PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Star Wars III thread

durron597
05-19-2005, 03:10 AM
I am an idiot, I should have made the original thread have results viewable. So here goes. And sorry, it's 3 AM here and I'm tired.

TStokes
05-19-2005, 03:15 AM
Just got back I liked it more than episode 1 and 2 but not sure where I rank it among the original three it was good though I gave it an 8

kenberman
05-19-2005, 03:16 AM
I agree with most of the critics. far far better than episodes I&II, maybe as good as ROTJ.

LondonBroil
05-19-2005, 03:22 AM
Just got back after waiting 10 minutes in the parking lot just to get out. It was definitely much, much better than the last two.

daryn
05-19-2005, 03:36 AM
not bad. i liked it. then again i liked the other 2. just take them for what they are, and you will enjoy them. if you're looking for deep meaningful dialogue, look somewhere else.

mmbt0ne
05-19-2005, 03:51 AM
I was surprised at how good it was. I really hated Anakin by the end, and Palpatine progressed nicely. That final comment from Yoda to Obi Won about Qui Gon I could've gone without though. It took me a second to realize what they were refering to, and to be honest, it was never something I questioned, so I had no problem with it not being explained.

tinga81
05-19-2005, 03:54 AM
i had chills when Vader first came up in the full suit.

i think they did a great job of wrapping up some of the loose ends.

well worth it to hit up that midnight showing!

MLG
05-19-2005, 03:58 AM
unsurprisingly, I completely agree with you.

Senor Choppy
05-19-2005, 04:34 AM
If you're looking for eye candy, it's pretty good. If you're looking for something with any kind of soul or humanity like the original movies, you'll be disappointed.

Shoe
05-19-2005, 05:21 AM
I thought it was awesome! Definitely better than I & II (although I liked both of those as well). I want to watch IV again now.

Couple questions.

1. What was Padme trying to say to obi-wan right before she died? I had trouble hearing but I think she said "There is still....." and then she dies... I think she was trying to tell ben that there is still hope to bring anakin back to the good side... but maybe I misread that.

2. Does obi-wan think anakin is dead?

3. Yoda is a pimp.

tinga81
05-19-2005, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. What was Padme trying to say to obi-wan right before she died? I had trouble hearing but I think she said "There is still....." and then she dies... I think she was trying to tell ben that there is still hope to bring anakin back to the good side... but maybe I misread that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its somewhere along the lines as the same thing Luke says about him in the last fight scene in ROTJ. "I think there is still good in you father." So your thoughts may not be entirely off.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd think so. I don't know why he wouldn't finish off the job though (just to be sure).

[ QUOTE ]
3. Yoda is a pimp.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed.

Lawrence Ng
05-19-2005, 05:50 AM
Just got back from a packed theatre here. Man was it hot in there.

Anakin burning up was the highlight for me.

Lawrence

SCfuji
05-19-2005, 06:20 AM
no offense but R2-D2 is the coolest

FMMonty
05-19-2005, 06:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they use James Earl Jones for Vaders voice????

Duke
05-19-2005, 06:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they use James Earl Jones for Vaders voice????

[/ QUOTE ]

No way man, they went to K-mart and got a vader voice changer. It's actually Lucas' daughter doing the lines... that was his original vision.

I saw it. The love dialogue is bad again, some of the acting is piss poor, but overall I loved it. Hell, I loved #2 as well despite some of the same flaws. And I don't hate Hayden as an actor in either. Other people screw up key scenes.

~D

DVaut1
05-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Saw a midnight showing...just woke up (and I feel better prepared to comment after getting some sleep); looking back on it, this:

[ QUOTE ]
Anakin burning up was the highlight for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

was far and away the best scene in the prequel series, IMO.

durron597
05-19-2005, 09:01 AM
It was so bad in so many ways. Here are the top ten reasons: (Some spoiler alert)

1) Hayden Christiansen can't act
2) Natalie Portman didn't act this time
3) The fight choreography sucked.
3a) There was sooooooooooooo much "zoom in on one guy then the other guy" that you couldn't really see the fight.
3b) The chancellor was especially terrible in this regard
4) There is no chemistry at all between Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman
5) Terrible one liners
5a) "I have the high ground you cannot win."
5b) "Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!" (Think "Khannnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!")
5c) Others that I'm forgetting
6) I'm sorry, R2-D2 is just not that badass
7) Jedi Masters are so much more badass than this movie takes advantage of
7a) There is no reason that Obi-Wan should have had *any* trouble killing General Grievous
7b) The Jedi should have realized something was wrong as soon as the stormtroopers were given their orders - you can't take a Jedi by surprise - they have Spidey sense /images/graemlins/smile.gif
7c) Obi-wan should have been able to fling the droids attacking his ship with his mind, not rely on Anakin to shoot them down
8) Obi-wan would not have left Anakin there for dead
9) After Anakin gets his Vader suit, he really never shows the power and dignity of the position - he still seems like some noob child
10) No one ever said "Oh....... restore balance to the force....... that's what they meant by that........"

kenberman
05-19-2005, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That final comment from Yoda to Obi Won about Qui Gon I could've gone without though. It took me a second to realize what they were refering to, and to be honest, it was never something I questioned, so I had no problem with it not being explained.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't understand that part?

kenberman
05-19-2005, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
9) After Anakin gets his Vader suit, he really never shows the power and dignity of the position - he still seems like some noob child

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. even after he Darth puts on the suit, he still seems different than the original trilogy Darth.
[ QUOTE ]

10) No one ever said "Oh....... restore balance to the force....... that's what they meant by that........

[/ QUOTE ]

they did mention this twice. Obi-Won I think mentions it both times. the prophecy was that The Chosen One would bring balance to the force by destroying the Sith.

durron597
05-19-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

10) No one ever said "Oh....... restore balance to the force....... that's what they meant by that........

[/ QUOTE ]

they did mention this twice. Obi-Won I think mentions it both times. the prophecy was that The Chosen One would bring balance to the force by destroying the Sith.

[/ QUOTE ]

They mention the prophecy, yes, but what they don't realize is that the Jedi were in control (there were thousands of them), and only one or two Sith lords. So by "restoring balance to the force" that would result in the fall of the Jedi order. But no one in the movie realizes this.

kenberman
05-19-2005, 09:25 AM
clearly, "balance" doesn't mean "an equal amount of sith/jedi", or "an equal amount of power on each side". it means that there will be peace.

I think the movie explained all of this very clearly.

durron597
05-19-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
clearly, "balance" doesn't mean "an equal amount of sith/jedi", or "an equal amount of power on each side". it means that there will be peace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if this is true...

[ QUOTE ]

I think the movie explained all of this very clearly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This definitely isn't.

RogerZBT
05-19-2005, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. even after he Darth puts on the suit, he still seems different than the original trilogy Darth.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, this was done on purpose. Lucas made this suit heavier to make Christensen's movements clunkier. He didn't want him to look as polished as the original.

MrWookie47
05-19-2005, 10:13 AM
I actually appreciated that comment. I thought the glowing blue ghost jedi were a little odd, and I liked the explanation.

Rotating Rabbit
05-19-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

1) Hayden Christiansen can't act
2) Natalie Portman didn't act this time
4) There is no chemistry at all between Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont blame them, this is because their lines sucked. Its almost impossible to act them well.

[ QUOTE ]

7b) The Jedi should have realized something was wrong as soon as the stormtroopers were given their orders - you can't take a Jedi by surprise - they have Spidey sense /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dark force was everywhere at this point, clouding everything. (Remember they couldnt even see palpatine as a sith, in front of their face, for years).

Sephus
05-19-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They mention the prophecy, yes, but what they don't realize is that the Jedi were in control (there were thousands of them), and only one or two Sith lords. So by "restoring balance to the force" that would result in the fall of the Jedi order. But no one in the movie realizes this.

[/ QUOTE ]\

uhh, am i alone in assuming that the profecy refers to vader destroying the sith in rotj?

how about this one? they send TWO soldiers to kill yoda?

parappa
05-19-2005, 11:31 AM
I gave it an 8 as well, meaning "100 minutes were excellent and 40 minutes were rubbish." I was really taken in by the whole thing in general, and it was successful for me. Most of it was pretty good.

1) Ewen McGregor is as good in this film as Alec Guinness was in the first one, imo.

2) I know Natalie Portman is a good actress, but she was horrible here. Some of the dialogue was unbelievably, eye-rollingly bad.

3) The big scene where Anakin kills Samuel Jackson and changes into a bad guy was glossed, imo. The whole time before this, he's ambivalent, he's not sure. He only hits Sam J. because he doesn't want him to kill the Emperor, but then, 2 seconds later, he's completely sure and totally committed to being a bad guy. I didn't like this. He should be even more tormented than he was a minute ago.

4) Showing Anakin's face "half in light and half in shadow" would've been effective, once. The fortieth time, it was really irritating, especially in the ending fight when he's already committed to being a bad guy and the metaphor simply doesn't work any more. Needless to say, love dialogue scenes where half his face is lit make up most of the bad 40 minutes.

5) In spite of all this, I really liked it, and it really worked for me. I don't know that I could've been satisfied by the completion of a story the end of which I'd heard nearly 30 (!) years before, but with the exception of Anakin/Darth not being quite troubled enough when he switched sides, it really did work for me. I couldn't wait for Luke to grow up and storm the death star, etc.

6) I'm also glad that there was no character called "Product Tie-In Guy" whose only role was to advertise. Unless there was and I missed him. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

7) Yoda was the best. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Boron
05-19-2005, 11:43 AM
I am glad Darth Vader/ Anakin did not have a lot of lines in the suit. Hearing James Earl Jones whine was almost heartbreaking.

kenberman
05-19-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
uhh, am i alone in assuming that the profecy refers to vader destroying the sith in rotj?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's quite clear to me. dunno why people have a hard time with this.

durron597
05-19-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ha. So he destroys all the good Jedi in ep 3 and all the evil Jedi in ep 6, leaving a half-trained Jedi knight left. That's about as balanced as you can get.

mmbt0ne
05-19-2005, 01:20 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
That final comment from Yoda to Obi Won about Qui Gon I could've gone without though. It took me a second to realize what they were refering to, and to be honest, it was never something I questioned, so I had no problem with it not being explained.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't understand that part?

[/ QUOTE ]

You know when Luke's doing his thing in the later movies and dead Obi Won is talking to him? That's the only possible thing they could be explaining, how Jedi can talk to dead Jedi. But I really don't think that was neccesary to explain.

pshreck
05-19-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not alone, I think lots of fans know this. Since Luke is not a Jedi yet in ROTJ, the 'Return of the Jedi' is clearly referring to Anakin, but then again most people didn't get that either.

For another question... I was in a packed theater last night... and the scene where Yoda walked into the Emperors chambers, and quickly dispatched of his guards using the force, the WHOLE THEATER erupted in laughter, then applause. This happen anywhere else?

