PDA

View Full Version : But I am le tiiiiiiiiiiiired

PoBoy321
05-19-2005, 02:17 PM
This is for all the other college students on this board who just got home in the past week, or are getting home in the next week or two.

How much does it suck having to adjust to a different sleep schedule because once you leave college and get back to the real world, people don't stay up until 4am and sleep till 1pm on a regular basis?

Yobz
05-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Took my last final today, start an internship soon, not looking forward to waking up on time. =(

istewart
05-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Dunno, it's been weird for me. At school I stayed up until 4-5 every night, waking up at 9 AM on weekdays and 2 PM on weekends.

My first few days home I went to bed at 9:00 PM each night; I was exhausted /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sponger15SB
05-19-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But I am le tiiiiiiiiiiiired

[/ QUOTE ]

Well have a nap....

DEN FIRE ZE MISSLES!!!!

WSUchica
05-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Wow, so true. My mom is driving me insane! She wakes me up early so I don't "waste my day" and is always reminding me things that I have to do. I blow dried my hair 4 times monday night before work so my mom would stop talking to me and telling me to move my hamsters into my room:

Mom: Soo...I'm thinking those hamsters should get moved into your roo-

Me: I know

Mom: Ok well I think we should do it before you go to work tonig-

Me: Ok I will

Mom: Ok and-

*Blowdryer*

Sounds mean, and I love my mom to death, but I just can't handle all this nagging!

Sponger15SB
05-19-2005, 02:36 PM
So instead of moving your hamsters into your room you decide to blow dry your hair 4x?

WTF.... why not just move your hamsters.

WSUchica
05-19-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So instead of moving your hamsters into your room you decide to blow dry your hair 4x?

WTF.... why not just move your hamsters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, I was just sick of my mom standing there telling me things that I knew I had to get done. Childish, I know...but it's definetly an adjustment moving back home

Sponger15SB
05-19-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is for all the other college students on this board who just got home in the past week, or are getting home in the next week or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing that bugs me about being home is that my mom always wants to spend about 10x more time than I'm used to on every meal.

I usually order <whatever food> and then go pick it up and eat it in front of my computer or have a bowl of cereal in the morning, but now for dinner we've gotta go out and eat pizza at a nice pizza place, which takes an hour, or we gotta go get bagels, or go walk down to the shopping center and get lunch.

Its like 1/2 of my day is spent eating.

tbach24
05-19-2005, 02:41 PM
Wow, I am surprised to see that you guys get nagged by your parents to wake up at a reasonable hour. My parents (just recently began last summer) have allowed me to be out/get up when I want to, until 2 weeks before the school year. Interesting.

pshreck
05-19-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, so true. My mom is driving me insane! She wakes me up early so I don't "waste my day" and is always reminding me things that I have to do. I blow dried my hair 4 times monday night before work so my mom would stop talking to me and telling me to move my hamsters into my room:

*Blowdryer*

Sounds mean, and I love my mom to death, but I just can't handle all this nagging!

[/ QUOTE ]

This single post has significantly helped me understand how often parents are right and children are wrong, despite the fact that the child thinks they are right.

You actually think you are the reasonable one in this story?

tbach24
05-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Wow, this too surprises me. My parents offer for me to go out to eat with them to dinner, and sometimes I accept, but they don't make me. We also eat in a lot, but that's on nights that have sports games or a movie we want to watch. My brother and I basically have free reign.

WSUchica
05-19-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I am surprised to see that you guys get nagged by your parents to wake up at a reasonable hour. My parents (just recently began last summer) have allowed me to be out/get up when I want to, until 2 weeks before the school year. Interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does me being the oldest of 5 have anything to do with it? My youngest brother is 9. In my experience with most of my friends it seems like my friends who are the youngest, their parents really don't care that much, but the oldest seem to have the curfews (which I don't have luckily) and their parents are always on them about where they are going and to call if the plans change (which, unfortunately, I do have)

Sound familiar?

tbach24
05-19-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does me being the oldest of 5 have anything to do with it? My youngest brother is 9. In my experience with most of my friends it seems like my friends who are the youngest, their parents really don't care that much, but the oldest seem to have the curfews (which I don't have luckily) and their parents are always on them about where they are going and to call if the plans change (which, unfortunately, I do have)

Sound familiar?

