PDA

View Full Version : Raise this turn?

GooperMC
05-19-2005, 02:32 AM
First let me thank everyone for responding to these hand that I am posting. I hope thinking about them is a helpful for you guys as it is for me.

Party Poker (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
4 folds, call, call, Hero raises, fold, SB fold, BB call, all limpers call.

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG bets, folded to me, I call, BB calls.

Turn: 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks. UTG bets, 1 fold, Hero???

I called but the more that I think about it the more I think I should have raised. I think I should have raised because
1) UTG may not bet into me on the river and if he doesn’t I will lose 1 BB
2) If BB has A2 or maybe even A3 he will probably call my raise and UTG and I will have him trapped between us.
3) If UTG has 89 he may cap both the turn and the river in which case I can build a huge pot with the almost nuts in both directions.

The only downside of raising is BB might call 1 but not cold call 2 however I think this is easily made up by the reasons above.

I think that I missed an opportunity for a huge pot. What do you guys think?

templar999
05-19-2005, 02:53 AM
gooper,

as a new poster on 2+2, i certainly do appreciate your 0/8 posts. it makes me analyze situations i've encountered through different facets. i'll simply comment on why you do not want the BB in.

IMO, i think you must raise this turn. any low draw poses a potential threat to you. you certainly want any A2 to fold in case your low does come in. if he calls with A2, you dont really mind as you'll have him quartered unless he holds the freakish A288. you also want any A3 to fold in case an ace or deuce falls on the river. if he calls with a bare A3, i'd recommend you put him on your buddy list. finally, dont let him get a cheap chance to spike a miracle card to beat you. he's getting around 7 to 1 on his call. better to cut those odds in half.

respectfully,
temp

gergery
05-19-2005, 05:33 AM
I definitely raise. you will get calls from 67xx, 8xxx, and AA-QQ here at low limits. Only reason to call is to get bluffers to take a shot when they would have folded, but there are far too many hands that will call but not bet in this situation

--El Donk

chaos
05-19-2005, 08:13 AM
I would raise. You have the second nuts for high (behind quad 8s) and the nut low draw. You want to charge the BB the maximum to try and draw out on you.

GooperMC
05-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks guys that is what I thought. I clicked the call button and then wanted to kick myself.