Yobz
05-19-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not alone, I think lots of fans know this. Since Luke is not a Jedi yet in ROTJ, the 'Return of the Jedi' is clearly referring to Anakin, but then again most people didn't get that either.

For another question... I was in a packed theater last night... and the scene where Yoda walked into the Emperors chambers, and quickly dispatched of his guards using the force, the WHOLE THEATER erupted in laughter, then applause. This happen anywhere else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep

durron597
05-19-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

jedi
05-19-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That, plus R2-D2 kicking ass everywhere he went.

mmbt0ne
05-19-2005, 01:49 PM
There was definitely way too much applauding whenever Yoda did something. He's a Jedi, he's supposed to kick ass.

Duke
05-19-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That, plus R2-D2 kicking ass everywhere he went.

[/ QUOTE ]

When they said to wipe C3P0's memory, they forgot to say: "And cripple the R2 unit, since presently he's the most powerful thing in the galaxy."

~D

pshreck
05-19-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

When they said to wipe C3P0's memory, they forgot to say: "And cripple the R2 unit, since presently he's the most powerful thing in the galaxy."

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats annoying is that there were about 100x in the original 3 episodes that he could have used his fighting abilities, or ability to fly. Yet more evidence that Lucas made up the movies as he went along.

Duke
05-19-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats annoying is that there were about 100x in the original 3 episodes that he could have used his fighting abilities, or ability to fly. Yet more evidence that Lucas made up the movies as he went along.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's tough because the obvious preferred viewing method is 4,5,6,1,2,3, or 4,5,6,2,3 (1 didn't need to be made).

Given that, it's almost forgivable that Lucas made a key character that everyone loved stronger than they were at first.

~D

Mangatang
05-19-2005, 02:20 PM
I also gave it an 8. I really liked it (much better than I and II), but it left me with a weird feeling. I guess this is expected knowing that it could not end with a happy ending.

Two parts of the movie that immediately set wrong with me were:

1. Anakin committed too quickly (in the scene with the Emperor) to the dark side. They should have shown him struggling more with this decision.

2. Darth Vader's "Nooooooooooooooooo" at the end was cheesy. It would have been better for him to just fall to his knees in silence.

I do like the fact that Obi Wan went to Tatoine to "watch" after Luke. It never dawned on me before that this was the reason old Ben was out in the desert by himself all this time.

I believe balance has been restored with this movie.

jedi
05-19-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yet more evidence that Lucas made up the movies as he went along.

[/ QUOTE ]

The general storyline was created from the beginning. Obviously he made up the movies as he went along.

Delphin
05-19-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um no. The Jedi in "Return of the Jedi" is the Jedi order, and if you want to reduce it to one person, it would have to be Luke. The Sith believe that they have wiped out all the Jedi in the galaxy. What they don't realize is that Yoda is still in hiding and secretly training Luke. Yoda tells Luke that he will not be a Jedi Master until he faces Vader. When Yoda dies, there are no Jedi left in the galaxy.

By the end of the film, Luke confronts his father, resists the dark side, and becomes a Jedi Master in a conflict that results in the two most powerful Sith lords being destroyed. His completion of his training and defeat of the Sith salvages the near destruction of the Jedi order.

Vader was never a Jedi Master before he became a Sith Lord. Killing the Emperor was certainly a good deed and a redeeming act, but I think you would have a hard time convincing anyone that it makes him a Jedi Master.

The Return of the Jedi in my mind refers to the miraculous return of the Jedi order after they were nearly extinguished. You'll have to say a lot more than "most people didn't get that" to convince me otherwise.

Boris
05-19-2005, 02:21 PM
You are too young to understand Star Wars. No one from my generation went to the most recent movies looking for deep meaningful dialogue. We just wanted movies that were as awesome as Star Wars, Empire Strike Back and Return of the Jedi.

pshreck
05-19-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yet more evidence that Lucas made up the movies as he went along.

[/ QUOTE ]

The general storyline was created from the beginning. Obviously he made up the movies as he went along.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with a VERY general storyline being created, meaning Anakin Skywalker was good then turned bad. Everything else was filled in in the 90's.

Duke
05-19-2005, 02:24 PM
This movie put a whole new spin on the lines that Leia delivers in ROTJ. The woman she thinks was her mother wasn't.

~D

pshreck
05-19-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This movie put a whole new spin on the lines that Leia delivers in ROTJ. The woman she thinks was her mother wasn't.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, no. Its a plothole. When George Lucas made Ep 3 he obviously thought Amidala dying was intricate to the plot (and I thought it was a good choice), and he knew he could probably get away with the fact that it is implied that Luke and Leia's birth mother did not die during birth.

Duke
05-19-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um no. The Jedi in "Return of the Jedi" is the Jedi order, and if you want to reduce it to one person, it would have to be Luke. The Sith believe that they have wiped out all the Jedi in the galaxy. What they don't realize is that Yoda is still in hiding and secretly training Luke. Yoda tells Luke that he will not be a Jedi Master until he faces Vader. When Yoda dies, there are no Jedi left in the galaxy.

By the end of the film, Luke confronts his father, resists the dark side, and becomes a Jedi Master in a conflict that results in the two most powerful Sith lords being destroyed. His completion of his training and defeat of the Sith salvages the near destruction of the Jedi order.

Vader was never a Jedi Master before he became a Sith Lord. Killing the Emperor was certainly a good deed and a redeeming act, but I think you would have a hard time convincing anyone that it makes him a Jedi Master.

The Return of the Jedi in my mind refers to the miraculous return of the Jedi order after they were nearly extinguished. You'll have to say a lot more than "most people didn't get that" to convince me otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, at this juncture (barring other Star-Wars universe information) we're apparently supposed to think that Return of the Jedi refers mainly to Luke.

I think we're also supposed to see Luke himself as the balance of the force, seeing as he combines the powers the normal Jedi had with the dark side emotional superpowers - but without giving in. The earlier balance with Yoda+Obi Wan/Sidious+Vader isn't as meaningful. It's an imbalance because they're not equally matched - the dark side is stronger.

In some ways, Vader is more of a good guy than Luke could ever be.

~D

faith
05-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Went early afternoon on the 18th (late night 17th/early morning 18th in the states) to a center seat with a theatre having only 20 people in it. Some days, it's great living in Bangkok!
Loved it! No way possible for anyone that has been waiting for this film for the past 20 years to be satisfied. But it was real close.
Everything was just on such a massive scale:
The traditional Starwars limbloss- 5 arms and 2 legs was it?
Dropping the lightsabers
Leading lady not carrying tyhe dialog (it's in leah's gene's- that's just the way their family talks Natalie really captured the essense necessary to hold that tradition)
Huge battles everywhere- guess these moveies really should be called "Starwars"

Mostly I loved the transition in the overall feeling in the movie from light to dark/industrial. Many people complained that the first two didn't have that dark feel of Hope &amp; Empire- but of course they didn't- they started out light and gradually shifted through the second and then massively in the third. Sure the first was a bit too light/ with cheesy comedic aspecs, but change a couple alien races and the droid army and you're left with a film that introduces the SW universe quite well.
Just as many didn't like the lighter feel Jedi had when it came out. But the SW world was again shifting, whether it was intended or not, It's great that the overall feel to the movies changes along with that.

I gave it an 8... I don't think a 10 was possible with less than 3 hours- aniken needed a more gradual transition
faith

Duke
05-19-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, no. Its a plothole. When George Lucas made Ep 3 he obviously thought Amidala dying was intricate to the plot (and I thought it was a good choice), and he knew he could probably get away with the fact that it is implied that Luke and Leia's birth mother did not die during birth.

[/ QUOTE ]

So he left the hole in for a few minutes of letting the fans wonder if Vader somehow gets the "special no-death power" and then later turns against her? I prefer to take it as making the movie just a little more sad.

A whole character forgotten is depressing.

I choose to be sad about that instead of about the knowledge that he could have gotten better dialogue if he outsourced the scripting to India.

~D

faith
05-19-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

take it back!

R2D2's always been the most powerfull character on the show... good guys would have died every episode without r2. Of course he could womp on the two droids- he just pops out of the ships with a bit too much ease for my liking.

jedi
05-19-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Leia knows she was adopted. Remember Luke asking her what she remembered of her mother, "her real mother." Leia remembered images and stuff. Of course, I'm not sure how she remembers that, since she was basically taken away at less than a day old.

Yobz
05-19-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he could have gotten better dialogue if he outsourced the scripting to India.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it

Yobz
05-19-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Leia knows she was adopted. Remember Luke asking her what she remembered of her mother, "her real mother." Leia remembered images and stuff. Of course, I'm not sure how she remembers that, since she was basically taken away at less than a day old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leia is ani's daughter, shes got super jedi powers too!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

pshreck
05-19-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course, I'm not sure how she remembers that, since she was basically taken away at less than a day old.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is, this is said because Lucas never wrote that their mother died during childbirth, it was written years later.

And this isn't me bashing Lucas, because the plothole is pretty light and doesnt matter, plus having Amidala die BECAUSE Anakin becomes Vader is really clever storytelling. I am just pointing out that the fact that Leia implies that she atleast knew her mother a little (when we now know she couldnt have) is evidence that even major story plot points (such as time and circumstances of Amidalas death) were never thought up until the 1990's and now.

tpir90036
05-19-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Leia is ani's daughter, shes got super jedi powers too!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I find it hard to believe that Lucas even thought of the "they are twins" part until he made ROTJ. It needed a family-oriented twist to go along with the father part in ESB.

jedi
05-19-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find it hard to believe that Lucas even thought of the "they are twins" part until he made ROTJ. It needed a family-oriented twist to go along with the father part in ESB.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you watch ESB, it's easy to believe.

tpir90036
05-19-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you watch ESB, it's easy to believe.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, so maybe he started to come up with it during Ep. 5. But didn't Luke want to get into Leia's pants in Ep. 4?

Anyway, I clearly do not have the wealth of Star Wars knowledge required to talk about this. My point is that he should have handed his "vision" over to someone else back in the day because it seems to get a bit muddled in his attempts to link all of the characters.