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense. My parents used to make us give them all the details of where we're going, but not really anymore. It could also be because my mom works nights and my dad has a weird schedule. I also only have one brother who is 19.

Gamblor
05-19-2005, 02:50 PM
If I ever pulled a stunt like this, I apologize

WSUchica
05-19-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

*Blowdryer*

[/ QUOTE ]

This single post has significantly helped me understand how often parents are right and children are wrong, despite the fact that the child thinks they are right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, as I said before, I know I was being childish...I even apologized to her the next morning when we were chatting.

billyjex
05-19-2005, 02:51 PM
I finished finals today, and this summer will consist of playing poker all day and having 5am-3pm sleeping hours. Sucks for you!

Sponger15SB
05-19-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, as I said before, I know I was being childish...I even apologized to her the next morning when we were chatting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't matter. His point is still valid.

howzit
05-19-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sound familiar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your mom has to treat you like she treats your youngest brother. She probably can't switch back and forth between taking care of your siblings and treating you like an adult.

My sister took the brunt of it from my parents growing up, but by the time i came back from college, they just went, "we trust your judgment = we've done enough parenting"

BTW, my sister used to do the same thing w/the hair dryer. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

deacsoft
05-19-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I am le tiiiiiiiiiiiired

[/ QUOTE ]

Well have a nap....

DEN FIRE ZE MISSLES!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jakethebake
05-19-2005, 03:05 PM
If she brings up the hamsters again, put 'em in her pooper.

PoBoy321
05-19-2005, 03:12 PM
True, blowdrying your hair 4 times just to avoid talking to your mom is kind of ridiculous, but I know where she's coming from. Your parents want you to do something, and they want to talk to you, but you don't really have anything to talk about (I mean like, with your parents, you don't have the same type of casual conversation that you have with your friends), so they just keeep telling you the things you have to do over and over again, but at some point, you know what you have to do and you just get fed up hearing about it.

CrashPat
05-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Home? Rent a place in your college town and live there year round. It is probably more cost effective than moving twice a year and it keeps you from living at home.

WSUchica
05-19-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If she brings up the hamsters again, put 'em in her pooper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, ok /images/graemlins/grin.gif

WSUchica
05-19-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
True, blowdrying your hair 4 times just to avoid talking to your mom is kind of ridiculous, but I know where she's coming from. Your parents want you to do something, and they want to talk to you, but you don't really have anything to talk about (I mean like, with your parents, you don't have the same type of casual conversation that you have with your friends), so they just keeep telling you the things you have to do over and over again, but at some point, you know what you have to do and you just get fed up hearing about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. And even in another week it probably won't faze me anymore...but when I'm not used to it it's driving me crazy

PoBoy321
05-19-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Home? Rent a place in your college town and live there year round. It is probably more cost effective than moving twice a year and it keeps you from living at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, you obviously don't know what rents are like in northwest DC.

WSUchica
05-19-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got an apartment at school, but #1 I am not comfortable living by myself and #2 I can't afford a car AND an apartment yet...still working on that

Sponger15SB
05-19-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is probably more cost effective

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell? That isn't even close to being true.

AviD
05-19-2005, 03:19 PM
I miss those days. It took me a few days (week even) to get back to "normal" after finals, but those were the good old days.

PoBoy321
05-19-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] What the hell? That isn't even close to being true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that if you went to the University of East Shitstain or something you could probably live like a king off-campus for about $3/day.

