000 rounds without a problem.
"In more than 5000 total rounds fired with 10 different loads, the Ruger P97 experienced no failures to feed, fire, extract, eject, cycle, or function. None."

This is my new one.

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

jakethebake
05-19-2005, 03:52 PM
I own several guns.

tbach24
05-19-2005, 03:52 PM
I don't, but I was thinking, how lame would it be to type "Who here pwns a gun?"

Answer: very

Sponger15SB
05-19-2005, 03:53 PM
I own one of these.

http://www.scotlandforvisitors.co.uk/samiss.jpg

It works pretty good for home defense.

beerbandit
05-19-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.scotlandforvisitors.co.uk/samiss.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

youll be the king on 4th of july

beerbandit
05-19-2005, 03:55 PM
i have a shotgun and a pelletgun

i would like to get a hangun though

cheers

Nick-Zack
05-19-2005, 03:56 PM
I have 2 young sons and am way too scared to keep a gun in the house. Having said that I have always wanted to go to a shooting range and blast away with some big Clint Eastwood pistol.

jakethebake
05-19-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have 2 young sons and am way too scared to keep a gun in the house.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently went out and bought a lockbox for my pistol. Damn kids get into everything.

bholdr
05-19-2005, 03:58 PM
i've got an old .22 in my grandfather's gun case that i've only shot twice... does that count?

jackdaniels
05-19-2005, 04:00 PM
Lockbox (http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/6174/jokes/2000-prez-debate-transcript-1st-snl-debate.htm) you say?

Hiding
05-19-2005, 04:02 PM
I have the Ruger 9mm, never had a problem with it, very nice gun.

Talk2BigSteve
05-19-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Having said that I have always wanted to go to a shooting range and blast away with some big Clint Eastwood pistol.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you want something like this???

http://www.kimdutoit.com/images/Colt_Anaconda_8.jpg

Anaconda 8

daryn
05-19-2005, 04:10 PM
i have fired this gun, i like ruger but i like the P95 (i think) better.

Talk2BigSteve
05-19-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have fired this gun, i like ruger but i like the P95 (i think) better.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah P95 is the .9mm the P97 is a .45cal, both are great guns.

2planka
05-19-2005, 04:14 PM
I am armed to the teeth.

brassnuts
05-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Sig p220 .45

http://remtek.com/arms/sig/model/220/220.gif

Talk2BigSteve
05-19-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am armed to the teeth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not say that about me, but I do have a few others...The one below is my toy that I take out to the range with me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com/content/00/01/32/32/75/userimages/163624_large.jpg
SKU: 163624
Caliber: .44 MagnumŪ/.44 S&W Special
Capacity: 6 Rounds
Barrel Length: 6-1/2" w/ Integral Compensator
Front Sight: Patridge
Rear Sight: Adjustable Black
Firing System: N/A
Grip: Hogue Rubber
Trigger: .400" Smooth Target
Hammer: .500" Target
External Safety: N/A
Frame: Large
Finish: Satin Stainless
Overall length: 12"
Material: Stainless Steel
Weight Empty: 54.5 ounces

It gets better with the laser and a scope I put on it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

peachy
05-19-2005, 04:41 PM
i have a similar ruger and love it...but mah favorite is mah desert eagle...i own quite a few guns

RacersEdge
05-19-2005, 05:00 PM
How much does one of those 44 Magnums set you back? Is "Magnum" the make or the model?

brassnuts
05-19-2005, 05:03 PM
.44 magnum is type of bullet cartridge. lotsa gun powder, big bang. the guns that use them are usually refered to as magnums too. that one's a smith & wesson.

IndieMatty
05-19-2005, 05:07 PM
As a city boy, I have no need for a gun. But I think they are cool.

Sell me on one.

(Cross posted in the gun thread, but replace gun with knife)

peachy
05-19-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How much does one of those 44 Magnums set you back? Is "Magnum" the make or the model?