TStoneMBD
05-19-2005, 03:54 PM
well there are already so many replies that i doubt anyone will read this.

but, i just saw it, heres my take:

score: 8

great movie. when i was watching for the first hour or so i thought i was going to rate it a ten. then there were some slow parts with more boring dialogue than action and it fell to a 9.

then, it fell to an 8 once anakin so awkwardly fell to the darkside, which didnt translate well for me. i think lucas was overly pushing the whole save padmay plot. he also pushed through the transition too fast. the whole time anakin was comtemplating going to the darkside to save padmay, i kept thinking, "arent there abortions???"

it didnt make sense to me that samuel l jackson was about to kill citius, but that citius was kicking the [censored] out of yoda. unless citius magically grew in power in short time, which makes no sense, it makes no sense. either way, it makes no sense to me at least.

i didnt like the obiwan fight too much with anakin/vader. for one, obiwan was not strong enough to kill duku, either time that he fought him, yet he can stand his ground to anakin. he didnt even last 2 seconds in either duku battle. however, i did think that the final scene where he cuts anakins legs off was very good. it was a good ending to the fight, showing that even though anakin is more powerful, he collapses to his own arrogance. however, again, the fight scene lasted too long for reality, even though it was entertaining despite being overly hollywood, of course.

im pumped and cant wait to see episodes 4 5 and 6 for the very first time.

durron597
05-19-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it didnt make sense to me that samuel l jackson was about to kill Sidious, but that Sidious was kicking the [censored] out of yoda.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

And to reply, Sidious intentionally lost that fight in order to turn Anakin to the dark side, the same way that Vader intentionally loses the fight to Luke at the end of RotJ - because he knew that Windu wouldn't kill him if he could help it.

daryn
05-19-2005, 04:21 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
You are too young to understand Star Wars. No one from my generation went to the most recent movies looking for deep meaningful dialogue. We just wanted movies that were as awesome as Star Wars, Empire Strike Back and Return of the Jedi.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh.. i think you .. agree with me?

TStoneMBD
05-19-2005, 04:21 PM
ahhhh, i did not get that. thanks for clarifying that for me.

Boris
05-19-2005, 04:37 PM
I don't agree with you. I thought the piece of crap with Jojo binks sucked so badly I didn't even bother to see the second one. I'm waiting for Dynasty's review of SWIII before I decide whether or not to see it.

theBruiser500
05-19-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not bad. i liked it. then again i liked the other 2. just take them for what they are, and you will enjoy them. if you're looking for deep meaningful dialogue, look somewhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just take them for what they... and what exactly are they? To me they are [censored].

daryn
05-19-2005, 04:43 PM
I don't agree with you. I thought the piece of crap with Jojo binks sucked so badly I didn't even bother to see the second one. I'm waiting for Dynasty's review of SWIII before I decide whether or not to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh alright so you are a mega-nerd,.. ty for clarification.

theBruiser500
05-19-2005, 04:47 PM
I can't believe what I'm seeing here. I was kind of surprised though in a way not surprised when in the theatre after the moving people are saying "that was a very good movie," but now you 2+2'ers are saying it too. That movie was such absolute trash. I don't get it, this is Star Wars, why can't they have a decent actor for anakin skywalker? Whoever played anakin skywalker is probably the worst actor in the histoyr of the universe.

The dialogue was so corny I wanted to barph, how about, "you are so beautiful", "that's because i love" "no! that's because i love you so much!". Gross.

kenberman
05-19-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sidious intentionally lost that fight in order to turn Anakin to the dark side

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a very arguable point - whether or not Sidious intentionally lost or not. In SW literature, Windu was considered as skilled with a lightsaber as Yoda, and Yoda/Emperor was pretty even.

[ QUOTE ]
Vader intentionally loses the fight to Luke at the end of RotJ

[/ QUOTE ]
huh /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Frills
05-19-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe what I'm seeing here. I was kind of surprised though in a way not surprised when in the theatre after the moving people are saying "that was a very good movie," but now you 2+2'ers are saying it too. That movie was such absolute trash. I don't get it, this is Star Wars, why can't they have a decent actor for anakin skywalker? Whoever played anakin skywalker is probably the worst actor in the histoyr of the universe.

The dialogue was so corny I wanted to barph, how about, "you are so beautiful", "that's because i love" "no! that's because i love you so much!". Gross.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure at 18 years old your conversations were much more advanced

daryn
05-19-2005, 04:49 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, seriously

kenberman
05-19-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
then, it fell to an 8 once anakin so awkwardly fell to the darkside, which didnt translate well for me. i think lucas was overly pushing the whole save padmay plot. he also pushed through the transition too fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

this, along with the awkward anakin/padme scenes, are the 2 reasons the movie doesn't get a 10. the downfall of Anakin was too quick, and not very believable.

Duke
05-19-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure at 18 years old your conversations were much more advanced

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what to say.

~D

Boris
05-19-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm not a mega nerd, but Dynasty is. That's why I trust his judgement on this issue.

tinga81
05-19-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't like Star Wars.
You think Sklansky can't write.

Is there something that you like that we can all bash?

durron597
05-19-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, seriously

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember he's like "strike me down, and you will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" or something. I haven't seen the movie in awhile.

daryn
05-19-2005, 06:29 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, seriously

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember he's like "strike me down, and you will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" or something. I haven't seen the movie in awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, and here you are trying to comment like a guy who knows what he's talking about.

Dynasty
05-19-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a mega nerd, but Dynasty is. That's why I trust his judgement on this issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the best of the prequel films. I gave it a generous 8 in the poll.

Go buy your ticket.

Non_Comformist
05-19-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here as well

Chris Daddy Cool
05-19-2005, 06:37 PM
i'm new to this thread, but i saw the midnight showing of it and i was mightily impressed with how lucas was able to pack so much into one movie and i wasn't sure if he'd be able to be convincing in showing annikin turning, but that was well done too. i think a reason why people didn't really like the first 2 movies was becaue they didn't feel they did much for the story of star wars; they couldnt' really relate the two just yet. episode 3 was basically what everybody was hoping for, showing the beginnings of darth vader.

i gave this movie a solid 9 in the poll.

Non_Comformist
05-19-2005, 06:49 PM
I gave it a solid 8. I also liked the first two though.

Seeing the Clone Wars cartoons helps with understanding the characters. Grievious is a badass in the series which helps with episode 3.

Was it just me or did Natalie Portman look hideous in her first face shot. Quite disturbing. I also thought she did a horrible job though out the film.

mizaun
05-19-2005, 07:09 PM
I just saw this movie, i'm tried to give it the benefit of the doubt but it sucked. Badly... Portman can act in other movies, apparently not in this one, Hayden does a terrible job. I just hated how they just expect you know alot of stuff that you shouldn't like where the [censored] does the general come from and why is he coughing? Does he have some sort of parasite? He seems like a major character being the leader of the droid army and all but he just appears out of nowhere to me. Maybe that's a problem from the 2nd movie but it didn't sit well with me. The Count guy dies too fast, all the Jedi Masters go out like bitches I mean really; five 20 second cuts to each of them getting owned. I think they could of made the Jedi Temple battle a bigger thing in the movie and not just a cut to him walking up and then a cut to him about to kill some kids.

Aside from all that randomness, i really hated how they try to make you feel sorry for Darth Vader. He's supposed to be evil, your supposed to hate him, your not supposed to feel bad he's throws his life away for power. It seemed like they were trying to make the Jedis look bad so Anakin didn't look as evil and its just not needed. It seemed to me the movie needed to be alot longer given all the content.

I also thought the script sucked. The scenes with Vader in the armor are retarded at the end. Should he shout its alive? The shout of "NOOOOOO!" was just too much for me.

I gave it a 3, maybe i'm being a bit harsh since i did like the Yoda/r2d2 scenes but more than half the scenes were just horrendous.

(forgive the grammar)

durron597
05-19-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, seriously

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, and here you are trying to comment like a guy who knows what he's talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I remembered Vader telling Luke to strike him down, but I don't remember every little detail. I thought I remembered it pretty well until two people were like "huh?"

tinga81
05-19-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just hated how they just expect you know alot of stuff that you shouldn't like where the [censored] does the general come from and why is he coughing? Does he have some sort of parasite? He seems like a major character being the leader of the droid army and all but he just appears out of nowhere to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

could someone tell me why he was coughing? .. i too thought he appeared out of nowhere. I didn't even know his character until his name was mentioned.

Chris Daddy Cool
05-19-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aside from all that randomness, i really hated how they try to make you feel sorry for Darth Vader. He's supposed to be evil, your supposed to hate him, your not supposed to feel bad he's throws his life away for power. It seemed like they were trying to make the Jedis look bad so Anakin didn't look as evil and its just not needed. It seemed to me the movie needed to be alot longer given all the content.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh i dont' know if i'd say i felt sorry for vader or anything, but if that was indeed the intention of lucas, it has more to do with seeing the justifications annikin used to turn, because "there is still some good in him" remember?

The Legend
05-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Mace Windu is considered the greatest lightsaber fighter ever according to the books or what not. So I think he whooped a legitmate can of ass on palpatine. And I believe that the reason anakin turned so quick is once the dark side takes over, your done, it just bam hits you. Thats the way I fit it in.

pshreck
05-19-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mace Windu is considered the greatest lightsaber fighter ever according to the books or what not.

[/ QUOTE ]

What, when, where? I think most of the false Mace Windu stuff comes from Sammy J. interviews. IMDB.com trivia says that he insisted on a meaningful death scene (elsewhere I read that he refused to be filmed losing a lightsaber fight), so he gets killed by the two sith lords who didnt beat him really but tricked him. I think it is implied that the best fighter is Yoda, or possibly Anakin, but not Mace.

TStoneMBD
05-19-2005, 07:57 PM
oh btw, that yoda scene where he walked into the sidius's room and dropped the 2 guards with a sonic woop, was awesome.

Chris Daddy Cool
05-19-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just hated how they just expect you know alot of stuff that you shouldn't like where the [censored] does the general come from and why is he coughing? Does he have some sort of parasite? He seems like a major character being the leader of the droid army and all but he just appears out of nowhere to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

could someone tell me why he was coughing? .. i too thought he appeared out of nowhere. I didn't even know his character until his name was mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

there was a cartoon mini-series called "The Clone Wars" which give background to general grevious and that scar annikin has on his eye and the entire clone wars. i didn't see them myself but i heard they were really good. not sure where you can see them now though.

A_C_Slater
05-19-2005, 08:03 PM
I give it an 8. And yes, the scene where Yoda dispatched the two guards with the force got cheers (though not from me, but I thought it was cool.... in a nerd kind of way.)

The performance of the guy who plays the emperor saves the movie. The worst scene in the movie was the one Brusier mentioned when Anakin and Padme were having their "No, I love you more" contest. Definitely insipid and banal to the extreme, dude.

I don't think it manages to ruin all the bad ass fight scenes, however. You take away that scene and Vader screaming "Noooooooooo" at the end and then retweak some of the bad dialogue and I give it a 9.

It would have been best if Vader just let out a really pist off sounding exhalation instead of the "Noooooooo."

Also, Vader slowly buring alive and reaching up at Obi-Won was friggin awesome. What does he say to him though? I think it was "I had you." He said it in such a bad ass guttural tone, very Vaderish.

pshreck
05-19-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I had you."

[/ QUOTE ]

It was "I hate you.", which makes more sense too.

