PDA

View Full Version : Was this the right move?

MikeyEdge
12-06-2002, 11:09 AM
12 person No-Limit HE Tournament, 10 left. We were in the second round of blinds 50-100. Average stack is between 1,000-2,000. Three people including myself have about 3,500-4,000.

I see the flop with 5-5 in the SB for $100, 5 limpers plus the Blinds are in.

Flop comes J-J-10. BB+2 bets $100. Everyone calls except maybe one person.

Turn is a 5. So I've got the small boat. First up, I check it to BB+2 who bets $100 again. 5 callers. I raise all-in for another 3,200.

All fold to the Button who ponders for a minute and calls, unfortunately he is the only person who has me covered. He calls with a J-2.

The 10 falls on the river and I'm out.

Now, my questions is, should I have moved all-in with a small boat so early in the tournament, even though I was a 87% favorite. With that many people in the hand, should I have waited to see if a 10 or J fell on the river to move all-in. Maybe its just a bad beat, and I'm still bitter.

Bozeman
12-06-2002, 01:30 PM
In general, there's no reason to massively overbet the pot here. However, if you figured to get called by trips, I think the move is good.

Early or late, this edge is way too big to pass on.

However, if your (sensible) opponents will only call with a boat, this play is severely sub-optimal.

Craig

JohnM
12-06-2002, 03:46 PM
Bozeman is right about the turn overbet but my experience in these small tourneys is that you will get called way to often so the move is often profitable. I do question, though, the call of the flop bet. Yes, it is very small in relation to your stack but the pot is 800 so you are getting 8 to 1 on your 2 outer, a 26 to one shot. Not very sound. A fold there keeps you out of trouble and you might even be drawing dead. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
For what it is worth, I almost NEVER limp in a tournement. If I can't raise, I don't play but your seeing the flop with 55 in the small blind is certainly correct.
good luck /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

ken
12-07-2002, 12:39 AM
You should have muck after the flop. With six callers odds are somebodys slow playing there trips or as it turned out a jack with no kicker. You chose to see the flop cheap it wasn't your flop it was time to muck your 55.

Marco Trevix
12-07-2002, 11:16 PM
TWo reasons why you made a mistake

1) ON the flop you have to release your hand given the flop

2) THe flop is threatining (J-J-10) since many players play J-10 as starting hand

Marco

ohkanada
12-09-2002, 10:59 AM
"Maybe its just a bad beat, and I'm still bitter."

Sure it is a bad beat and yeah you probably are bitter! You want your J2 opponent to call. You just don't want him to hit a J, T or 2.

Not sure if you should have even called the flop bet. You are looking at 2 outs.

Ken Poklitar