PDA

View Full Version : throwing in the race card

Tyler Durden
05-19-2005, 01:41 AM
I'm watching Sportscenter and they're covering the NBA labor talks. Billy Hunter, who is a black man and I think the head of the NBAPA just brought race into the issue. He said something like "me, as a black man....". I didn't get all of it b/c I wasn't really listening but I'm sure it was something idiotic. Anyone know what he was talking about?

New001
05-19-2005, 01:45 AM
I heard it too and thought it was really stupid. He also said something about "the white man" not wanting him, "a black man," to be running things. Or something like that. Racism is one thing, but endless accusations of it are bad too.

bump
05-19-2005, 01:51 AM
I am pretty sure that one plays the race card and does not throw it.

blaze666
05-19-2005, 01:55 AM
when people hear that dreaded 'r' word, they start going crazy, and saying they are not a racist, and all this bullshizzle. so if that guy accused someone of being a aracist, and then he made a comment like 'well, yes as a black person, you...etc' then they would go crazy accusing him of being a racist.

Tyler Durden
05-19-2005, 02:04 AM
ok good point. but i've thrown cards at the dealer before. maybe you can throw a race card also

Non_Comformist
05-19-2005, 02:08 AM
That's one way to get the predominately white NBA audience against you right off the bat. It's shame because the players did so well from a PR standpoint last labor dispute.

billyjex
05-19-2005, 02:42 AM
i just saw what you're talking about.

it's [censored] stupid. because race is such a touchy issue in this country black people try to use it to get their way.

jesus, these guys make it seem like they're still slaves in this country.

MCS
05-19-2005, 05:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
black people try to use it to get their way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, other races are definitely above such things.

jakethebake
05-19-2005, 09:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure that one plays the race card and does not throw it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well maybe Chris Ferguson. Everyone else though...

tek
05-19-2005, 09:28 AM
I think the guys in the NBA head office should start saying things like "...me as a Jewish man in America..." /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jakethebake
05-19-2005, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the guys in the NBA head office should start saying things like "...Oy, me as a Jewish man in America, already..." /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

tek
05-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Oy, such intense negotiations. I need a rueben and some borscht. What do I need these fukokta problems for? Problems with my wife. Problems with my kids. The I got the schfartzas with the 'I want more money' all the time. Do I need this?

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ShawnHoo
05-19-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i just saw what you're talking about.

it's [censored] stupid. because race is such a touchy issue in this country black people try to use it to get their way.

jesus, these guys make it seem like they're still slaves in this country.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen examples of this recently in my local cardroom. I had a (black) player at my table call the (white) floorman "racist" at the top of his lungs because he allowed another player to see his mucked hand at showdown. (No, I am not exaggerating.)

That said, there's a lot of whiners/people who lack any semblance of personal responsibility among *every* race and nationality.

Oski
05-19-2005, 12:33 PM
That reminded me of one time at the (j)Oaks Card room in Emeryville.

I had my car parked in Valet and as I handed my ticket to the attendant, I said "Black '96 Honda Accord."

He got in my face, "Why does it have to be BLACK?!"

"Fukkin' calm down man, that's the color of my car. Kind of makes it easier to find."

"Still, no reason to tell me its BLACK! Are you trying to prove something?"

I quickly got the manager so that someone else would get my car. I didn't want that asswipe near my car, after all.

The guy quit a few weeks later. I was told many people complained about him. I didn't realize how many black cars there were out there.

jedi
05-19-2005, 12:46 PM
There are sometimes where race is a legitimate part of the discussion, including discussing whether someone has been maligned by others because of race.

There are other times when people play "the race card" to gain sympathy points where there shouldn't be any.

Basically, I think we're just all different as human beings, but it's easy to latch onto skin color as a discriminator. If I were to meet 2 people from New York, one white, one black, both much different from people here (California), I'll bet that most people would call the white guy "the New Yorker," while calling the black guy "the black guy."

Sucks all around. Treat people as people, and don't invent wrongs just to gain sympathy.

Sponger15SB
05-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Janet Miles: [ chipper ] And so are you, if you don't order this amazing pasta-maker! Thanks for your call! [ turning to Richard ] Well, Richard, this pasta-maker is truly amazing! And it's made here in America, isn't it?

Richard Hayden: Yes.. It's.. it's an American appliance that makes Italian food.

Janet Miles: [ amazed ] That's great! Because, if you're like me, you're tired of buying from the Jap! [ more phones ring ] Everywhere you turn, it's a Jap product. They're taking over! At least with Pearl Harbor, we knew we were getting attacked.. but with this invasion of Nip products, it's even sneakier, you know?

Richard Hayden: wanting badly to sneak out of the studio ] Uh.. yeah.. Well, it's made here in the U.S.A., Janet.. And do you know what's the best part? The price!

Janet Miles: Okay, here comes the catch.. this has to cost a lot of money. Your invention makes good-tasting pasta in under four minutes. It's durable and so simple to use, even a Puerto Rican can figure it out! [ all the phones start ringing at once ] And it makes enough for a family of six. Now, this must cost at least $200. Am I right?

Richard Hayden: [ totally embarrassed ] Yeah.. uh.. I mean no. It's much less.. it's $39.95.. [ waving his hands in protest ] But I just want to say..

Janet Miles: I know. Let's take some more calls and sell some pasta-makers! Caller, you're on "Time Savers"!

Caller #3: [ speaks in Spanish ]

Janet Miles: Who, whoa, whoa! Pepe! Pepe! Slow down! We'll have to find a Spanish-speaking operator to take your order. Next caller, you're on "Timesavers"!

Caller #4: [ outraged ] Listen to me, you crazy bitch! I'm gonna find out where you live, and you will pay!!

Janet Miles: Me pay? Why don't you pay, for one of these pasta-makers? [ addressing her audience ] You simply cannot go wrong at $39.95. Call now, because you couldn't buy it cheaper off a drunken Indian! [ the phones go crazy, and Richard ducks for safety below the counter ] The orders are pouring in, and we'll see you, next time on "Amazing Time Savers"!

groo
05-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Playing the race card for affect is just as racist (if not more so) as the action someone else is being accused of.

imho

drewjustdrew
05-19-2005, 01:21 PM
You should watch the TV show "Airline" on A&E if you want to see the race card both played and thrown on a weekly basis. It seems like every week there is a drunk, obnoxious black guy (race card played by the producers), who throws the race card when he is not allowed to board the plane. "That's racist, man!" Quite comical.