EDIT: And if you had to take 3 flights, a boat and a camel ride to get home.

scream1158
05-19-2005, 03:35 PM
I had 1 week after finals to live up my summer before starting my summer internship. I now work from 8:30-4:30 5 days a week in an office. I have to wake up at 6:45 because it is a 50 minute drive (like 35 on the way home without traffic) and I am already sick of it. Going to bed at like 11 is impossible so by the time i fall asleep its like 1. I am dying to sleep the weekend away. BTW, i HATE traffic and i HATE the typical 9-5 workday. I need to work like 10-6. Also, I am posting this while at work, so I'm not really doing much but reading the forums to pass the time which is fine with me.

Sponger15SB
05-19-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] What the hell? That isn't even close to being true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that if you went to the University of East Shitstain or something you could probably live like a king off-campus for about $3/day.

EDIT: And if you had to take 3 flights, a boat and a camel ride to get home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.... I guess being from california and going to school in california I have a different view of how much things cost. Also, I'm one of my only friends who parents don't pay for 90% of everything, so if I were to live at home the entire summer it would be much much much much much cheaper for me.

NutCrackerr
05-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Have you guys ever heard of a website called QLC (http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com/) ? Maybe you should move this discussion over there.

edtost
05-19-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Took my last final today, start an internship soon, not looking forward to waking up on time. =(

[/ QUOTE ]

peachy
05-19-2005, 04:44 PM
i stay on the same sleep schedules when school is over hahaha maybe cause after freshman year 6 years ago ive never gone home!! mwmwhahahaha

PS thank god it wasnt that f'in video...i have a few friends who talk like it ALLLLL the time - drives me NUTS!!

peachy
05-19-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I miss those days. It took me a few days (week even) to get back to "normal" after finals, but those were the good old days.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes yes...OLD MAN!! thats the reason im still in college!! I dont wanna get a real job!!!

Ianco15
05-19-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
or we gotta go get bagels

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but this made me laugh really hard. Are you jewish?

SmileyEH
05-19-2005, 05:05 PM
I would kill myself if I spent more than 2 weeks at home.

-SmileyEH

Blarg
05-19-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad always thought there was some inherent virtue to getting up at 6 in the morning every day, even on weekends, and my mom basically just went along with whatever my dad said. We have a big family too, full of little kids who went to bed early and get up early easy becuase of it, so at the crack of dawn our house went from silence to sounding like we were under mortar attack or something. No consideration for anyone who didn't fit that exact sleep profile. Worst for me was that I've always been a more or less severe insomniac, and I can't fall asleep till 2:00 a.m. even when I'm exhausted, so waking up at 6:00 is murder.

To this day, whenever I think of the greatest pleasures in life, simple things like sleep and quiet are at the absolute top of the list.

Blarg
05-19-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But not fed up enough to just do it in the first place, instead of being stubborn and doing everything the hard way, like kids typically do for no reason.

It's funny, when you're an adult, and look back on all those little requests and restrictions your folks made of you, you see how fair and reasonable almost all of them were, and how absurd it was to make such a fuss or harbor resentment over them. Parents can sometimes be screwballs, but kids can go so far over the top on that without ever realizing it in the slightest.

Blarg
05-19-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had 1 week after finals to live up my summer before starting my summer internship. I now work from 8:30-4:30 5 days a week in an office. I have to wake up at 6:45 because it is a 50 minute drive (like 35 on the way home without traffic) and I am already sick of it. Going to bed at like 11 is impossible so by the time i fall asleep its like 1. I am dying to sleep the weekend away. BTW, i HATE traffic and i HATE the typical 9-5 workday. I need to work like 10-6. Also, I am posting this while at work, so I'm not really doing much but reading the forums to pass the time which is fine with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the rest of your life.

scott8
05-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Us poker players still sleep until 1pm.
MUUUUUHAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eurotrash
05-19-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PS thank god it wasnt that f'in video...i have a few friends who talk like it ALLLLL the time - drives me NUTS!!

[/ QUOTE ]

There has to be irony here, right?