PDA

View Full Version : optimal play here?

Mercman572
05-19-2005, 02:56 PM
party tourny blinds 500/1000 (bubble has broke if it matters). i'm big stack for the table with 12000 in chips and have stolen a good share of blinds in position, tho some in MP with AQ and 4-4 since teh table hasn't been folding to most raises.

i am UTG+1 with QQ and make it 3600. an average player min raises to 7200 (has 9000 in chips). i figure he didn't put much on my raise since i'd been raising pretty often and put him on two face cards. i push in and he calls. is there a different line here?

results: player has AK os, rivers a king high flush that beats my queen_high /images/graemlins/frown.gif

A_PLUS
05-19-2005, 03:01 PM
No, the optimal play is to fold preflop.

Why would you ever raise and call a reraise with a hand that loses?

A_PLUS
05-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Sorry, I just thought my 400th post should be sarcastic.

Nothing you can do here, and I think you probably already know that. If stacks were deeper you could call, and push the flop, but no point here.

Mercman572
05-19-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, the optimal play is to fold preflop.

Why would you ever raise and call a reraise with a hand that loses?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think folding or limping here with queens is good play... as to calling a reraise i didn't put the raisor on KK or AA, the two hands i was concerned about. my range of hands for the raisor was 1010-JJ, A10-AK. it was a low buy-in tournament with a top heavy prize structure. i keep reading here on pushing small edges, and from my read on this player i was facing a probable underpair, or most likely one over card-from my judgement i was looking at worst at a coinflip.

my mentality here was double up or bust: 90 players left and the blinds increasing, i'm at average stack. at 50 you get 4X buy-in. should i let time pass and hope to crawl into 50 or was should i be trying to accumulate a stack? not being sarcastic, i want to know if i approached the tournament at this level in the right mind state. if i was trying to survive i would have folded

Mercman572
05-19-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I just thought my 400th post should be sarcastic.

Nothing you can do here, and I think you probably already know that. If stacks were deeper you could call, and push the flop, but no point here.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha you really had me questioning my play, but thats good because i found some reasoning behind what i did instead of kicking myself for losing this coinflip

DaveWilliams
05-19-2005, 03:18 PM
Just a bad beat, you played it fine. I think I'm folding Queens about 0% of the time in this situation.

A_PLUS
05-19-2005, 03:18 PM
The only flaw I see in your reasoning is to discount AA and KK. That is just wishful thinking. Villan probably plays those two the exact same way. We sometimes downgrade the probabilty of these two and upgrade the probability of TT-JJ (b/c we feel like they are somehow more likely).

Yes, you must raise. Yes you must push him in when he raises you. IMO