TStokes
05-19-2005, 08:56 PM
I dont know the exact details behind the general but I know the basics. He was originally human and a great general. He was pretty much killed in battle and they saved his eyes, heart, and brain and just built those into the machine.

Duke
05-19-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it manages to ruin all the bad ass fight scenes, however. You take away that scene and Vader screaming "Noooooooooo" at the end and then retweak some of the bad dialogue and I give it a 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were allowed to fix the bad scenes but save the general premise and even a lot of the specifics, this one as well as Episode 2 could be 10s.

Even fixing Episode 1 could only merit a 7 tops.

~D

Yobz
05-19-2005, 10:05 PM
I just realized why he went to the dark side so quickly...think back to the older movies, he 'suddenly' went to the light side, why would it be any slower the other way?

A_C_Slater
05-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Also, an important theme of the movie that seems to be ignored is that there is a very thin line between the two sides anyway.

That is why it's best to follow the "middle path."

Taoism

Ying/Yang dualism

Yup.

KDawgCometh
05-19-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you should definetly go out and buy the Clone Wars DVD, it'll help you on Gen Grievous. I did hate how they made Master Fisto a chumpstain in the fight with palpatine. Lucas went out of his way to make him one of the phatter Jedi in Clone Wars DVD, and yet he dies in no time against Palpatine. I really liked this movie though. I gavev it an 8. Yes, some of the dialouge was weak, but I wasn't exactly expecting Tarantino-like lines here. I did think tha tDooku's death was weak also. It was just a side note, but it did give a good basis for showing how impressionable Annikan was towards Palpatine

Kevin
05-20-2005, 02:20 AM
It seems that Anakin turned in his mind while he was sitting in the temple. He was looking at Padme's building thinking about her not dying. You see the tear streak down his eye as he realizes what he is deciding.

Notice that Palpatine tells him that he can teach him to prevent people from dying - but after Anakin turns, he says that only one person has ever been able to do that - but together they would figure it out - I wonder if Anakin feels like he was sold a bill of goods - since that is the reason that he turned and now he can't go back.

Palpatine was talking about the apprentice that killed Darth Plegasus or whoever the old guy was - I think he was implying that he was the apprectice and is the one that killed him - anyone else get that idea or is that a stretch?

So Anakin does this, kills all the younglings, and gets fried to a crip (classic, classic scene), yet Padme still dies and Palpatine blames it on him - I am amazed that it took 25 years for him to throw the guy over the edge after the dude let him down on the biggest reason he turned.

I gave it a 9 - only because I wanted it so badly to be a hit. I saw the first Star Wars at 5 and took my 6 year old to it today. I let him watch 1 and 2 last week and when Palp said I dub thee Darth Vader, you should have seen the little guy's eyes. We went home and watched 4 and 5 tonight - 6 is coming tomorrow. The noooo scene was cheezy, but every scene with Palpatine was friggin classic. Yoda continually kicking arse was cool - the two clone troopers that he whooped on chewbacca island and the two dudes he whooped when he walked in to Palp's office.

daryn
05-20-2005, 02:34 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, seriously

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I remembered Vader telling Luke to strike him down, but I don't remember every little detail. I thought I remembered it pretty well until two people were like "huh?"

[/ QUOTE ]

no, the emperor said this to luke.

mmbt0ne
05-20-2005, 02:43 AM
Christ people. Obi-Won says to Vader "You can't win Darth! If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" right before he basically sacrifices himself in episode 4.

mmbt0ne
05-20-2005, 02:44 AM
Palpatine was talking about the apprentice that killed Darth Plegasus or whoever the old guy was - I think he was implying that he was the apprectice and is the one that killed him - anyone else get that idea or is that a stretch?

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely did.

awval999
05-20-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Christ people. Obi-Won says to Vader "You can't win Darth! If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" right before he basically sacrifices himself in episode 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally someone speaks sense.

About the Darth Plageious thing: I agree, we are supposed to see that Palpatine murdered his master.

What did you guys think about the way he talked about the midi-chlorians and making life? Did Palp create Anakin?

daryn
05-20-2005, 02:51 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

no. he is referring to the emperor telling luke to strike him down, and then when luke gives in and goes for it, vader blocks.

he's getting the exact words wrong, but it's clear that's what he's talking about.

private joker
05-20-2005, 03:07 AM
http://www.garden-city.org/information/image/nerds.jpg

http://qpbs.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPBS2-1161563reg.jpg

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

mmbt0ne
05-20-2005, 03:15 AM
oh....well then. My bad.

"Good. I can feel your anger. I am defenseless. Take your weapon - strike me down with all of your hatred, and your journey to the Dark Side will be complete!"

faith
05-20-2005, 08:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your American citizenship is hereby on suspension until this happens... some people's kids; I swear

kenberman
05-20-2005, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is confirmed in the Labryinth of Evil book. Plaguies trained Sideous.

Mars357
05-20-2005, 10:55 AM
I gave it a 7...

Did anyone else notice that R2D2 can just pop out his spot in the space ships in ep III. In epIV, they were lifting his ass up there with a crane.... what gives? function of the ship and not the droyd perhaps?

I thought some of the scene transitions were very abrupt. They did seem to get better later on.

The whole movie felt rushed and slapped together to me.

SCfuji
05-20-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he would kick your ass!!!!

tpir90036
05-20-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
he also pushed through the transition too fast.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this. He went from being unsure about turning and doing it to save his wife to hacking up a bunch of 8-year olds like 5 minutes later. They should have sowed the seeds of crazy a little more before he did this.

SCfuji
05-20-2005, 11:39 AM
i think everybody is far too critical of the first two movies. the impression they left on you and the way they led up to RoTS made me think lucas actually did a good job on how the characters developed along the way. if i look at the big picture it is just crazy how this was all setup. the only thing i was pissed about was seeing jar jar binks. lucas said that he wouldnt be in RoTS but i saw his stupid ass a couple times. I HATE HIM as much as anakin hated obi-wan at the end.

drexah
05-20-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was awesome! Definitely better than I &amp; II (although I liked both of those as well). I want to watch IV again now.

Couple questions.

3. Yoda is a pimp.

[/ QUOTE ]

"there is still hope"
next movie is 'the new hope' no?

drexah
05-20-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well there are already so many replies that i doubt anyone will read this.

but, i just saw it, heres my take:

score: 8

great movie. when i was watching for the first hour or so i thought i was going to rate it a ten. then there were some slow parts with more boring dialogue than action and it fell to a 9.

then, it fell to an 8 once anakin so awkwardly fell to the darkside, which didnt translate well for me. i think lucas was overly pushing the whole save padmay plot. he also pushed through the transition too fast. [ QUOTE ]
the whole time anakin was comtemplating going to the darkside to save padmay, i kept thinking, "arent there abortions???"

[/ QUOTE ]

it didnt make sense to me that samuel l jackson was about to kill citius, but that citius was kicking the [censored] out of yoda. unless citius magically grew in power in short time, which makes no sense, it makes no sense. either way, it makes no sense to me at least.

i didnt like the obiwan fight too much with anakin/vader. for one, obiwan was not strong enough to kill duku, either time that he fought him, yet he can stand his ground to anakin. he didnt even last 2 seconds in either duku battle. however, i did think that the final scene where he cuts anakins legs off was very good. it was a good ending to the fight, showing that even though anakin is more powerful, he collapses to his own arrogance. however, again, the fight scene lasted too long for reality, even though it was entertaining despite being overly hollywood, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

i felt the same way about the abortion thing. for some sick and twisted reason i kept thinking "they probably just stick a lightsaber up padme to perform it" yes..i guess i am sick and twisted.

durron597
05-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Padme says (spoilers so in white):

<font color="white">There is still some good left in him.</font>

Dynasty
05-20-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Padme says (spoilers so in white):

<font color="white">There is still some good left in him.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like Luke tells Obi-Wan in Return of the Jedi.

Matt Flynn
05-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Boris,

See it.

Matt

KDawgCometh
05-20-2005, 05:46 PM
I didn't think it was that hard to understand. It was implied pretty well

Shakezula
05-20-2005, 06:03 PM
If Darth Plagirus could use the force to create a lifeform, as said by Sidious, how would that skill be tested? One would have to do it, and use it, to be able to see its effects, to know that the skill was acquired. I understand that Sidious may have been blowing smoke about Plagirus having the skill, but IF Plagirus did use the force that way, where is the balance? The force intends itself to be balanced, and if such a thing could be accomplished by the dark side, did the Force try to balance itself? by creating a lifeform with the Midichlorians and thus was born Annikan? Trying to "right a wrong", trying to establish balance---or was it some kind of side-effect from Plagirus's own use of that skill? For surely Plag used it for dark purposes, and the Force would need to balance itself, thus was created Anni. Maybe the skill being used for dark purposes sort of stirred up the Force to produce the counter-balance. The time difference between Plagirus's supposed use of that skill and the birth of Anni wouldn't necessarily matter, because the initial impetus was already begun, and it may have taken some time for the Force to arrange or organize (or whatever) all the Midichlorians to produce a living being....???? Or...

Because of the time-constraints, was Anni born at the same time that Sidious became politically powerful as a Senator, which was just the beginnning of his bid for control of the galaxy? Again, the Force trying to establish balance.
The movie was good. Near the end it did feel like a Star Wars movie, the pacing of the action, the transitions between, and the lengths of, some of the scenes. And of course, the man in black; the Emperor as we remembered him being; the officers in green; and that last screen shot---the same as Luke looking away to the sunsets in Episode 4. Nice.

JackWilson
05-20-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno if this has been addressed yet. To you and the poster who said Palpatine lost on purpose to convert Anakin. As far as I can see: WRONG. Mace Windu was the LEADER of the Jedi Council. Think about it. He certainly wasn't the wisest (that would be Yoda) but I do NOT think it's unreasonable to believe that Windu was a more skilled fighter than Yoda (not user of the force or anything) given this bit of information as well as the knowledge that Yoda only hauls out his lightsaber as an absolute last resort. Yoda's badass and all but I believe (along with what I've read in various SW books) that Mace Windu was more skilled with a lightsaber.

BTW, Obi-Wan's fighting evenly with Vader but not showing that he was able to beat Count Dooku can be explained in NUMEROUS ways. One plausible solution is that Obi-Wan was too careless and relaxed in the fight with Dooku since it was 2 against 1. Another possibility is that he just gets really pumped up, emotional even (a taboo amongst Jedi obv but it does seem to bring greater immediate power) in the fight against Vader. Also, remember that Obi-Wan taught Anakin everything and was far more experienced. If he knew Vader inside and out, wouldn't it be easier to do battle with him. This last possibility doesn't exactly explain why Obi-Wan couldn't beat Dooku but it's at least something to think about.

Before anyone chops me down, let me say that these are just my opinions.