[/ QUOTE ]

anywhere from 200 for a meh one (or used) to well above 600ish and then even much more for specially modified ones - but i havent bought one of these in quite a few years so i may be WAY off - basically these r good guns in the middle range for me so its a good gun for a first time owner/buyer IMO

its the make...not the model

radek2166
05-19-2005, 05:12 PM
AK-47, MAC10, Glock 23, AR15 Bullpup, Shotgun Maverick.

Would like a streetsweeper.

RacersEdge
05-19-2005, 05:17 PM
peachy, you are female right?

can you handle one of those magnums? I always thought most women like the smaller compact guns.

brassnuts
05-19-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I stated earlier, it's neither.

AviD
05-19-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Auto-Pistols/Ruger_P97.jpg

I just picked up one of these today. Ruger P97DC .45ACP Double Action w/ Decocker Switch 185mm Length, 99mm barrel, 860g weight, Polymer frame, 8 rounds.

During Testing the P97 shot 5000 rounds without a problem.
"In more than 5000 total rounds fired with 10 different loads, the Ruger P97 experienced no failures to feed, fire, extract, eject, cycle, or function. None."

This is my new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice, my buddy is thinking about selling his Ruger KP90D and I am thinking about buying it.

Unfortunately NJ is a communist state and I am still waiting for my 90 day handgun purchase permit.

I have quite a few guns {shotguns, rifles, muzzleloaders} but no handguns, so I'm new to the handgun world.

I am thinking about getting two, but still trying to decide.

Thus far, I've narrowed down to (and I'm sure I'm missing an asston of great guns):

His Ruger KP90D (http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=6624)

The Glock 23 (http://www.glock.com/g23.htm)

I'm also interested in a Desert Eagle (mainly due to their reputation for exceptional quality and accuracy), but haven't done enough research to speak on which one is most ideal for my interests.

My primary interest is recreational shooting with a secondary interest in self defense at home (which I suspect is nearly moot, but worth considering). As my primary interest is the focus, I do want an accurate gun because I like shooting (especially high powered rifles) and want a gun that will group well.

I'm thinking of staying in the .40 or .45 caliber range as I don't want a hand cannon of sorts for my first handgun. Nevertheless, I plan on shooting it/them regularly and having a good time with it/them! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Any recommendations on a handgun that meets those needs, as you seem to have some experience?

twang
05-19-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sig p220 .45

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Michael Moore better than Charles Heston, but there is something about small things in high grade metal (guns, knifes, watches etc) that is extremely attractive. Maybe I should ask Dr Al about that one.

(Btw, I don't own a gun, but I was in the service for a year so I have fired a few rounds.)

/twang

nef
05-19-2005, 05:42 PM
Beautiful. I plan on purchasing a model 29 as soon as I can find a nice used one.

Talk2BigSteve
05-19-2005, 05:52 PM
The one pictured has a SRP of $843. I paid around $600 for it with the goodies I added brought it back up just under a grand. That was about 5 years ago give or take a year.

It is fun to shot has a good kick but not real bad. I like to shoot it at the police range here just as the sun is setting. A red laser site isn't worth [censored] in the daylight.

wacki
05-19-2005, 06:01 PM
shotguns and sniper rifles. Smallest bullet I own is a 7.62mm NATO.

KungFuSandwich
05-19-2005, 06:42 PM
I like the SKS's, the guns cheap but doesnt jam up alot. The ammo is real cheap. And you can get Bayonets and stuff now that the assault ban expired. The only downside is adding stuff to the gun is a pain in the ass because they are made in a couple of different places and are not made to exact standards.

Still Its a lot of fun for a relatively low price.

But you do have to spend a little bit extra and add one of these:
http://www.sksman.com/images/west55rd_sks.jpg

HDPM
05-19-2005, 06:47 PM
glock rather than ruger IMO. I have heard good things about rugers tho. IMO the glock is a better carry gun, but since you live in NJ that may not matter. Still, if you do any sport shooting the glock has some advantages over the ruger IMO. I don't really know about accuracy between the two. I don't think either are super tight grouping handguns, but super accuracy isn't what I look for in a pistol anyway. But mine are for self defense and recreation is way down the list for me.

