PDA

View Full Version : Is this rude? Or am I a racist

irishken
05-19-2005, 05:38 AM
Usual situation you are sitting in bus and couple black people sits behind you. Then they start talking and oh my [censored] god cant these morons speak just little bit quietly.
I wait couple of mins and then decide I cant take this [censored] and move couple of benches ahead so I dont need to listen them shouting.

Rude?

As a side note, why do only black people speak so [censored] loud? All other races can speak like normal humans, but some black people just cant do it. I dont know if its only somalians, who are the only black ppl who live here.

Phoenix1010
05-19-2005, 05:45 AM
Yes the shouting is rude, but yes you are a racist.

solid
05-19-2005, 06:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As a side note, why do only black people speak so [censored] loud? All other races can speak like normal humans

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you're the moron and not them.

JaBlue
05-19-2005, 07:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I wait couple of mins and then decide I cant take this [censored] and move couple of benches ahead so I dont need to listen them shouting.

[/ QUOTE ]

not racist
[ QUOTE ]

Rude?

As a side note, why do only black people speak so [censored] loud? All other races can speak like normal humans, but some black people just cant do it. I dont know if its only somalians, who are the only black ppl who live here.

[/ QUOTE ]

racist

JackWilson
05-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Yes, you are being a racist. You know why? Because part of tolerance is accepting other cultures/races/religions etc no matter what quirks and things they might have that you disagree with.

irishken
05-19-2005, 09:05 AM
I understand that, and I at least would like to think im pretty open minded.

Does it matter that I would have done the same thing if the loud person was white, asian or whatever. i.e its not a about what it was, it just annoys me when in public places people shout.

jakethebake
05-19-2005, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, you are being a racist. You know why? Because part of tolerance is accepting other cultures/races/religions etc no matter what quirks and things they might have that you disagree with.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an idiotic statement. Being intolerant of actions does not make you racist. Being intolerant of actions dependent on the persons race does.

jakethebake
05-19-2005, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I understand that, and I at least would like to think im pretty open minded.

Does it matter that I would have done the same thing if the loud person was white, asian or whatever. i.e its not a about what it was, it just annoys me when in public places people shout.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't spend much time around Asians do you? Many of them are pretty damn loud. Yes, it's a cultural thing. Yes, it annoys me too. I don't think it's racist. As you said, I wouldn't enjoy being around a white person that's loud either.

JackWilson
05-19-2005, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

This is an idiotic statement. Being intolerant of actions does not make you racist. Being intolerant of actions dependent on the persons race does.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an idiotic statement. Being intolerant of black people because they are too loud is clearly being racist.

RunDownHouse
05-19-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Because part of tolerance is accepting other cultures/races/religions etc no matter what quirks and things they might have that you disagree with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Complete PC BS.

hutz
05-19-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an idiotic statement. Being intolerant of black people because they are too loud is clearly being racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've gotta call bullshit on you here. Being intolerant of loud people is not racist, regardless of your race or theirs. Loud is loud regardless of one's skin color. Under your theory, minorities should be given freedom to do whatever the hell they want because of their skin color (because to correct any improper action on their part would be racist).

tek
05-19-2005, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody has to be be around people they don't like. It's called freedom. Forced "tolerance" is bull.

Furthermore, many blacks are rascist. That's why when they don't get their way they play the 'race card' against caucasians.

And what's up with them talking to the movie screens at theaters /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thank goodness for Netflix /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JackWilson
05-19-2005, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I've gotta call bullshit on you here. Being intolerant of loud people is not racist, regardless of your race or theirs. Loud is loud regardless of one's skin color. Under your theory, minorities should be given freedom to do whatever the hell they want because of their skin color (because to correct any improper action on their part would be racist).

[/ QUOTE ]

No no, you're totally missing what I'm trying to say. Look at the part where he says:

[ QUOTE ]
oh my [censored] god cant these morons speak just little bit quietly. why do only black people speak so [censored] loud? All other races can speak like normal humans

[/ QUOTE ]

I rest my case.

EDIT: I have no trouble with him not wanting to sit next to them because they're loud.

Gin 'n Tonic
05-19-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, for race ALONE, but the other two groups - cultures/religions make sense.

jakethebake
05-19-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being intolerant of loud people isn't. Being intolerant only of loud people that happen to be black is.

JackWilson
05-19-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being intolerant of loud people isn't. Being intolerant only of loud people that happen to be black is.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF, do you practise selective reading or something? Did you just skim over the part where he says

[ QUOTE ]
why do only black people speak so [censored] loud? All other races can speak like normal humans

[/ QUOTE ]

???

jakethebake
05-19-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
part of tolerance is accepting other cultures/races/religions etc no matter what quirks and things they might have that you disagree with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps we should be more tolerant of religious cults that abuse small children? I hate this whoile "tolerance" thing. It's NOT a matter of "tolerance".

hutz
05-19-2005, 09:36 AM
You might want to wait to rest your case until you've actually proven your point. In this situation, you haven't yet done that. You told jake (who didn't make the statement you quoted before resting your case -- the OP did) that he was idiotic for stating that simply being annoyed by loud people is not racist just because the loud people are black. Your response to jake's post was clearly BS for the reasons I stated. Quoting the OP's blanket statements about loud black people doesn't change that.

irishken
05-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Whats your problem? I specifically said that it doesent depend on race. It just that where I live I hear only black people speaking loud.

I think you are the one who practice selective reading.

jakethebake
05-19-2005, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
WTF, do you practise selective reading or something? Did you just skim over the part where he says

[ QUOTE ]
why do only black people speak so [censored] loud? All other races can speak like normal humans

[/ QUOTE ]

???

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I wasn't arguing that he was a racist or not. Your statement was a general one, and I was arguing that your statement was stupid, which it is. It's politically correct crap. Not only that, but it's poorly thought out politically correct crap.

JackWilson
05-19-2005, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You might want to wait to rest your case until you've actually proven your point. In this situation, you haven't yet done that. You told jake (who didn't make the statement you quoted before resting your case -- the OP did) that he was idiotic for stating that simply being annoyed by loud people is not racist just because the loud people are black. Your response to jake's post was clearly BS for the reasons I stated. Quoting the OP's blanket statements about loud black people doesn't change that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen here buddy. My intention was never to prove that Jake's statement is idiotic (although he clearly misunderstood either me, the OP or possibly both). I used the phrase "is an idiotic statement" merely because he used it on me. Now STFU and stop trying to seem clever. It doesn't suit you.

jackdaniels
05-19-2005, 09:42 AM
needs volume (http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/mp3s.cgi?Austin_Powers_In_Goldmember=thedutch.mp3)

Freakin
05-19-2005, 09:43 AM
This whole [censored] thread is idiotic.

Freakin

Lazymeatball
05-19-2005, 09:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen here buddy. My intention was never to prove that Jake's statement is idiotic (although he clearly misunderstood either me, the OP or possibly both). I used the phrase "is an idiotic statement" merely because he used it on me. Now STFU and stop trying to seem clever. It doesn't suit you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get mad just because your logic sucks.

[ QUOTE ]
Quimby - How do we get out of here?
Homer - We'll dig our way out!
Pause (digging)
Moe - No dig up, stupid!

[/ QUOTE ]

hutz
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that you have been reduced to the last resort of those whose positions are no longer defensible -- cursing and name calling -- I will, indeed, STFU about this as long as you do the same.

JackWilson
[ QUOTE ]
Whats your problem? I specifically said that it doesent depend on race. It just that where I live I hear only black people speaking loud.

I think you are the one who practice selective reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked whether it's rude or whether you're racist. Now you're telling me this was actually not what your post was about? In addition, you certainly did not say anything about it not depending on race in your original post.

Ok, now let me clarify for the last time. Looking at OP I formed an opinion that yes, his thoughts of "all races can speak normally but blacks have to [censored] shout all the time" were indeed racist. I don't care whether Jakethebake thinks my comments about tolerance are bullshit. End of discussion.

RunDownHouse
05-19-2005, 09:50 AM
You should be more tolerant of Jake's opinion.

JoshuaD
05-19-2005, 09:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're logic is all backwards and mixed up. He's intolerant of anyone who's too loud. That's not racist. He thinks blacks are more inclined to be loud than other races. That might be racist, but if it's true I don't think it is.

Oski
05-19-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're logic is all backwards and mixed up. He's intolerant of anyone who's too loud. That's not racist. He thinks blacks are more inclined to be loud than other races. That might be racist, but if it's true I don't think it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least beat the correct dead horse. The "debate" has nothing to do with what the O.P. stated. The "debate" is only about this statement:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its pretty clear: J.W. uses a definition of "racist" which I have never seen or heard, anywhere. Why? Well, JaketheBake has the answer ... its total gibberish, an idiotic statement. Furthermore, the well reasoned Hutz correctly "called B.S." on J.W.

J.W. attempted to turn the tide by mangling the O.P. original's statement/question, but, nobody is fooled by the smoke and mirrors. Furthemore, as Hutz pointed out, his position was so untenable, J.W. was forced into ad hominem attacks to save face.

I vote: Not only was it an idiotic statement, it was also total B.S.

-Skeme-
05-19-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf. That's not racist. That's an observation about a group of people. You don't dislike them because they're black, you dislike them because they're loud as hell. Not racist. And I concur, the black girls at my old High School were louder than hell.

AviD
05-19-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
part of tolerance is accepting other cultures/races/religions etc no matter what quirks and things they might have that you disagree with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps we should be more tolerant of religious cults that abuse small children? I hate this whoile "tolerance" thing. It's NOT a matter of "tolerance".

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a long drawn out response about Nigeria's legality and "tolerance" of rape involved...but I'll just agree with what you said as it achieves the same thing.

Dex
05-19-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As a side note, why do only black people speak so [censored] loud?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your sample size is too small.

jedi
05-19-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Usual situation you are sitting in bus and couple black people sits behind you. Then they start talking and oh my [censored] god cant these morons speak just little bit quietly.

Rude?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you're racist.

I think you completely misunderstand the concept of culture and the differences that different cultures have too.

daryn
05-19-2005, 05:06 PM
what i want to know is what ever happened to being able to comment on a race, without being a racist?

for instance:

why do chinese people eat so much chinese food??? racist? no, but

why are fat black women so damn loud? racist? somehow yes!

both true

brassnuts
05-19-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but this is truly retarded. I can't believe people can think like this. You can't just give a green light for any activity simply because it's part of the their cultural background. Some things are simply unacceptable. Maybe in some remote New Guini, it is costomary to urinate on your fellow passengers in a bus. Great. If you're in New Guini, go for it, but I doubt that sh!t is going to fly anywhere else. Now, back to the OP's subject, being loud is annoying, but isn't horrible. But, you can't just lay blanket statements out there like you just did. Also, your logic in subsequent posts is equally flawed.

brassnuts
05-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Duh! If your commenting negatively about a race, you're a racist, regardless of being right or wrong.

Boris
05-19-2005, 05:48 PM
You are a racist. No question about it.

daryn
05-19-2005, 05:52 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Duh! If your commenting negatively about a race, you're a racist, regardless of being right or wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

right.. but somehow

swedish people are so white! they must sunburn easily...

racist? not? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME

people are so stupid. let's just use common sense.

istewart
05-19-2005, 05:52 PM
STFU

No one likes loud people.

Black people are louder than normal people.

You make the connection.

To the OP, no, you are not racist. You are white.

Voltron87
05-19-2005, 05:54 PM
not liking loud people on the bus- not racist

thinking that black people can't speak normally- racist

pretty simple

istewart
05-19-2005, 05:54 PM
He's just aksing a question.

Voltron87
05-19-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All other races can speak like normal humans, but some black people just cant do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's only asking a question? sure.

istewart
05-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Clearly you didn't get the side joke in there: "aksing."

On another note, he's saying "some" black people, not all black people, and guess what? He's correct and everyone knows he is.

brassnuts
05-19-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

people are so stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was originally going to be my response to you.

But, I wonder, we both agree that stating facts about a race isn't racism, but would disliking them simply because of whatever facts/reasons make you racist? If so, I don't why it's such a bad thing to be a racists. Many things about different cultures annoy the hell out of me, and I definitely hold some negative sentiment toward them.

Voltron87
05-19-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Clearly you didn't get the side joke in there: "aksing."

On another note, he's saying "some" black people, not all black people, and guess what? He's correct and everyone knows he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Your joke was not funny.
2. I would sort of agree with you (it is pretty obvious that OP is a bigot) but he goes on to say "all other races can speak normally". There are hispanics and white people who talk too loud and are annoying as well. Saying that "yes, some black people are loud and annoying so he's not racist" is bs.

brassnuts
05-19-2005, 06:08 PM
One word: generalizations.

istewart
05-19-2005, 06:10 PM
He comes across as bigot-like, but his observations are largely correct and I believe his question is fairly honest. In general black people are very loud.

daryn
05-19-2005, 06:10 PM

people are so stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, I wonder, we both agree that stating facts about a race isn't racism, but would disliking them simply because of whatever facts/reasons make you racist? If so, I don't why it's such a bad thing to be a racists. Many things about different cultures annoy the hell out of me, and I definitely hold some negative sentiment toward them.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, clearly it's wrong to hate THE WHOLE GROUP due to some predisposed notion. obviously not all fat black women are loud as hell, so to hate a fat black woman you don't know, simply because a hefty (ha) percentage of them are incredibly loud, it stupid and racist.

The Goober
05-19-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This difference b/t these two is really, really obvious. The first is easily proven (by looking at food import/sale in china, for example) and the second is pure anecdotal evidence. I would challenge you to show me anything remotely objective that makes the case that all, or even most, fat black women are loud. The vast majority of the time when people say "people of race X do Y that pisses me off" they are subject to a huge selection bias. You are much more likely to notice the two fat black women talking loudly on the bus then you are to notice the other two that are quietly sitting there reading. Its the same flawed logic that leads the fish to conclude that "pocket aces never win for me".

Anecdotal evidence is virtually always worthless when making an argument, so enough of the "it must be a cultural thing, because every black guy I've ever met talks loudly"

daryn
05-19-2005, 06:13 PM
i love this..

if two black people were talking about this, it probably woudn't be uncommon for one of them to say

"hell yeah we're loud! we got soooooooooooul"

but somehow that's not racist.

brassnuts
05-19-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

people are so stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, clearly it's wrong to hate THE WHOLE GROUP due to some predisposed notion. obviously not all fat black women are loud as hell, so to hate a fat black woman you don't know, simply because a hefty (ha) percentage of them are incredibly loud, it stupid and racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, but now enter prejudice into the equation, and things get a little hairy.

KungFuSandwich
05-19-2005, 06:15 PM
I hate sorarowhores who yell their inane phone conversations on the bus.

Guess Im sexist.

Know what a woman does when she gets out of the battered wives shelter?

The dishes if she knows whats good for her.

daryn
05-19-2005, 06:17 PM
also, i contend it has nothing to do with the race.

for instance, same scenario, i hear very loud inane chatter on a bus. i turn around and see two fat white chicks yammering on and on loudly.

i think to myself, ARGH I HATE LOUD FAT PEOPLE

i don't hate ALL fat people. i don't hate ALL white people just because they are white.

istewart
05-19-2005, 06:19 PM
It's just the concept of having your peace of mind ruined by loud unpleasant noises, which could easily be caused by, say, some Chinese people as well.

brassnuts
05-19-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anecdotal evidence is virtually always worthless when making an argument

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why anecdotal evidence gets such a bad rep. I'm sure observations could be done in a better manner, but you shouldn't completely dismiss all anecdotal evidence.

The Goober
05-19-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

for instance, same scenario, i hear very loud inane chatter on a bus. i turn around and see two fat white chicks yammering on and on loudly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you are making sense. I, too, hate loud fat people. I think most of these racism debates wouldn't happen if people restricted their comments to the actions of those that piss them off, not their race/gender etc...

KungFuSandwich
05-19-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you are making sense. I, too, hate loud fat people. I think most of these racism debates wouldn't happen if people restricted their comments to the actions of those that piss them off, not their race/gender etc...

[/ QUOTE ] Do you not hate loud skinny people?

daryn
05-19-2005, 06:32 PM
yeah, in reality the race has nothing to do with it.

on the other hand, it can... for instance

if i say "did you see that car? it had those puerto rican fog lights".. you know exactly what i mean. now why did i say that.

or if i see a souped up honda civic with a huge spoiler on the back and that tailpipe that you could fit a watermelon in, and i say "the probability that the owner of that car is asian is greater than the probability that the owner of that car is white.", is that racist??

NO THESE ARE JUST FACTS

TripleH68
05-19-2005, 06:46 PM
I had a situation somewhat similar at the movies last weekend. Went to see Crash with the girlfriend and picked out a quiet row three from the top.

Then this family comes in and sits next to us in the row. Mom, dad and two kids. One is about 8 years old and is whining and pissing about not wanting to be there. The older brother is telling him to shut up. The mother is cussing at the both of them. After two minutes of non-stop racket the gf and I move forward about eight rows.

Oh so I felt a little funny because the family was black and we are white. I was hoping they did not take our moving the wrong way. How would you describe my feelings?

KungFuSandwich
05-19-2005, 06:52 PM
I saw blade 2 when it first came out, and the only thing that made me sit through it was the Lady behind me.

"Uhhh huh, Blade dont Play"

Phoenix1010
05-19-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf. That's not racist. That's an observation about a group of people. You don't dislike them because they're black, you dislike them because they're loud as hell. Not racist. And I concur, the black girls at my old High School were louder than hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

...I'm not sure if you're joking, or if you're really this dense.

Let me break it down into simple bits for you.

First off, racism does not mean disliking someone because of their race.

Racism:
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Racism is not only about hating people for the color of their skin, it is a mindset whereby differences in ability, character, and behavior are attributed solely to race.

Now lets take a look at the innocent original post

[ QUOTE ]
As a side note, why do only black people speak so loud? All other races can speak like normal humans, but some black people just cant do it. I dont know if its only somalians, who are the only black ppl who live here.

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP starts off by indicating that not only are all black people obnoxiously loud, but they are the only race who exhibit this behavior. He backs this up by saying that all races are capable of speaking normally, except black people, and he finishes by drawing the line between normal human beings, and those who can't speak at a a level he's comfortable with (black people). He almost makes up for these comments by qualifying his second statement with "some" black people, and then by wondering if maybe it's just the black people he's met that exhibit this characteristic, but in the end he fails. Since he wondered if it was only Somalians who were loud, you can assume when he said "some" he meant specific cultures within the set of "black people," perhaps in an attempt to be fair to non Somalian black people, but he still shows that he, like you, still just does not get it.

You can dislike someone for a behavioral characteristic, you can dislike a whole bunch of people for a behavioral characteristic. If the action pisses you off, it only makes sense. "I hate loud people because any shouting above a normal sound level irritates me and I think it's rude" is a perfectly acceptable statement.

But when you attribute that characteristic specifically to one race, based on their race, you have created a racial stereotype and pidgeonholed an entire group of people into one category, based on your own limited experience. This is not the same as a physical characteristic, or anything else that can be attributed to genetics. This is behavior. What the OP was saying was: "All black (or all Somalians) people act like the ones I have encountered on the bus, and I don't like them because of it." He wasn't asking for an explanation, he was venting, and looking for someone to agree with him. To say that this is an "observation about a group of people" is absurd; this is a stereotype of an incredibly large race of people, based on observations of a few individuals. Get it yet? Saying "these black people on the bus were really loud" is very different from saying "black people can't speak like normal humans."

Basically, your concurrence was a similar statement: "Some or all of the black people I've encountered have been loud (I call bullshit by the way, if there wasn't at least one normal speaking black person in your highschool, you must have gone to a really small school)." That's fine. When you say "because I've enountered some loud black people, I'm going to assume that all black people must be loud," not only are you being ignorant, you're being racist.

You can notice trends, everyone does. Selective memory and natural pattern recognition will cause your mind to start to hypothesize connections between groups of people and certain behavior. That's natural. To assume these hypotheses to be the truth, based on very limited sample size, and without any explanation about cultural or genetic causes for the connection, is just stupid. Moreover, it opens the door to far less innocent stereotypes that have been plaguing our society seemingly forever. The OP would have gotten far less support if he had said "some black kids in my class never do homework, black people can't be responsible like normal humans, or maybe it's just Somalians."

It doesn't matter whether you think this is "PC" or not. The labels do not disprove the logic. The OP made an unfair and ignorant generalization about a group of people based on race, and he was wrong to do so. Those trying to defend him are either misinformed or desperately trying to defend their own natural actions.

