PDA

View Full Version : MTT, near the bubble, pushing mid-sized stack with QQ PF

USGrant
05-19-2005, 09:05 AM
A scenario has occured 3-4 times recently when I'm in a big PP tourney, near or at the bubble with somewhat below average stack (about 10 big blinds), and I'm looking down at Q-Q. There is a limper in front of me, and I push, and get called by the limper or some big stack behind me. They invariably are calling with awesome hands like K /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif or A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and I lose when a K or A spikes on the turn or river.

Should I not be pushing here, and instead do a standard 3.5x BB raise and wait to push if there are not overcards on the flop? I don't like giving relatively cheap looks at the flop to big stacks at this point in the tourney, so this is why I push.

Mammux
05-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Don't be result-oriented. Generally, if you have 10xbb or less, push should be your only raise (unless you are trying to encourage action in a couple of rare cases).

-Magnus

nightlyraver
05-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Easy push. If a fool will call you w/ A4, you are outplaying him and he is just getting lucky when you lose. Think about it - why wouldn't you want to get your chips in when you are 3:1 favorite? If your push invites a call like that, I'm making it every day and twice on Sundays. If you get beat, that's poker - but you must put up a good fight and not squander your strength. With 10xBB, you're going to the flop w/ 7xBB at most if you just do a standard raise and you may get more than 1 caller which is very bad for QQ. Once you see the flop, you are committed anyway as 7xBB is too short to be effective later on. Remember, don't play to try and squeeze into the money - play to be skilled and competative. In reality, if A4 or K8 is calling a 10xBB push w/ QQ you are attacking him in the absolute best possible way. Feel comfort in that.

Lloyd
05-19-2005, 11:38 AM
If you play a lot, you WANT to get called with those hands. Yes, you will occasionally get drawn out on but over the long run this is a very profitable move for you. Just getting into the money in an online MTT should not be worth your time. You can make more money per hour mowing lawns. Your goal is to get deep into the money and pushing these types of hands (and get called by huge underdogs) is something you have to do.

nightlyraver
05-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Oh yeah - one more thing...

Party Poker tourneys are by far the absolute worst online tourneys around. Seriously, they are HUGE making them difficult to win and are full of completely erratic players making it far less enjoyable. I like playing against fish in a cash game, but in a tourney I like a little challenge and some solid play. The 800-2000 person tourneys on PP just didn't do it for me. Try finding a smaller site where you can play 120-200 person tourneys. Cash obviously isn't as big, but I find it a lot more fun.

schwza
05-19-2005, 12:08 PM
so you keep getting the money in as a 70-30 favorite, huh? bummer.

ijustliketoplay
05-19-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so you keep getting the money in as a 70-30 favorite, huh? bummer.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL