PDA

View Full Version : WSSSSSSOPPPPPPPPP!!! from NO.

CardSharpCook
05-19-2005, 03:44 AM
Well, today I played in the first of five prelim WSOP circuit events. A $200 buy in tourney with 833 entrants. It was an awesome experience.

From the moment I sat down in the BB, every thing was coming up Cook. The first hand of the tourney, with 25/25 blinds, the "SB" folded (even though a check would have worked) to me. For the first two hours, I never lost a pot that I seriously played. I was playing just as Cooks do - agro, agro, agro. Players would bet into me, I'd call. They'd check to me, I'd bet.

Hands that bothered me. KTo with 100/200 blinds. I'm about 4K deep, and make it 500 to go from MP3 (includes "they're about to fold" reads). BB calls. OK. Flop come Q98. Checked to me, I bet 500. BB calls. Now this BB has been waiting to playback at me for quite some time now. He knows my style and he wants to punish me (I get used to this sort of thing). Turn comes 3. BB with 2300 chips (now) checks. I push. I know he has me beat, and that my 7 outs may or may not be good. I know that he was waiting to Chk/rz or river bet me with whatever he has, but I go AI. He folds. TG!

AKo. The chick from Tennesse with HUGE knockers and an absolutely delightful personality triples the BB to 900 UTG+1. Sitting in MP3 with AKo and 4000K chips I... call. I think I should have pushed because later reads showed that she probably had a PP 22-77. However, I call and a flop of T88 does nothing for me when she pushes. (first to act).

55. SB 100/200 blinds. Folded to me. I make it 600, call. 800 on a JT3 flop. BB pushes. damn. Muck. 6500 chips down to 4100.

99. SB 100/200. Make it 600 to go. Call. QsJs6 flop. bet 800. Raise to 1600. I go into the tank for a minute and a half (knowing all the while that I'm folding) and fold. The problem is, I know this BB. I mean, I don't know him, but I know him. He is a straight shooter. Both times he had some over cards, both times he caught. What can I do? This hand was the turning point for my tourney. I had been the 2X chip leader (double any other stack at the table) and these two hands lead into that AKo hand and for THE REST OF THE TOURNEY I am a short stack. I can't tell you how much this sucked. CSC was meant to play a big stack. Fortune allowed me to do it for a good portion of this tourney. Sadly, 3 hands reduced me to a bot (make the mathematically correct play every time).

Comical hands. Right before a break, the Short stack sitting on 1500 chips makes it 400 to go. A slightly larger short stack pushes. Boy-o with 1500 says, "ah, you probably have a pocket pair, you take it." and turns over AKo....

Same guy. Folds in MP2. Folded to SB (mid-stack) who goes AI. MP2 says, "I folded pocket jacks. He was itching for some callers." Ok, buddy. Amazingly, this guy went on to cash five hours later. (this required winning as a 30:70 underdog at one point vs. a kid who had embarrassed him by showing his bluff)

Twice, someone folded AK to my bet. Once I had AK as well, the other time I had AA BUT he would have caught trip kings.

3/4 of the way through the tourney this hot chick.... and when I say she was hot, she was SMOKING! sat down. At this point in the tourney I was gaining the rep. of going AI WAY too much. (in reality, I was just following the rules, but this appeared as such at the table). Hot chick... well, I can't say she was checking me out, (she had sunglasses on) but she was definately taking an interest in me. Time went on, she was dying to call one of my AIs. 8 handed I push A5s UTG+1. She folds after some painful deliberation, and the SB is almost a forced AI, completes with his....43o. Girly says, "Now we finally get to see what he's been pushing with!" He pairs, I straight, I win... But then hot chick says, "I just lost SOOO much respect for you!" "What?!?!" "I had ATs. I'm not folding that next time!" "Aw!!! come one!" "I just lost so much respect for you, now we know what you're raising over there." "Well, what did you think I was stealing with?" We all had a good laugh.

I'm an idiot. I decide to blind limp from UTG. Of course, I don't realise this until the NEXT hand starts and they tell me to put in the BB..... But, Girly with the bad feelings for CSC limps behind with A4o and catches....A46 on the flop, and pushes. I fold easily, thinking her a fool for not raising PF... I'm an idiot. Gave up 1000 of my 7000 chips with that move.

AI in the dark with 1700 chips with 300-600 blinds from UTG+3. Some fool does this. Girly is the benefactor of this hand as her A6o beats his....52o.... She had a good time calling him an absolute idiot after he left. We all had a good laugh.

LOL! Moron agro sits at the table. We all know he is a moron agro. Folded to him on the button. He triples the blinds. SS BB calls. Flop is J84. BB checks, moron puts SS AI. BB, who knew (along with the rest of us) what the button would do, calls with.... KK. Moron turns over...T2o. A ten on the turn provides false hope. Next hand moron gives the rest of his stack to me with 88 vs 99.

Internet pros. Two players sit down at the table. They look like brothers. They talk to each other like they've known each other their entire lives. Turns out, they keep getting moved together and they keep sitting right next to each other. Turns out, they BOTH know Gavin. I didn't get involved in that conversation, but that was cool. Both are named Matt, one is from Dallas and goes by the name Juice54 (if I recall correctly) and the other is SamENole. I was so excited to meet Sam. I understand his play so easily now after sitting with him for just a few hours at a live table. I understand HIM so much more. He is a really cool guy. Kind of shy and reserved, a very straight laces poker player. I really liked the kid. He was stilling playing with just a couple chips when I busted out. Very cool though meeting guys my age who have the same success that I do.

So, I'm pushing every time I play from 500 players left down to... my bust out hand at 41. I NEVER get called. I got called with K6s (by 44, AQQ88 board) and with AKs (by 88, 86642 board), and the A5s hand. Hands that floated included, 99,66,QJo,K9o, 77, and more that I can't remember. Absolutely incredible. NEVER had an opportunity to double up. Finally, we are sitting 7 handed with about 45 left in the tourney. I have 6700 chips and the big stack (previously passive, but now understands SH and bubble considerations) bets 3000. I look down at KQo, check the blinds, (500/1500) and remember my rules. "at 4bb or less, you are accepting any reasonable offer of a coinflip." I know I have no FE, of course, but I throw my chips in. The nearly forced AI SB calls. SB has Q9s, big stack has 33. 4 clubs show up to give the 33 a flush. I lose, I go home $240 richer for 11 hours of work.

Awesome tourney. I had a blast. Sat in the same seat for eleven hours. Got to meet SamENole. Had SOOO much fun with Girly AND the other players who kept sitting down. Clonie Gowen (of FTP and Indian Poker (at the WSOP) fame) was at the next table (she finshed well, OTM around 130). My buddy in the BB was a NO native, so was a very friendly guy. 3 of us sat at the same table for 11 hours. I played well. I got beaten by following my rules, not by playing stupidly. I finished in the top 5%. I am happy.

However, I know I could have won it. I mean, I needed luck, but I could have....

Oh god, one more hand. I had about 4200 chips, blinds 75/150, one limper in front of me, one limper (out of turn) behind me, and I toss KJo. I would have flopped the nuts in a 5-handed pot WITH 2 people betting into me. This hand would have changed the entire tournament for me. This and the AKo hand may have done me in. Who knows though, right?

I will get better.

Anyway, I had a blast. God has gifted me with a highly developed sense of empathy. This helps me help countless others, but in poker, it lets me read and understand other players and take their money. I love live tourneys because it is so much easier to use my empathic abilities when I can see and talk to the players I am trying to bust. I miss this.

CSC

Oh, and God bless you, if you actually read this entire thing. It got a little long, and I know I left parts out. I'll bump this in the morning too.

billyjex
05-19-2005, 03:51 AM
The KTo hand, I wouldn't risk that much on a weak semibluff here given your description. Why not just check and take the free card to see if you hit?

AK hand, I push there.

Glad you had a great time, I missed the WSOP circuit when it came to Lake Tahoe because of school (goddamn homework!)

Sounds like it was a little distracting at the tables as well /images/graemlins/smile.gif

CardSharpCook
05-19-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The KTo hand, I wouldn't risk that much on a weak semibluff here given your description. Why not just check and take the free card to see if you hit?

AK hand, I push there.

Glad you had a great time, I missed the WSOP circuit when it came to Lake Tahoe because of school (goddamn homework!)

Sounds like it was a little distracting at the tables as well /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem I had with the AK hand is that the woman who bet into me had been turning over monster hands. Also, the size of her bet seemed to be directly related to how well she liked her hand (AA was worth 3.67BBs, ATs = 2BBs). at the time I put her on TT-QQ and knew she wasn't folding. Later I second-guessed myself as my read developed. I do believe she had a low PP now, but at the time, I was thinking "see if you flop a pair, you are so damn agro AND have pushed her around before, she'll give you her stack with a PP good for second button."

The KTo hand I'm not really proud of. I fell back on a rarely used CSC maxim, "when in doubt, bet." I knew that he had a better hand than mine, but I also knew he wasn't confident in it. If he had called I would have been crippled.

CSC

Rocco
05-19-2005, 04:04 AM
I say thanks for a nice report!

SixgunSam
05-19-2005, 07:11 AM
I really wanted to go to N.O. for that, but I couldn't get off work. Reading that trip report makes me regret not going even more.

CardSharpCook
05-19-2005, 12:09 PM
Bump for the midday crowd. I am alternate number 42 today for the 300+30 tourney. Let's hope it goes nearly so well.

CSC

betgo
05-19-2005, 01:17 PM
I am not sure I like the plays of betting into the JT flop and the QJ suited flop with underpairs. Those flops are likely to have hit your opponent.

I also don't understand where you flat called the raise for 1/4 of your chips with AK, unless you were effected by the hot chick raiser.

ononimo
05-19-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
God has gifted me with a highly developed sense of empathy. This helps me help countless others, but in poker, it lets me read and understand other players and take their money. I love live tourneys because it is so much easier to use my empathic abilities when I can see and talk to the players I am trying to bust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad Star Trek: TNG was cancelled ... would have loved to see you and Counselor Troi go heads-up

ononimo
05-19-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
unless you were effected by the hot chick raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

given the previous pattern of play, this sounds about right.

feelixthegreek
05-19-2005, 04:45 PM
What time did they finally get down to the final table?

nolanfan34
05-19-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
God has gifted me with a highly developed sense of empathy. This helps me help countless others, but in poker, it lets me read and understand other players and take their money. I love live tourneys because it is so much easier to use my empathic abilities when I can see and talk to the players I am trying to bust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad Star Trek: TNG was cancelled ... would have loved to see you and Counselor Troi go heads-up

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that part made my unintentional comedy sensors explode. Awesome.

CondoBrian
05-19-2005, 08:49 PM
I hope you did better than I did. I was in the Manor Room, table 32. Just before the first break, I flopped 2 pair and got all in with a guy that hit his ace on the flop (he called the all in with AJ off). He rivered a third ace to beat my 2 pair. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

woodguy
05-19-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

Regards,
Woodguy

feelixthegreek
05-19-2005, 11:39 PM
I went out early in the Manor Room, too. I got sat between a guy in a large sombrero and a dude who was channeling Eddie form Tilt. I take it as a small victory they both got knocked out before I did.

CardSharpCook
05-20-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive me, it is not appropriate to talk about one's strengths, is it? But it could be. If you could accept me as a peer, equal, and a friend, than honest and sometimes positive self-appraisal is ok. But as long as we are competing with each other, this is not possible.

CSC

CardSharpCook
05-20-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure I like the plays of betting into the JT flop and the QJ suited flop with underpairs. Those flops are likely to have hit your opponent.

I also don't understand where you flat called the raise for 1/4 of your chips with AK, unless you were effected by the hot chick raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betgo, you are correct on the QJ/JT hands. Thank you for fixing this hole in my game. It never even occured to me that I should check. Thanks.

The chick with me in the AKo hand was not Girly. This chick did happen to have very large breasts and a body, while overwieght, not unpleasantly so. I found her quite fetching. However, fear of this seldom raiser's holdings and a perceived betting tell led me to my line. It may have been W/T, but I felt that she was going to call my AIOTT with 99-QQ. I felt that playing this way, acting second would give me a great opportunity. However, fear was a large factor. Point to Fear, not Attraction to explain my W/T play. (though she was attractive).

Happiness. Girly made it to the final table (though finished 7th /images/graemlins/frown.gif )

CSC

nolanfan34
05-20-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive me, it is not appropriate to talk about one's strengths, is it? But it could be. If you could accept me as a peer, equal, and a friend, than honest and sometimes positive self-appraisal is ok. But as long as we are competing with each other, this is not possible.

CSC

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on man, just say you like playing live because you are good at reading people. "God has gifted me with a highly developed sense of empathy. This helps me help countless others, " is the part that made me chuckle, that's all.

Anyway, I did enjoy the rest of the post, and I could certainly get better if I was as aggressive as you are.

CardSharpCook
05-20-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CSC

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on man, just say you like playing live because you are good at reading people. "God has gifted me with a highly developed sense of empathy. This helps me help countless others, " is the part that made me chuckle, that's all.

Anyway, I did enjoy the rest of the post, and I could certainly get better if I was as aggressive as you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, I'm a clown. I admit it. But it is something that makes me feel good about myself... But you are right, it is a funny thing to say, so imagine me embarrassedly laughing at myself right now.

Quinn71
05-20-2005, 01:34 AM
FYI: For those who want to play in Saturday's $1000 tourney - an announcement was made that registration will start at 1PM on Friday. This will be capped at 600 b/c they will be working on the stage for the ESPN coverage of the main event. However, I doubt they will max out b/c of the relatively high buy-in amount.

An example of how unorganized they are: I was told at 4PM today (the previously announced registration start time) that Friday's $500 was already maxed out as people waited on line for hours to get numbers that were handed out three hours early at 1PM. However, when I went to the theatre (tourney central) to play in a SNG at 9PM tonight the employee at the desk asked if I wanted to register for the Friday $500 - I rushed over and bought the necessary "tournament chips" that are needed to register and luckily got one of the last non-alternate spots.

The side games are very soft but there have been long waits until after midnight for most games. Watitng lists are close to 100 people for the lower limit games in the late afternoon and evening. They are spreading holdem limit(3/6,10/20,20/40) nl(5/5,and higher (15/25 I think)) also plholdem and omaha limit/pl. No omaha8 or stud.
There is usually a mixed holdem/omaha game.

Good luck for those playing this weekend.
If you have any questions I will check thread and try to answer them as I will be here until at least tuesday.

CardSharpCook
05-20-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
FYI: For those who want to play in Saturday's $1000 tourney - an announcement was made that registration will start at 1PM on Friday. This will be capped at 600 b/c they will be working on the stage for the ESPN coverage of the main event. However, I doubt they will max out b/c of the relatively high buy-in amount.

An example of how unorganized they are: I was told at 4PM today (the previously announced registration start time) that Friday's $500 was already maxed out as people waited on line for hours to get numbers that were handed out three hours early at 1PM. However, when I went to the theatre (tourney central) to play in a SNG at 9PM tonight the employee at the desk asked if I wanted to register for the Friday $500 - I rushed over and bought the necessary "tournament chips" that are needed to register and luckily got one of the last non-alternate spots.

The side games are very soft but there have been long waits until after midnight for most games. Watitng lists are close to 100 people for the lower limit games in the late afternoon and evening. They are spreading holdem limit(3/6,10/20,20/40) nl(5/5,and higher (15/25 I think)) also plholdem and omaha limit/pl. No omaha8 or stud.
There is usually a mixed holdem/omaha game.

Good luck for those playing this weekend.
If you have any questions I will check thread and try to answer them as I will be here until at least tuesday.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have been reged since 1/4/05, and this is your first post. NH! welcome to the forum!

betgo
05-20-2005, 10:17 AM
You really have to push with AK in this situation. You can't worry about being called by 99-QQ, only AA or KK. You have position, but AK is a hand you like to push with. Sklansky devotes a large part of the NLHE section of TPFAP to pushing with AK.

I am not sure I like the push with A5 either. It depends on your position and stack, but this hand is easily dominated and you usually don't want to push with it except from the button or SB. I would generally rather push with 22, KTo or 75s.

I do find live tournaments at about this buyin and blind level can get weak/tight and I push a lot too.

CardSharpCook
05-20-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I am not sure I like the push with A5 either. It depends on your position and stack, but this hand is easily dominated and you usually don't want to push with it except from the button or SB. I would generally rather push with 22, KTo or 75s.

I do find live tournaments at about this buyin and blind level can get weak/tight and I push a lot too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not give my stack sized, and I don't remember it, but given my holding, position, and action - I had less than 6BBs. I am a robot on a short stack, and I fold this hand with 6-10BBs (in this pos.), push with less than 6. ZeeJustin did a great work up on the relative value of pushing with A9s vs. pushing with a suited connector against a realistic range of calling hands - he found that you were slightly less of an underdog with A9s. I think it was 32% vs. 30%. It surprised me, as instinct has me trusting 76s much more than A9s. I'm sorry I don't have that link...

CSC

ononimo
05-20-2005, 12:24 PM
CSC - Did Girly have longish dyed blonde hair?

betgo
05-20-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not give my stack sized, and I don't remember it, but given my holding, position, and action - I had less than 6BBs. I am a robot on a short stack, and I fold this hand with 6-10BBs (in this pos.), push with less than 6. ZeeJustin did a great work up on the relative value of pushing with A9s vs. pushing with a suited connector against a realistic range of calling hands - he found that you were slightly less of an underdog with A9s. I think it was 32% vs. 30%. It surprised me, as instinct has me trusting 76s much more than A9s. I'm sorry I don't have that link...

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that about A9s versus a suited connector, but A5o is a much worse hand than A5o.

If you had 5 players to act after you with A5o, 6xBB, and ante, it is probably a push.

CardSharpCook
05-20-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, Girly had brown hair wore sunglasses and a hat at the final table. Deep tan, and of an age in those indistinguishable 20s that some girls pull off so well (could be 21-28). Sunglasses had interlocking CCs on the rims.

betgo - it was sooted. diamonds, I can still remember seeing the cards staring back at me.

BTW, I absolutely butchered a perfectly good hand today to get knocked out in the high 700s. I can't believe how poorly I played it.

CSC

ononimo
05-20-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, Girly had brown hair wore sunglasses and a hat at the final table. Deep tan, and of an age in those indistinguishable 20s that some girls pull off so well (could be 21-28).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the girl I'm thinking about is "big boned" with a big chest and a very cute innocent-looking face and has natural brown hair that she used to dye blonde (but with the roots showing - ugh). Anyway, I saw the name of the 7th place finisher and I'm wondering if it's the same girl ... the girl I know was a math major at Duke and studying law in FL now. Anyways ...

nolanfan34
05-21-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fine, I'm a clown. I admit it. But it is something that makes me feel good about myself... But you are right, it is a funny thing to say, so imagine me embarrassedly laughing at myself right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i was too harsh, I'm sorry. I get what you meant though. You can read people. That certainly is a skill that I am not good at. Bygones, etc, and I wish you the best of luck.