PDA

View Full Version : Q5o IP BB HU with TAG SB

thesharpie
05-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Over 60 or 70 hands he looks like a TAG, 16.5/7.6 aggressive postflop. The only note I have on him is he bet a flush draw on the turn when checked to and again on the river when he didn't make it... So he's capable of bluffing. I noticed once or twice he folded to a flop raise after leading. Also his went to showdown is only 15%. He's had 1 oppurtunity to steal the blinds and took it against my SB on the button...

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

ajrenni
05-19-2005, 08:32 AM
I don't think Q5o is strong enough to get involved with pre-flop. You are an underdog to a random hand, so even if SB is raising with trash, his trash could easily beat your trash. There was an article in the 2+2 magazine - I think it was in April - talking about defending the blinds in short-handed play, and the author talked about showdown value (how likely you are to win if neither of you improve all the way to the river) and the recommendation was basically to pull moves like this when your hand has decent showdown value (i.e. Ax or Kx).

But since you tried this move, I do like the flop raise, since it is pretty much your only way to win. If SB has an overpair, he will probably 3-bet you. If he doesn't, he will probably think he has only 6 (possibly discounted) outs in a small pot. If he doesn't fold now and he doesn't improve on the turn, he will probably fold to a bet there, getting only 5:1.

However, if you think SB is capable of calling your flop raise and investing money in the turn, you are better off folding the flop. Where this play turns bad for you is if he calls your flop raise and turn bet, and at the free showdown turns something that beats your Q5o. If this is really a blind steal, he could have hit a pair on the flop and might consider the fact that you could be bluffing enough overlay to call down without the odds (he could do this with overcards as well, particularly KJ).

You are also in trouble if he pulls a stop and go on you, or you get check-raised on the turn, especially if the turn is a Queen. In that case you will have invested $ when your hand was worthless and will have to abandon it when it does have some value.

BottlesOf
05-19-2005, 09:54 AM
I don't like the preflop or the flop. I'd defend a fair number of hands here, but Q5o just doesn't have enough going for it, and you can be dominated eevn by trash.

I also don't like the flop raise, with a board that coordinated, I don't see him leaving anytime soon. It's very likely he's got you beat right then and you're drawing to 3 outs, or he's got some semblance of a draw and won't leave the pot until the river at the earliest.

I like what you're trying to do, by knocking a bluffer off a pot when he shows that he can be, but in this tiny pot with trash, I think you can find a better spot.

MrWookie47
05-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Q5o is not too bad a holding in this situation. If villain is raising with a random hand, even 32o is only a 2:1 dog. Granted, villain is probably not raising with a random hand, but Hero is getting 3:1, and he has position. He also makes villain for a weak-tightie.

So far, I think I like it. If he flat calls you're bet, I think you have to bet the turn as the last money you're putting into the pot UI.