Blarg
05-19-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have 2 young sons and am way too scared to keep a gun in the house. Having said that I have always wanted to go to a shooting range and blast away with some big Clint Eastwood pistol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do it. It's just as fun as it sounds -- more, even.

I've never taken anyone to a shooting range who hasn't had a really great time. The only downer is bullets are so damn expensive. That's one reason I like .22's so much; it's easy to get a very accurate one to enjoy shooting with, and you can shoot them all day for a trivial amount of money.

On big calibres, you can go through 50 or 100 bucks of bullets in almost no time at all. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, going to the shooting range to fire big calibre guns is kind of like going to the bowling alley to play only one game and then leave.

Blarg
05-19-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

anywhere from 200 for a meh one (or used) to well above 600ish and then even much more for specially modified ones - but i havent bought one of these in quite a few years so i may be WAY off - basically these r good guns in the middle range for me so its a good gun for a first time owner/buyer IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

A 44 magnum is an exceptionally lousy gun for a first time owner.

I'd go with a .22 so you can practice endlessly for cheap and get accustomed to guns easily, or a .357 magnum so you can practice on the cheap with .38 cartridges and slowly get used to a higher power curve plus just have an excellent defensive cartridge and manageable gun, or a 9 mm for a relatively low recoil but still decent defensive gun that doesn't cost a fortune to practice with.

I think everyone should have a .22. It's a great learning and plinking calibre, and probably has more field utility than any other calibre. And you can get a very good one for a reasonable price.

Blarg
05-19-2005, 08:42 PM
If you don't want a hand cannon, what's with the talk of a Desert Eagle?

wacki
05-19-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

On big calibres, you can go through 50 or 100 bucks of bullets in almost no time at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get 1,000 rounds of 7.62mm from my local army/navy for 90 bucks. It's not the best ammo, but it is more than good enough for plinking. That is, if you can call it plinking when you use 7.62mm.

Blarg
05-19-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sig p220 .45

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Michael Moore better than Charles Heston, but there is something about small things in high grade metal (guns, knifes, watches etc) that is extremely attractive. Maybe I should ask Dr Al about that one.

(Btw, I don't own a gun, but I was in the service for a year so I have fired a few rounds.)

/twang

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the same way. I love guns, cameras, watches, binoculars, and other precision-crafted instruments. It's a guy thing. I don't know what it is, but it seems guys are into that stuff the way so many women are into clothes and jewelry. We don't just like them or realize they have a purpose, but seem to love them or even fetishize them.

Blarg
05-19-2005, 08:51 PM
You can always add a lot of accuracy to a pistol just by getting it accurized anyway. Not a bad deal, sometimes.

Blarg
05-19-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

On big calibres, you can go through 50 or 100 bucks of bullets in almost no time at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get 1,000 rounds of 7.62mm from my local army/navy for 90 bucks. It's not the best ammo, but it is more than good enough for plinking. That is, if you can call it plinking when you use 7.62mm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, that's a helluva good deal. I've only bought bullets at stores and firing ranges. You mean at an army surplus store, or what?

AviD
05-19-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The are a serious gun but do come in a variety of calibers, and it is more so their accuracy and craftsmanship that I am interested in. But, probably not the best choice for a "first" handgun.

AviD
05-19-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can always add a lot of accuracy to a pistol just by getting it accurized anyway. Not a bad deal, sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Define getting a pistol "accurized"

wacki
05-19-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You mean at an army surplus store, or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and the ammo is army surplus as well. You can get US surplus, South African, Brazil, Pakistani, Russian, etc.

Quality varies widely but some of the bullets are actually pretty good. For the best discussion on firearms goto:

www.firingline.com (http://www.firingline.com)

There are places online that sell bulk ammo as well. I buy my bulk ammo by the battle pack (200) or case (1,000). You can even buy by the pallet (don't know how many bullets that is) at many surplus stores.

US surplus also has a lot of ballistic tip ammo in 5.56mm which is dirt cheap and very accurate.

Blarg
05-19-2005, 09:39 PM
They can replace, reseat the front and back sites, or adjust them; get better barrels and custom seat them; adjust and/or replace the trigger and hammer and grips; get better springs and magazines, smooth the action, etc.