My biggest beefs with the movie was that it had a lot of minor niggles everywhere (dialogue, ridiculous overuse of different screen panning/cutting/fading? techniques) and certain fight scenes not living up to their hype such as the ridiculous scene where all you can see is Palpatine's face as he kills 3 Jedi (at least 2 of which were Masters) in 5 seconds flat (FWIW I rate the Qui-Gon Jinn + Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Maul battle as the greatest lightsaber duel of all time)

I'd give it an 8. Better than A New Hope (the worst of the original 3, and yes, I do know that most people like Return of the Jedi the least, but that movie was awesome with 1 big mistake that I can easily overlook)

[censored] Ewoks.

Kevin
05-20-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, remember that Obi-Wan taught Anakin everything and was far more experienced. If he knew Vader inside and out, wouldn't it be easier to do battle with him. This last possibility doesn't exactly explain why Obi-Wan couldn't beat Dooku but it's at least something to think about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree on this with you, I do. Remember when they both try to use their hand to push each other with the force at the same exact time. Lucas was trying to make the exact point above with that scene.

KDawgCometh
05-20-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My biggest beefs with the movie was that it had a lot of minor niggles everywhere (dialogue, ridiculous overuse of different screen panning/cutting/fading? techniques) and certain fight scenes not living up to their hype such as the ridiculous scene where all you can see is Palpatine's face as he kills 3 Jedi (at least 2 of which were Masters) in 5 seconds flat

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, the killing of Master Fisto in no time was a major beef of mine. They went out of their way in the Clone Wars series to show that he was a very powerful Jedi master, and he dies like an utter chump. I was at least hoping that we'd see some of the underwater stuff that he was best at, or at least give Palpatine a hard time before being killed. I also would've liked to see the Calamari involved too, since they were the focus of some clone wars sketches

durron597
05-20-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no. he is referring to the emperor telling luke to strike him down, and then when luke gives in and goes for it, vader blocks.

he's getting the exact words wrong, but it's clear that's what he's talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly Daryn has a far better memory than me. I yield to his wisdom. (this is what I was talking about)

TStoneMBD
05-20-2005, 10:43 PM
yah i didnt realize that windu was that powerful with a saber, someone else corrected me about this as well.

i never saw episodes 4,5,6, so some of this stuff is new to me . i also dont know who the guy is that you were talking about that got slayed too fast, but i do agree that palpatine killed them way too fast.

i didnt realize that there was such a jump in skill level between jedis. some of these jedis were real bitches in this movie.

Popinjay
05-21-2005, 12:19 AM
Excellent modern day tragedy!

I am studying philosophy specifically Nietzsche, Plato/Socrates right now. I was noticing things left and right from philosophy in this movie, which made it was awesome for me. One point: notice how when Anakin tries to escape the vision of the future he only helps in making it come true? Similar to Oedipus when he leaves town to prevent killing his father and doing his mother.

I am definitely going to be seeing this again.

KDawgCometh
05-21-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yah i didnt realize that windu was that powerful with a saber, someone else corrected me about this as well.

i never saw episodes 4,5,6, so some of this stuff is new to me . i also dont know who the guy is that you were talking about that got slayed too fast, but i do agree that palpatine killed them way too fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should check out the Clone Wars DVD. Makes lots of characters in this movie look a lot better. Its animated by the guy who did samurai jack

ChoicestHops
05-21-2005, 02:54 AM
I think it's a pretty much implied that Sidious created Anakin. Remember that Anakin had no father, and the grin that Sidious had when he tells Anakin that he has the power to control life I think implied that.

Vagos
05-21-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a pretty much implied that Sidious created Anakin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is "implied" at all. The whole "manipulating life" thing to me seemed like just a ploy to get Anakin to turn. Padme DOES die after all. This is the final motivation for Anakin to go completely bad.

My other general thoughts of the movie are that it was about on par with Attack of the Clones, which I thought was pretty good. Phantom Menace was bad, that little kid was just too annoying.
My main gripes with the movie include...(*SPOILERS)
1) The General Grevious character is a little over the top for me. He all of a sudden whips out 4 lightsabers in the middle of the movie and we discover he's been trained in the force? I didn't even think droids(at least I think that's what he is) could use the force.
2) I had always thought that in A New Hope and other Star Wars lore when we here about "Vader hunting down and destroying the Jedi Knights", that this would be a slow systematic process. In the movie it is soooo lame. A quick order from Palpatine and the pathetic stormtroopers just waste battle hardened jedi knights? I didn't like it.
3) From what I hear, the book elaborates on the Palpatine confronting the Jedi scene a lot more. It's too quick in the movie. Also, I would have liked a bit of a slower transformation from Anakin. In the hangar, he actually wants to go with Mace Windu and help to arrest or kill Palpatine. Minutes later, he's a Sith? Ek.

That being said, I had been waiting to see this for a while and enjoyed it about as much as Attack of the Clones. In all honesty, there should have been two movies to cover the time between Attack of the Clones and A New Hope but that would be a bit awkward I suppose. Just seems like they squeezed too much into this one.

-Andy

Kevin
05-21-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hat being said, I had been waiting to see this for a while and enjoyed it about as much as Attack of the Clones. In all honesty, there should have been two movies to cover the time between Attack of the Clones and A New Hope but that would be a bit awkward I suppose. Just seems like they squeezed too much into this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree - they could have did Clones as #1 with a little backstory of how Anakin came into the Jedi Order.

Stretch out act 1 &amp; 2 of Sith for a #2 with Anakin changing over at the very end. The Jedi Purge and OB-1/Anakin battle at the beginning of A new #3, and then more development with the whole Qui-Gonn thing and Yoda going to Dagabough and OB going to Tatooine. 2 hours each and you have it - and we would never, ever have to be exposed to Jar Jar.

[censored]
05-21-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hat being said, I had been waiting to see this for a while and enjoyed it about as much as Attack of the Clones. In all honesty, there should have been two movies to cover the time between Attack of the Clones and A New Hope but that would be a bit awkward I suppose. Just seems like they squeezed too much into this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree - they could have did Clones as #1 with a little backstory of how Anakin came into the Jedi Order.

Stretch out act 1 &amp; 2 of Sith for a #2 with Anakin changing over at the very end. The Jedi Purge and OB-1/Anakin battle at the beginning of A new #3, and then more development with the whole Qui-Gonn thing and Yoda going to Dagabough and OB going to Tatooine. 2 hours each and you have it - and we would never, ever have to be exposed to Jar Jar.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would have been cool. The clonewars cartoon series covers a good deal of ground. You should check them out if you haven't. I downloaded using limewire.

ChoicestHops
05-21-2005, 03:23 PM
It's not certain that Sidious created Anakin, but I think it makes sense.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this movie. It's easily one of my favorite Star Wars movie. The final hour of this was incredible.

ChoicestHops
05-21-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2) I had always thought that in A New Hope and other Star Wars lore when we here about "Vader hunting down and destroying the Jedi Knights", that this would be a slow systematic process. In the movie it is soooo lame. A quick order from Palpatine and the pathetic stormtroopers just waste battle hardened jedi knights? I didn't like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see why it's lame. It makes perfect sense. In A New Hope the Jedi are scattered, there's no Jedi Temple, there's barely even any Jedi.

[ QUOTE ]
3) From what I hear, the book elaborates on the Palpatine confronting the Jedi scene a lot more. It's too quick in the movie. Also, I would have liked a bit of a slower transformation from Anakin. In the hangar, he actually wants to go with Mace Windu and help to arrest or kill Palpatine. Minutes later, he's a Sith? Ek.

[/ QUOTE ]

The transition was pretty quick. But he didnt go to kill Palpatine, he was there to save him obviously. After killing Windu there's really no going back I wouldnt think.

daryn
05-21-2005, 03:28 PM

I dont see why it's lame. It makes perfect sense. In A New Hope the Jedi are scattered, there's no Jedi Temple, there's barely even any Jedi.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you missed his point

it's the manner of their dispatch that sucked

pshreck
05-21-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how the ONE FEMALE JEDI is also the only one to not even get a defense block off. Plus she is only surrounded by two clones. She gets shot once and thats it. She sucked.

[censored]
05-21-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is "implied" at all. The whole "manipulating life" thing to me seemed like just a ploy to get Anakin to turn. Padme DOES die after all. This is the final motivation for Anakin to go completely bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is almost certain that Anakin was created by manipulating the darkside of the force, as in episode his mother says there was no father. If it was indeed Palpatine that would explain his taking such a strong interest in him right from the beginning. I also thought at one point Anakin (before turning) says that Palpatine has been like a father to him. That could be Lucas sowing the early seeds.

[ QUOTE ]

1) The General Grevious character is a little over the top for me. He all of a sudden whips out 4 lightsabers in the middle of the movie and we discover he's been trained in the force? I didn't even think droids(at least I think that's what he is) could use the force.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem wasn't General Grievious but the fact that he was made to look like a pussy through out the movie. In the Clone Wars cartoons he is a complete jedi killing bad ass. A simple solution would have been to make the last episode of the series the first part of the movie where Grevious captures Palpatine taking on 3 Jedi at the same time. Thus allowing the movie only audience to become familar with Grievious.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree, Vader was much cooler and seemed more powerful when I believed he actually went out and killed Jedi after Jedi without anyone being able to stop him. Killing a bunch of knee biters hardly qualifies. A good start would have been him accompaning or following Windu from the beginning and besting those two jedi masters who were killed to easily in the movie. Palpatine and Anakin then team up against Windu, then Darth Vader in sent out to kill the other Jedi each time becoming more evil. Finally he faces off with Obi Wan. Although I would have preferred that instead of defeating Vaded/Anakin Obi Wan instead simply escaped to fight another day. There is a good amount of evidence that Anakin even by episode 2 was better with a light saber than most Jedi, including Obi Wan. This would have also allowed Vader to enter the Vader suit earlier in the movie. Perhaps after the battle with Mace Windu.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the intention was for Mace Windu telling Anakin that he did not trust him to be the final straw.

[ QUOTE ]

-Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeremy

Dynasty
05-21-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the TV series will be, in part, about Vader hunting down the jedi which survived Order 66.

This jedi...

http://images.andale.com/f2/121/109/6977467/1116340197996_z814.jpg

...was implied to have been kiled in Revenge of the Sith but we don't actually see her die. She's supposed to be a part of the TV series.

There will be endless speculation about Mace Windu who's corpse was never seen. In Sci-fi, you can survive anything and heroes have a habit of making soft landings on conveniently placed haystacks.

[censored]
05-21-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the TV series will be, in part, about Vader hunting down the jedi which survived Order 66.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a interesting point. After order 66 in carried out, Obi Wan and Yoda still go to the temple to change the message that was being broadcast to the Jedi. This could imply that infact many more Jedi did survive.

Shakezula
05-21-2005, 04:12 PM
If Mace did survive, will Vader and him square-off later in the series? That would be sweet. Apparently some did survive. That would explain how he was said to have helped hunt down the Jedi and killed them. Young padiwans don't count!

Vagos
05-21-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A good start would have been him accompaning or following Windu from the beginning and besting those two jedi masters who were killed to easily in the movie. Palpatine and Anakin then team up against Windu, then Darth Vader in sent out to kill the other Jedi each time becoming more evil. Finally he faces off with Obi Wan. Although I would have preferred that instead of defeating Vaded/Anakin Obi Wan instead simply escaped to fight another day. There is a good amount of evidence that Anakin even by episode 2 was better with a light saber than most Jedi, including Obi Wan. This would have also allowed Vader to enter the Vader suit earlier in the movie. Perhaps after the battle with Mace Windu.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the main problem is that it was simply too difficult to tell this story effectively in one movie. The whole concept of time seems distorted in this film much more than the other 5. Padme looks normal at the beginning and then is 9 months pregant at the end but it seems like this is all happening within 3 days. I always thought the annhilation of jedi knights was a process that took years upon years of Palpatine and Vader probing the galaxy, clearly that was not the case, it seemed to all happen in an instant.
Also, the ending had to stay intact with Lucas' ideas of how Vader became deformed and burned. It had been written about a while ago that Anakin was burned in some kind of lava pit after being defeated by Obi-Wan.

[censored]
05-21-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A good start would have been him accompaning or following Windu from the beginning and besting those two jedi masters who were killed to easily in the movie. Palpatine and Anakin then team up against Windu, then Darth Vader in sent out to kill the other Jedi each time becoming more evil. Finally he faces off with Obi Wan. Although I would have preferred that instead of defeating Vaded/Anakin Obi Wan instead simply escaped to fight another day. There is a good amount of evidence that Anakin even by episode 2 was better with a light saber than most Jedi, including Obi Wan. This would have also allowed Vader to enter the Vader suit earlier in the movie. Perhaps after the battle with Mace Windu.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the main problem is that it was simply too difficult to tell this story effectively in one movie. The whole concept of time seems distorted in this film much more than the other 5. Padme looks normal at the beginning and then is 9 months pregant at the end but it seems like this is all happening within 3 days. I always thought the annhilation of jedi knights was a process that took years upon years of Palpatine and Vader probing the galaxy, clearly that was not the case, it seemed to all happen in an instant.
Also, the ending had to stay intact with Lucas' ideas of how Vader became deformed and burned. It had been written about a while ago that Anakin was burned in some kind of lava pit after being defeated by Obi-Wan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the whole padame pregnancy thing bothered me as well,because as you mentioned the rest of the movie seemed to happen over a very short period of time, which each event directly connected to the preceding one.

I didn't know the Obi Wan - Vader outcome had already been discussed thanks. I still think it could have been done earlier, with perhaps the actual saber fight being a draw but Vader someone being consumed by fire by a random occurence. I did not like how A) Vader was defeated by Obi Wan especially after he took care of Dukoo with what seemed to be little effort and B) how Obi Wan did not feel the need to finish Vader off. A simple he appears to have been consumed by the lava but is actually survives ala Joker in the beginning of Batman 1 would have been better IMO.

My main complaint is the same one I have with all the episodes 1-3 which the super villians like Darth Maul, Grevious and Vader are not given enough time to show how truly powerful they are. I would have preferred in each case them having a few scences where they easily kill off some 2nd teir good guys making the final confrontation with the Jedi more significant.

Shoe
05-21-2005, 05:23 PM
TV series? Please elaborate.

KDawgCometh
05-21-2005, 05:39 PM
I've been under the illusion that many Jedi survived and went into exile like Yoda. Thekey to my thinking of that is of the rebel alliance's continuously saying "may the force be with you" and their belief in the force. SO I don't think that only Yoda and Obi-Wan survived Vader's hunting of the scattered Jedi

peachy
05-21-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what is the qui gon thing?? im kinda lost as to how he played a role in the later ones or did i just totally miss something? (besides him communicatin with obi won which i never saw

KDawgCometh
05-21-2005, 05:45 PM
he did scream NO when Anikan killed the sand people in Tatooine. The point is that Luke was Obi-Wan's redepmtion project as he was maybe not ready to train a jedi and that Qui-Gon would've been possibly able to prevent what happened

Popinjay
05-21-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what is the qui gon thing?? im kinda lost as to how he played a role in the later ones or did i just totally miss something? (besides him communicatin with obi won which i never saw

[/ QUOTE ]

Obi-Wan learned how to not die from Qui-Gon. Which is why he was able to "become more powerful than you know" when Darth Vader "killed" him. Living now in the force itself Obi-Wan was better able to guide Luke to becoming a Jedi Knight.

peachy
05-21-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he did scream NO when Anikan killed the sand people in Tatooine. The point is that Luke was Obi-Wan's redepmtion project as he was maybe not ready to train a jedi and that Qui-Gon would've been possibly able to prevent what happened

[/ QUOTE ]

i missed that...maybe i just didnt pick up on that it was him

o and to whoever said all the sudden r2 started fightin...if u watch the original 3 he does shock some things and he releases clouds of smoke, etc etc. but i didnt remember any of this until i went back and watched the orignial ones

Rotating Rabbit
05-21-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If Mace did survive, will Vader and him square-off later in the series? That would be sweet. Apparently some did survive. That would explain how he was said to have helped hunt down the Jedi and killed them. Young padiwans don't count!

[/ QUOTE ]

And if anakin can be left for dead burning to death on a lava bed with 0 real limbs, and yet survive, then surely mace can survive a fall with 3 limbs.

[censored]
05-21-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And if anakin can be left for dead burning to death on a lava bed with 0 real limbs, and yet survive, then surely mace can survive a fall with 3 limbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

PLus, based on the Clone Wars series, it is quite clear that height is of little consequence to Mace Windu

peachy
05-21-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obi-Wan learned how to not die from Qui-Gon. Which is why he was able to "become more powerful than you know" when Darth Vader "killed" him. Living now in the force itself Obi-Wan was better able to guide Luke to becoming a Jedi Knight.

[/ QUOTE ]

no i got that part...im just sayin i never saw him speak to him (qui gon to obi won)

KDawgCometh
05-21-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
im just sayin i never saw him speak to him (qui gon to obi won)

[/ QUOTE ]

cause Yoda hadn't taught that to Obi-Wan until after RotS was over, but he knew how by the time A New Hope happened

peachy
05-21-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cause Yoda hadn't taught that to Obi-Wan until after RotS was over, but he knew how by the time A New Hope happened

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe no i know!! i was just kinda like meh that they never showed this at all /images/graemlins/mad.gif

KDawgCometh
05-21-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe no i know!! i was just kinda like meh that they never showed this at all /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

since they plan on a tv show, I think that this might be included in it

Phoenix1010
05-21-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty much describes my gripes with the movie as well. I was really looking forward to Vader kicking some Jedi ass and hunting them down one by one, perhaps a duel with Windu. All I got was a cheap shot against Windu, some child slaughtering, and him getting his legs AND remaining arm hacked off (JFK magic bullet style with one swipe) by Obi Wan. Weak.

That battle between Sidious and the Jedi was really weak as well. Two Jedi masters and they can't last 5 seconds? Windu was pretty kickass though.

I liked the movie a lot, but I was sorely disappointed on some points.

peachy
05-21-2005, 06:50 PM
i felt the same way...i wanted one b/w 3 and 4 - so much was left out...not just darth hunting people down but luke and what not growing up etc

Phoenix1010
05-21-2005, 06:58 PM
http://www.mcchris.com/

MC Pee Pants' Boba Fett theme song. Go to listen and click on the album, listen to Fett's Vette. Trust me.

tbach24
05-21-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.mcchris.com/

MC Pee Pants' Boba Fett theme song. Go to listen and click on the album, listen to Fett's Vette. Trust me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this. Another VERY good song is the Super Mario Brothers Rap.

Dynasty
05-21-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A live action TV series will be made for either the 2006-07 or 2007-08 television season. It will take place between the events of Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars.

I believe there is also an animated series being made.

[censored]
05-21-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i felt the same way...i wanted one b/w 3 and 4 - so much was left out...not just darth hunting people down but luke and what not growing up etc

[/ QUOTE ]

Peachey there is rumored to be a TV show which cover the time between 3 &amp; 4, however it is highly unlikely that it will involve Luke at all.

peachy
05-21-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A live action TV series will be made for either the 2006-07 or 2007-08 television season. It will take place between the events of Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars.

[/ QUOTE ]

will the TV show have different stars playin the characters or main stream actors?? this seems sort of expensive to make a tv series with a lot of main actors as thier characters - i guess with vader though that wont be hard...but with the others it would

Dynasty
05-21-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

will the TV show have different stars playin the characters or main stream actors?? this seems sort of expensive to make a tv series with a lot of main actors as thier characters - i guess with vader though that wont be hard...but with the others it would

[/ QUOTE ]

The live action series isn't supposed to focus on the main characters of the films.

Everything is in pre-production so nothing is set yet.

There are credible rumors that Kevin Smith (Clerks and the other Jersey films) will be a primary behind-the-scenes guy. He's a huge Star Wars fan.

durron597
05-22-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope they don't bring back Hayden Christiansen

[censored]
05-22-2005, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would it possibly matter at this point?

awval999
05-22-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah-- remember, he got burned. Real bad. Big black mask. Respirator? Ring any bells?

NomadCat
05-22-2005, 03:17 AM
I'm new to thread and this will probably not be read...

Doesn't Palpatine state that Darth Plegasus (or whatever his name was) learned how to manipulate midichlorians to create life as well as sustain it and prevent people from dying? If you remember from Ep. 1, Anakin was conceived immaculately. I inferred from this tidbit that Palpatine may have actually "created" Anakin. This would show that the guy really knew how to set long term goals for himself.

jcmack13
05-22-2005, 05:13 AM
This post will definitely not be read except by people who have marked this as a favorite thread and read the first 600 replies already...

-The Padme as Helen of Troy thing, a woman so beautiful as to cause a kingdom to come to ruin, since Vader is the tipping point in the battle between Jedi and Sith and makes his choice because of her.
-the brilliance of Vader's conversion to the dark side being for love. Excellent.
-Episode IV is better because of this movie. We understand why Vader is so mad at Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan is the reason Vader is deformed, and he blames Obi-Wan for what happens to Padme.
-If you're gonna destroy the order of the galaxy for a woman, it's gonna be for Natalie Portman, am i right? Too bad her acting was subpar.

-Thank God this movie was good. I &amp; II sucked with throwaway characters and plot elements that did not draw from the rich well of star wars tradition (darth maul and qui gon jinn were throwaway characters. pod race? please. video game gimmick tie-in.) EP III is a direct part of the SW tradition.

-Though, points to the poster who pointed out Darth Maul v. Obi Wan and Qui Gon as best lightsaber duel ever. Unquestionably.

-movie would've been better if it ended with the Vader mask first descending onto Anakin's face. Or perhaps with Palpatine saying, "can you hear me?" and vader responding, "yes, my master." (*huhhh* *brrrrrr*) Cut to credits. Perfection. "NOOOOOOOO" was tarded.

-Intense cinematic moments. From the moment Windu and Palpatine started fighting to the christening of Darth Vader to Order 66, i was on pins and needles for the first time in a SW film since ROTJ. Also the two climactic lightsaber duels. "I'll do what I must." "You'll try." Excellent.

-Padme's final words. "There is still some good in him." Perfection. though it can be divided into three films about anakin and three films about luke, this line makes all six ultimately about vader. Makes the other movies better. which is what i wanted since i heard lucas was making more SW films.

none of you read this anyway. but i just saw it. solid 8.

Dangergirl
05-22-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The General is not completely a droid though. As you saw he had a human heart, eyes, and a brain. This is the way he was able to learn the ways of the jedi. While the Clone Wars DVD does not completely cover this, you do learn that he is a badass. As someone else already mentioned, I was also pretty disappointed the way Obi-Wan kicked his ass so easily. Lucas made him seem like a complete wuss.

Dynasty
05-22-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The General is not completely a droid though. As you saw he had a human heart, eyes, and a brain. This is the way he was able to learn the ways of the jedi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grievous didn't actually use the force. He simply had quick enough droid reflexes and lightsaber training from Count Dooku too allow himself to duel with jedi.

durron597
05-22-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah-- remember, he got burned. Real bad. Big black mask. Respirator? Ring any bells?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he couldn't act even in the big black suit. His body language was off and the "Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

[censored]
05-22-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he couldn't act even in the big black suit. His body language was off and the "Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

the sound of "NO" didn't remind you of anyone? Seriously not familar at all?

Kevin
05-22-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnn

jstnrgrs
05-22-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I think so. I don't know why he wouldn't finish off the job though (just to be sure).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if Obi-wan was thinking of this, but it was nessessary to leave Anakin alive so that he could be redeamed later.

durron597
05-22-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course in reminded me of ST:II. But that's supposed to be a good thing? William Shatner is STILL getting made fun of for this today.

[censored]
05-22-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course in reminded me of ST:II. But that's supposed to be a good thing? William Shatner is STILL getting made fun of for this today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ dude, James Earl Jones was the one did the no. Therefore your critism of Hayden Christenson for that is rather silly. Again how could it possibly matter who was brought in to play Vader at this point?

KDawgCometh
05-22-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I think so. I don't know why he wouldn't finish off the job though (just to be sure).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if Obi-wan was thinking of this, but it was nessessary to leave Anakin alive so that he could be redeamed later.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that Obi_Wan knows that Annikan isn't dead, I think its just that he can't bring himself to actually killing Annikan. He cares about Annikan too much to actually kill him

BoxTree
05-22-2005, 06:27 PM
Sidious
Anakin
Obi-Wan

Not:

Citius
Annikan
Obi-Won, etc.

Kevin
05-22-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that Obi_Wan knows that Annikan isn't dead, I think its just that he can't bring himself to actually killing Annikan. He cares about Annikan too much to actually kill him

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting point. It was not the Jedi way for Anakin to kill Dookoo, since he was weaponless - so Obi-Wan does it the Jedi way.

Also, it is interesting that he calls him "Darth", not "Vader", not "Anakin" in ANH. Since it is Darth Maul, Darth Tyrannus, Darth Vader, Darth Sidious, etc., Darth is to the Sith world what Mr. is to ours. At the time he takes him down, he probably doesn't even know that he is Darth Vader. He would have to find out that he is Vader hearing stories on Tatooine. You would think that out of disrepect he would call him Anakin since that is all he has ever been to OB1 (would have spoiled the plot, I know) - or at least Vader. When I watched ANH the other day, calling him Darth seemed so hokey.

Clarkmeister
05-22-2005, 07:23 PM
I guess I'm the only one who didn't mind the "nooooooooooooooooooooooooo". /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dynasty
05-22-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm the only one who didn't mind the "nooooooooooooooooooooooooo". /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It didn't bother me. Although, I didn't like the lumbering off the operation table. Still, it's just nitpicking for me.

However, when Vader speaks in James Earl Jones' voice and asks the Emperor about Padme, it was really striking. I thought it was an excellent bridge from the Anakin Skywalker we saw in the prequel trilogy and the Darth Vader we saw in the original trilogy.

Clarkmeister
05-22-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

However, when Vader speaks in James Earl Jones' voice and asks the Emperor about Padme, it was really striking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and thought that was a very powerful movie moment, maybe one of the defining moments of the entire series, right up there with "Luke, I am your father".

drudman
05-22-2005, 10:52 PM
I can't believe the following horrible lines haven't been made fun of yet:

"Anakin! You're breaking my heart!"

You were supposed to be the chosen one! You were my brother! I loved you! (paraphrased)

"I guess this is how liberty dies."

Other assorted lameness -

-It had to be [censored] Chewbacca that helped Yoda escape, didn't it? Lucas just wouldn't be able to sleep at night if he didn't make one of the two Wookies - on a planet inhabited by millions of them! - the same one who helps to blow up two Death Stars.

-Already mentioned, but if you're going to go and arrest the Dark Lord of the Sith, do NOT bring the WACKEST Jedis you have.

-What was up with the sluttily dressed female Jedi? And the panning out of her body being blasted? Seemed misogynous.

-There was no need for the Frankenstein allusion at the end, nor the Wrath of Khan one. Honestly, busting out of the cuffs and staggering forward with arms extended?

-Lucas gave all the die-hards a monstrous middle finger by putting in 5 seconds of Jar-Jar.

-The Emperor kind of pulled a Victor Yevschenko (sp?), the President guy who was poisoned and turned into a hideous withered guy, and then used the support to become President... there were also a lot of other remarks that seemed to comment on current events. Lot of talk about "democracy" and whatnot.

Soul Daddy
05-22-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-Lucas gave all the die-hards a monstrous middle finger by putting in 5 seconds of Jar-Jar.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, that was terrible! How could he? Clearly, saying a big FU to all those who decried the character. Give me a break. He downscaled the character in each of the last two episdoes to appease the so called "die hards". I can't stand the thing as much as anyone, but you taking offense to this insertion is just plain silly. It fit, given the nature of his relationship to Padme. Relax. If he hadn't been shown at all, you probably would have screamed, "I can't believe he didn't even include Jar-Jar! What, Lucas can just make characters vanish into thin air?"

ClaytonN
05-23-2005, 01:10 AM
I had to ask this, sorry if this has been covered earlier in the thread.

What is the deal with Dooku? I came out of the film feeling sympathetic for him. He deterred when he said that there was sith in the senate, etc.

Is he still a bad guy?

Anyways, my thoughts on the movie:

The character dialogue was abysmal. At the end it was very well done, but the crap between Anakin and Padme was embarassing. Not that I watched this movie for the love story, but STILL.

Grievous was supposed to be a better villain than Lucas portrayed. I came into the film thinking he was supposed to be king bad-ass, and he's this coughing hooligan who keeps running away like a coward. Plus, when he's finally in battle with Obi-wan, he gets owned.

Battle scenes and fight scenes, awesome. Overall, very good movie. I give it a 8.

[censored]
05-23-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What is the deal with Dooku? I came out of the film feeling sympathetic for him. He deterred when he said that there was sith in the senate, etc.

Is he still a bad guy?

Grievous was supposed to be a better villain than Lucas portrayed. I came into the film thinking he was supposed to be king bad-ass, and he's this coughing hooligan who keeps running away like a coward. Plus, when he's finally in battle with Obi-wan, he gets owned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dukoo was a bad guy but not a sith. His actions in the film were merely part of the misdirection at the orders of Darth Sideous. He died a bad guy, although a disgarded and betrayed one.

In order to appreciate General Grevious I would suggest downloading the clone wars cartoon series (25 episodes). I have no eartly idea why Lucus chose to basically waste him in episode 3.

ClaytonN
05-23-2005, 01:24 AM
I saw maybe 1 episode of that cartoon.

It involved some chase scene with some Jedi and Grievous. They were leaping all over the place in some sky city.

He was bad-ass. Bit different in the movie.

Thanks for the clarification on Dooku.

Soul Daddy
05-23-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had to ask this, sorry if this has been covered earlier in the thread.

Is he still a bad guy?

Anyways, my thoughts on the movie:

The character dialogue was abysmal. At the end it was very well done, but the crap between Anakin and Padme was embarassing. Not that I watched this movie for the love story, but STILL.

Battle scenes and fight scenes, awesome. Overall, very good movie. I give it a 8.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I follow your question about Dooku. Palpatine was basically using him until he was sure he could get Anakin to turn. I believe the Sith subscribe to the 1 master, 1 apprentice theory, so he had no need for Dooku and if Anakin were to kill him it would only further him down the road to the Dark Side. If that has nothing to do with what you're asking, let me know.

Yeah, the dialogue kind of sucked, but I didn't think it was too bad. I especially thought Obi-Wan's pieces were well played.

Agred on Grievous. In Clone Wars, he looked like an unstoppable badass. I was really excited to see how they pulled this off in ROTS, but ended up disappointed.

All in all, I loved the movie. I'm not sure I've ever been so creeped out when leaving a theatre. I'd have nightmares for weeks if I was one of the hundreds of little children that were in the theatre with me. Not especially violent, just intense and soooo dark.

Soul Daddy
05-23-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dukoo was a bad guy but not a sith. His actions in the film were merely part of the misdirection at the orders of Darth Sideous. He died a bad guy, although a disgarded and betrayed one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahh... I didn't catch that. Thanks,

[censored]
05-23-2005, 01:29 AM
I can absolutely recommend all 25 of the cartoons if you like starwars. You will also get more information on Anakin and Mace Windu plays a large role as well as a few other Jedi.

Dynasty
05-23-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dooku was definitely a sith. He was the apprentice of Darth Sidious. Dooku's sith name was Darth Tyrannus.

He was referred to as Tyranus by both Sidious and Jango Fett in Attack of the Clones. Dooku was his public name in the same way Sidious had the public name of Palpatine.

On Starwars.com, you can read this bio of Dooku.

[ QUOTE ]
It was a great blow to the Jedi order when Count Dooku voluntarily renounced his commission. A strong-minded man, Dooku's ideas were often out of step with those of the Jedi Council, despite the fact that his former mentor, Yoda, held a lofty position in that governing body. His challenging views were often echoed by his former Padawan, Qui-Gon Jinn, another Jedi who would on occasion defy the Council.
Dooku was a political idealist. He felt that the Jedi weakened themselves by serving an institution as corrupt as the Republic. After his departure, he disappeared for years, re-emerging as a political firebrand fanning the flames of rebellion in the galaxy. In an alarmingly short time, Dooku rallied thousands of systems to his cause, building a growing Separatist movement that threatened to split the Republic.

Opportunists working in Dooku's name would start flashpoints of violence, and it was all the Jedi could do to maintain order in these turbulent times. For all the strife, the Jedi Council refused to believe that Dooku was personally responsible for the worst of the conflicts, believing that his Jedi training elevated him above such acts.

But the Jedi didn't realize Dooku's secret. Behind a veneer of elegant charisma and well-tabled political arguments, Dooku had been corrupted by the power of the dark side. After his departure from the Jedi order, Dooku was seduced to the dark side by Darth Sidious, the Dark Lord of the Sith. By Sith tradition, Dooku adopted the name Darth Tyranus and added deceit and treachery to his already formidable array of weapons.

In both guises, Dooku began recruiting agents for what would eventually amount to the death of the Old Republic. As Tyranus, he contacted the notorious bounty hunter Jango Fett to become the template for a hidden clone army on Kamino. As Dooku, he appealed to the greed of the galaxy's most powerful commerce barons to consolidate their forces to challenge the Republic.

Deep within the mighty spires of Geonosis, Dooku chaired a meeting of the minds to formally create the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Separatist Senators alongside representatives from the Commerce Guild, the Trade Federation, the Corporate Alliance, the InterGalactic Banking Clan and the Techno Union pooled their resources together to form the largest military force in the galaxy. The Separatists were ready for war.

The Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi discovered the treasonous meeting and warned the Republic, but not without being captured. Dooku met with Kenobi in the Geonosian dungeons, and revealed to Obi-Wan the truth about the Republic -- that it was, in fact, becoming increasingly under the control of Darth Sidious. Distrusting of Dooku's words, Obi-Wan refused to believe and refused to join Dooku in rooting out the corruption.

Kenobi was soon joined by Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala, who had come to Geonosis in an ill-fated attempt to rescue him. Dooku placed the three captive heroes in an execution arena, but their deaths were staved off by the timely arrival of Jedi reinforcements.

The droid armies of the Separatists engaged the Jedi, and later the newly crafted Clone Army of the Republic. Dooku attempted to escape but was intercepted by Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi. The two Jedi challenged Dooku to a lightsaber duel, but Dooku's masterful skills in old-style lightsaber combat made short work of the younger combatants. As they lay wounded, another Jedi entered into Dooku's secret hangar.

The Jedi Master Yoda confronted Dooku. The two engaged in a titanic struggle of Force powers, neither besting the other. It came down to a contest of lightsabers. In a blurring tangle of speed and light, the two masters of the Force dueled. Unable to find an advantage, Dooku distracted Yoda by endangering Kenobi and Skywalker with a toppling crane. As Yoda used the Force to save his fellow Jedi, Dooku fled.

Dooku escaped, with the Jedi aware of his succumbing to the dark side, but yet still unaware of his Sith allegiance. Aboard his exotic interstellar sail ship, Dooku traveled to a decrepit warehouse district on Coruscant. There, he met with his master, Darth Sidious, and delivered the good news.

The Clone Wars had begun.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]
05-23-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dooku was definitely a sith. He was the apprentice of Darth Sidious. Dooku's sith name was Darth Tyrannus.

He was referred to as Tyrannus by both Sidious and Jango Fett in Attack of the Clones. Dooku was his public name in the same way Sidious had the public name of Palpatine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure, in the book I just finished Dark Reendezvous, set soon before Episode 3, it seems to make it out that he is not a sith but instead a "dark jedi." Also in the CW cartoons when is "fighting" Asaii Ventress he says something if you were a sith would I even be a match for you, which I took to mean he was not a Sith.

Soul Daddy
05-23-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

He was referred to as Tyrannus by both Sidious and Jango Fett in Attack of the Clones. Dooku was his public name in the same way Sidious had the public name of Palpatine.

[/ QUOTE ]
So since he knew that Anakin was so close to his inevitable turn to the Dark Side, he found Dooku dispensible? And if Anakin were the one to administer it, all the better?

Dynasty
05-23-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So since he knew that Anakin was so close to his inevitable turn to the Dark Side, he found Dooku dispensible? And if Anakin were the one to administer it, all the better?

[/ QUOTE ]

That appears to be the way Sidious was thinking. It mirrors the scene in Return of the Jedi where the Emperor wants Luke to replace his father.

Soul Daddy
05-23-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That appears to be the way Sidious was thinking. It mirrors the scene in Return of the Jedi where the Emperor wants Luke to replace his father.

[/ QUOTE ]
Theoretically, what does the Sith Lord gain from having an apprentice? Or more to the point, what does he lose from not having one? Had Vader actually died Mustafar, would Sidious have been effected? Were there others that he would be able to lure to be his new apprentice? Or would he have continued his empire as the lone Sith?

Dynasty
05-23-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Theoretically, what does the Sith Lord gain from having an apprentice? Or more to the point, what does he lose from not having one? Had Vader actually died Mustafar, would Sidious have been effected? Were there others that he would be able to lure to be his new apprentice? Or would he have continued his empire as the lone Sith?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's necessary to maintain the sith. If there's only one sith lord and he dies, the line completely dies.

Also, the apprentice is the front line warrior. We saw this with Darth Maul in The Phantom Menace and Darth Vader in the orginal trilogy. The apprentice is the enforcer.

[censored]
05-23-2005, 01:55 AM
Yep you are right Dynasty, thinking about it more Dukoo would have to be sith if was the apprentice to Sideous which he most certainly was.

Do you have any EU information on when and how he became apprentice to Sideous?

Dynasty
05-23-2005, 02:09 AM
The StarWars.com bio (http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/countdooku/?id=eu)

It is yet unknown when exactly Dooku abandoned himself to the dark side of the Force, though he had apparently experimented with forbidden lore in the past. Rumors abound that Dooku was familiar with Sith teachings stored within a dark Holocron kept in the Jedi Archives.

I'm not sure when this was last updated.

Shakezula
05-23-2005, 02:13 AM
I agree. Yoda: "Always two there are, no more no less", or something like that (in episode I)

To have an apprentice is to have someone completely devoted to you and to serve without question. Someone who reinforces the Master's power by being submissive, and without power to act against the Master, at least openly or directly. The Master has to be poisoned by food (see "Kill Bill Vol.II") or killed in his sleep, as Sidious did to Plag. The Master "knows the weaknesses as well as the strengths" of the student or apprentice.

Seems like Sidious def. wanted Dooku out of the way. He tried to reason to Ani that Dooku needed to be killed, then finally spoke the words (or gave Ani the command?) "Kill him", in his dark voice, after Dooku looks back with surprise at Palp. Betrayed in the end. Dooku followed all the commands his Master gave him, did all the "grunt-work". There was nothing else his Master needed him to do... except die.

kenberman
05-23-2005, 08:28 AM
in the 'old days', Jedi were trained as youngsters, and there was even doubt that Anakin was too old to begin training in Episode I. So why did OB1 wait until Luke was a teenager to begin training him?

StevieG
05-23-2005, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-It had to be [censored] Chewbacca that helped Yoda escape, didn't it? Lucas just wouldn't be able to sleep at night if he didn't make one of the two Wookies - on a planet inhabited by millions of them! - the same one who helps to blow up two Death Stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was way too much. Not only that, but then how does that guy go from that kind of trusted role within the organized culture to running around the galaxy with a pirate? Doesn't even make sense.

[ QUOTE ]

-What was up with the sluttily dressed female Jedi? And the panning out of her body being blasted? Seemed misogynous.

[/ QUOTE ]

We first saw her in the arena battle in Clones. Same outfit. Think we needed more of that.

durron597
05-23-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
in the 'old days', Jedi were trained as youngsters, and there was even doubt that Anakin was too old to begin training in Episode I. So why did OB1 wait until Luke was a teenager to begin training him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably several reasons, not the least of which were:

1) He screwed up Anakin's training
2) He knew that Owen and Beru were against getting involved in galactic affairs
3) He didn't want to be noticed by Sidious/Vader, they would have sensed Luke's training

samjjones
05-23-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably several reasons, not the least of which were:

1) He screwed up Anakin's training
2) He knew that Owen and Beru were against getting involved in galactic affairs
3) He didn't want to be noticed by Sidious/Vader, they would have sensed Luke's training

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually explained really well in the novel. In the novel, Yoda has been communicating with Qui-Gon Jinn's force essence for some time. After Anakin turns into Vader, Yoda feels responsible, since his (and all Jedis) arrogance prevented them from seeing that Palpatine = Sidious. Qui-Gon tells him not to take the blame, that all that is happening is the will of the living force. Afterwards, Yoda talks to Obi-Wan, and tells him that the children of Skywalker will be strong in the Force, and will be led to them when the Force wills it.

Dynasty
05-23-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was way too much. Not only that, but then how does that guy go from that kind of trusted role within the organized culture to running around the galaxy with a pirate? Doesn't even make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chewbacca was put in the films because there's a large core of fans who want to see the OT chacters again. That's why Yoda and R2D2 got the biggest responses during the film.

As for the Chewbacca story, it basically goes:

1. The Empire enslaves the wookies
2. Han saves Chewbacca, costing Han his job as an Imperial pilot
3. Chewbacca hangs with Han to repay his life debt

jedi
05-23-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, the apprentice is the front line warrior. We saw this with Darth Maul in The Phantom Menace and Darth Vader in the orginal trilogy. The apprentice is the enforcer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ian McDarmid mentioned this in an interview. Dooku is getting too old to be an apprentice and Sidious recruits Anakin as his younger apprentice. Anakin's first act as his apprentice (though he doesn't know it yet) is really the killing of Dooku, taking care of some business that Sidious needed to take care of.

In RotJ, Vader is getting too old, and Sidious is attempting to recruit another apprentice, a younger apprentice. Too bad Luke has to go mess everything up.

durron597
05-23-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Ian McDarmid mentioned this in an interview. Dooku is getting too old to be an apprentice and Sidious recruits Anakin as his younger apprentice. Anakin's first act as his apprentice (though he doesn't know it yet) is really the killing of Dooku, taking care of some business that Sidious needed to take care of.

[/ QUOTE ]

It also helps that Anakin is way more powerful, way more politically convenient (Dooku is the leader of the separatists), and would be a big blow to the Jedi order if they lost him.

[ QUOTE ]

In RotJ, Vader is getting too old, and Sidious is attempting to recruit another apprentice, a younger apprentice. Too bad Luke has to go mess everything up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's an issue of Vader getting too old as it is an issue of both Vader and Luke getting too powerful. Luke is the last free Jedi Knight (a useful ally if turned), Vader is thinking about trying to overthrow Palpatine.