-Phoenix

The Goober
05-19-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
or if i see a souped up honda civic with a huge spoiler on the back and that tailpipe that you could fit a watermelon in, and i say "the probability that the owner of that car is asian is greater than the probability that the owner of that car is white.", is that racist??

NO THESE ARE JUST FACTS

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, there are plenty of places where your statement isn't true - there are areas with few asians and lots of white guys with souped-up civics.

But I'll ignore that for now. Supposing your statement is true, then its not a racist thing to say. But compare it to saying: "Why do asian guys always have to soup up their civics?" That statement is racist. Do you see the difference? I won't bother elaborating, because I think Phoenix's post really hits the nail on the head about this whole issue and he's explained it better than I can.

Blarg
05-19-2005, 08:49 PM
It's not racist to notice something cultural.

Pretending something cultural doesn't exist is very silly. This is where political correctness starts to fall apart so easily; it leaves you unable to even acknowledge reality, much less do anything positive or non-prejudiced regarding it.

Yobz
05-19-2005, 09:43 PM
racist!!!!

bernie
05-20-2005, 05:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
STFU

[/ QUOTE ]

No they're not.

b

bernie
05-20-2005, 05:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what i want to know is what ever happened to being able to comment on a race, without being a racist?

for instance:

both true

[/ QUOTE ]

Do chinese people actually call it chinese food?

b

daryn
05-20-2005, 05:41 AM
STFU

[/ QUOTE ]

No they're not.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe they are, but not BECAUSE they are black. i believe it has to do with social and cultural differences.

bernie
05-20-2005, 05:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
STFU

[/ QUOTE ]

No they're not.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe they are, but not BECAUSE they are black. i believe it has to do with social and cultural differences.

[/ QUOTE ]

To a point I agree. But it has nothing to do with them being black. At all. It's also likely more prominent in the US that way than in other countries.

Funny thing is that some blacks might actually claim it so then they can cry racism for one being annoyed by it. They're also wrong. It has nothing to do with them being black.

White trash is pretty loud. But loud and annoying is just loud and annoying no matter who you are.

The sample size to pin it more on one race than another is a little small in comparison to the big picture.

b

Blarg
05-20-2005, 05:54 AM
There you go.

People say Germans like to close the doors in their homes a lot, and Arabic people like to stand very close when they speak to you.

It's sure not genetic. It's cultural. And the observations are not racist, because they don't comment on genetic traits, but cultural ones.

I think it's pretty funny when I see white people scrambling to say black people aren't loud in movie theaters, when I've seen so many black comedians making jokes on precisely that subject -- how damn loud a lot of black people are in movie theaters!

If anyone thinks there's a gene for black people being loud in movie theaters, they're crazy. That doesn't mean there's no truth to it. And it doesn't mean it's prejudiced to say so.

Culture is what we're talking about, and culture is always ripe for criticism and usually deserves plenty of it. You can like or not like things typical of certain cultures, and have every right to. It's not like you can avoid it anyway, since everyone's got their own opinions and preferences. And you can do that while being or not being a racist. It's sloppy thinking to get these things confused with each other.

It's always a good way to feel enlightened about yourself while needling someone you don't like or want to show up publicly, of course.

We always need another excuse to do that to each other.

jakethebake
05-20-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant!

edit: I like your avatar istewart. Now whenever I read one of your posts I hear Sean Connery saying it.

-Skeme-
05-20-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No they're not.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not genetically inclined to be extremely loud, but in my experiences, they're much louder than anybody else.

SCfuji
05-20-2005, 10:50 AM
buy some earplugs racist.

tek
05-20-2005, 11:47 AM
That is so stupid (unless you are joking). Why should a small group of people talking loud ruin it for the majority in a restaurant or movie theater? Just because someone is a minority doesn't mean they can do what they want.

tek
05-20-2005, 11:50 AM
There are exceptions, but generalizing about groups is usually valid.

For example, a couple years ago I was at a theater where a couple of black people were talking loud. A black guy stood up and said STFU to the loud black people.

hoopsie44
05-20-2005, 01:18 PM
You're a jackass.