There is a huge aftermarket for parts to help accurize and customize pistols, and people who do it can advise you on what you might be able to get for a certain price or what your gun is most likely to get the maximum benefit from. Part of the service is going to be test firing your gun to certify its new accuracy, too.

It usually goes for a couple hundred dollars and up, but it can cost a fortune depending on what you have done or replaced/added in. It can make a big difference in a gun's accuracy, sometimes add or take away a little weight, length, etc.

Blarg
05-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Clicked the "cartridges" link and got printers and toner cartridges LOL. Hmm, I'll dig around.

peachy
05-19-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
peachy, you are female right?

can you handle one of those magnums? I always thought most women like the smaller compact guns.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah yes im a girl...and if i can handle a desert eagle i can handle a magnum LOL

peachy
05-19-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uumm its considered a make...its who makes it so if ur gonna label it a make or model magnum is a make or maybe ive just been taught wrong by mah dad all mah life...but then again he prolly said that to me as a child b/c it was easier and all my knowledge of them comes from him for the most part.

And just to show an example of it...i call jet skis ski jets cause when i was lil i called the regular ones jet skis and the ones that squirted water jet skis...and i almost always call a block of cheese a hand stick...dumb habits from childhood r hard to break for me lol so i may be way off here...

peachy
05-19-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A 44 magnum is an exceptionally lousy gun for a first time owner.

I'd go with a .22 so you can practice endlessly for cheap and get accustomed to guns easily, or a .357 magnum so you can practice on the cheap with .38 cartridges and slowly get used to a higher power curve plus just have an excellent defensive cartridge and manageable gun, or a 9 mm for a relatively low recoil but still decent defensive gun that doesn't cost a fortune to practice with.

I think everyone should have a .22. It's a great learning and plinking calibre, and probably has more field utility than any other calibre. And you can get a very good one for a reasonable price.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was sayin just the magnums were good for first time people i didnt address a particular model type /images/graemlins/frown.gif

peachy
05-19-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that i love mine...they are a great great gun...and ive told him this so its my fault

Voltron87
05-19-2005, 10:26 PM
peacheee owns a gun?

peachy
05-19-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
peacheee owns a gun?

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah i own about 12! i was asked before to post the types...guess most didnt see it haha im from the south and was daddys lil girl (he didnt get a boy til i was about 11) so i was made into a lil tom girl with him - hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, changing oil, working on cars/tractors/etc - and then a lil princess in curls when i was with my mom...it worked out kinda nice for me hehehe

Voltron87
05-19-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
peacheee owns a gun?

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah i own about 12! i was asked before to post the types...guess most didnt see it haha im from the south and was daddys lil girl (he didnt get a boy til i was about 11) so i was made into a lil tom girl with him - hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, changing oil, working on cars/tractors/etc - and then a lil princess in curls when i was with my mom...it worked out kinda nice for me hehehe

[/ QUOTE ]

an m3, a gun, damn, are you a cocaine dealer or something?

peachy is turning into peach337

CCass
05-19-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am armed to the teeth.

[/ QUOTE ]

As am I. And I have 3 young children. Teach them the importance of gun safety at a young age.

peachy
05-19-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
peacheee owns a gun?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah u have NO clue the magnitude of ur statement lol

DukeSucks
05-19-2005, 10:45 PM
I've been happy with my little Makarov similar to this one.

http://makarov.stsland.ru/makarov1.jpg

J.A.Sucker
05-19-2005, 11:45 PM
Glock 23 and a smith 340PD. Both are great guns, though serve different purposes. The 340 is the best to have around, but the glock is much better to shoot.

AviD
05-19-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
peacheee owns a gun?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO...I'll just leave it at that.

brassnuts
05-20-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uumm its considered a make...its who makes it so if ur gonna label it a make or model magnum is a make or maybe ive just been taught wrong by mah dad all mah life...but then again he prolly said that to me as a child b/c it was easier and all my knowledge of them comes from him for the most part.

And just to show an example of it...i call jet skis ski jets cause when i was lil i called the regular ones jet skis and the ones that squirted water jet skis...and i almost always call a block of cheese a hand stick...dumb habits from childhood r hard to break for me lol so i may be way off here...

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you're saying, but a "make" refers to the manufacturer of whatever you're talking about (guns, cars, whatever). As you can see here (http://www.the-dirtiest.com/ballisti.htm), there are many different gun manufactures that use the magnum cartridge. Also, when dealing with guns, obviously you deal with many different sized bullets. I believe that magnum just refers to a bullet of a particular calibre that has bigger cartridges with more gun powder than normal.

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-20-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe that magnum just refers to a bullet of a particular calibre that has bigger cartridges with more gun powder than normal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds good to me.

[ QUOTE ]
Magnum: Of or relating to a cartridge containing a larger explosive charge than other cartridges of the same size.

[/ QUOTE ]

peachy
05-20-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
peacheee owns a gun?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO...I'll just leave it at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha FU AVID!!! zip it!!!

jakethebake
05-20-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am armed to the teeth.

[/ QUOTE ]

As am I. And I have 3 young children. Teach them the importance of gun safety at a young age.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

jakethebake
05-20-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Would like a streetsweeper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never know when one of those will come in handy. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
05-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Of my pistols I shoot the Glock 21 the most, with the extended mag it gives me 17 .45 rounds. I really want one of these...

http://www.yee.ch/~movies/M/miib/miib_dvd.jpg

SCfuji
05-20-2005, 09:40 AM
do you bunny hop around the shooting range?

Pinga
05-20-2005, 01:27 PM
My first gun was a pistol-grip 12 guage shotgun (http://personalsecurityzone.com/images/MS50580lg.jpg). I thought some dude stole it a long time ago. I was cleaning a closet this morning and it dropped out. I was amazed. And a little /images/graemlins/blush.gif

We used to shoot skeet with this and I could hit 8/10. I always got a bloody lip trying to squeeze off a quick second shot!

I don't even like guns much any more. I use a compound bow most of the time although I do muzzload and carry a shotgun locally in season.

Favorites:
<ul type="square"> t/c encore muzzleloader (http://www.tcarms.com/encrifle/generalencoresm.jpg) Deerslayer.
gonic arms muzzleloader (http://www.americanshooting.com/American%20Shooting%201.html) I sold this when I got the encore.
cheap walmart 12 guage (http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/01/06/33/10/0001063310100_500X500.jpg) No finish left on the stock. It might kill a turkey on Sat. morning.
winchester .30/.30 (http://www.chuckhawks.com/win94.jpg) Wild west style.
remington .30/.06 (http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/04/77/00/26/0004770026366_500X500.jpg) Very accurate but too heavy to lump around all day.
[/list]
Least favorites:
<ul type="square"> .50 cal hunting muzzloader pistol (http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eShop/products/buckhunterpro_composite.gif) I can't hit a target with this thing. Standing right in front of it even.
.44 blackhawk (http://world.guns.ru/handguns/ruger_superblackhawk.jpg) Cuts your hand when you shoot it. Good for fooling friends.
[/list]

Wintermute
05-20-2005, 06:36 PM
I just got interested in guns about 4 months ago. So far, I've picked up two guns, and I started with some nice ones thanks to encouraging recent poker results...

Sig .45 1911 GSR:

http://www.sigarms.com/apps/cmt/img/granite-series-railŪ-large.jpg

I've fired over 1000 rounds with this firearm without a single misfire or jam; it also feels awesome, and looks pretty [censored] money.

Then I figured I needed more firepower if I was going to defend myself from a Grizzly bear in Alaska or something, so I picked up a Smith &amp; Wesson .44 Magnum 629 Light Hunter:

http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com/userimages/170181_large.jpg

This is a S&amp;W Performance Center firearm, so it's equipped with several goodies you don't normally see--built in compensator, removable stainless steel scope mount, etc. I like it because it hurts my hand after firing just 50 rounds, and it is over a foot long. This gun says one thing very clearly... "Do NOT [censored] with me." Hear that, grizzly bear? Do you?

Goddamn guns rule.