PDA

View Full Version : Been thinking about this one all day

NateDog
05-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Winding down my session, this was the last table I had open. I'm playing w/o GT/PV open.

Villain here is likes to limp PF, and will bet if checked to. I have seen him lay down to a river raise twice since calling w/ TPTK and being shown a completed draw.

Who hates my line:

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>

I didn't even see the unintentional trifecta. Wow, I am a donk.

aK13
05-19-2005, 12:32 AM
I fold this preflop.

I don't understand the river raise.

benkath1
05-19-2005, 12:33 AM
I don't know. Why not check raise the turn too. If he's going for it. I would think it would be bad for the turn to be checked through. But if you are so sure he will bet, try it on all 3 streets. At least it will be something to laugh about.

jaxUp
05-19-2005, 12:35 AM
not real sure about this one. I think I lead the turn, but I would love to know why you decided to check. Also the river c/r is problematic for me.

ArturiusX
05-19-2005, 01:15 AM
I bet this turn 100%.

Buckmulligan
05-19-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold this preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

a crime to be sure!

ArturiusX
05-19-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold this preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd call this in 30/60.

Buckmulligan
05-19-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd call this in 30/60.

[/ QUOTE ]

I call in afinity/afinity.

badplayer
05-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Is raising from the SB with QJs standard? I'd just complete and see a flop.

The CR on flop is perfect, I think. I'd bet out on the turn, though.

Sweet CR on river, given your very specific read. Not quite sure I'd follow through with that. Something for me to think about.

ArturiusX
05-19-2005, 01:35 AM
The raise wasn't buy the hero.

Also, why do youl ike a river check-raise but not a turn check-raise?

badplayer
05-19-2005, 01:42 AM
My bad.
In that case, I'd fold pre-flop.

I didn't mean to imply the turn CR was bad at all. It would have been great to get in all three. It's just not how I would have played it. But then again, that's probably why I'm struggling.

NateDog
05-19-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My bad.
In that case, I'd fold pre-flop.

I didn't mean to imply the turn CR was bad at all. It would have been great to get in all three. It's just not how I would have played it. But then again, that's probably why I'm struggling.

[/ QUOTE ]

A trifecta ususally isn't good play. I'm kind of embarassed by the post now.

I called the turn as I thought I was WA/WB. The /images/graemlins/club.gif draw completing on the river is what drove me to the c/r. I have a shot with my Queens, but I'd really rather him lay it down here.

Too fancy/too much thinking for .5/1?

TheWorstPlayer
05-19-2005, 02:22 AM
If by fancy/thinking you mean bad/spewing, then yes. Too much of it. Lead the turn.

davelin
05-19-2005, 09:58 AM
Pre-flop was fine especially if you think BB will come along. Good idea on the flop check-raise. Bad idea to just check/call the turn.

Fantam
05-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Grunching:

Up to the flop, I would have played the same.

At the turn, I wouldnt have given him the opportunity of taking a free card, in case he was drawing to a straight or flush. I would have wanted to charge him a bet for that priviledge, plus I think it helps to define where you are. You have TP but only a fair kicker and if he reraises the turn you can reason to probably be behind to a set, 2 pair or TP better kicker.

I am not sure what MP1 is betting the turn with, but he is starting to show some strength, and when the flush card appears on the river, I would consider that there was a good chance of your being beat.

So I think I would have just called on the river, as opposed to re-raising and risking another re-raise from MP1.

tiltaholic
05-19-2005, 10:40 AM
bet that turn.
i don't care for the river check raise.

numeri
05-19-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So I think I would have just called on the river, as opposed to re-raising and risking another re-raise from MP1.

[/ QUOTE ]
While your line is all right, if we check-raise and are re-raised we can safely fold. MP1 has top pair decent kicker beat with a 3-bet on the river.

davelin
05-19-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
While your line is all right, if we check-raise and are re-raised we can safely fold. MP1 has top pair decent kicker beat with a 3-bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I hate the turn/river line here. I also hate check/raising then folding for one more on the river.

bozlax
05-19-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
afinity/afinity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this where you only get close to betting?

bozlax
05-19-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain here is likes to limp PF, and will bet if checked to.

I didn't even see the unintentional trifecta. Wow, I am a donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't grunch this one, as I didn't plan to respond. Of course, most of your responders apparently didn't even READ your OP, so now I'm responding.

The only part of this I mind is that you didn't raise the turn (so it's not really a trifecta). Given your READ on MP1 he will bet out for you on any street, and neither that nor the fact that he's in the hand mean he has anything.

Once it's HU after the flop, you want to maximize the pot unless a real scare card falls. Good job trusting your READ and playing to it to accomplish this, with the noted exception. What was your plan if Villan had 3-bet the turn? River? How'd it turn out?

numeri
05-19-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I hate the turn/river line here. I also hate check/raising then folding for one more on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
True. I would rather bet the turn. Even though it sounds in the OP like villain might fold after an obvious draw comes in, I would not try the check/raise.

That being said, suppose we mis-clicked our way to this point. Why call a river 3-bet? How often do you think you're good? I think it's less than 5%.

davelin
05-19-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That being said, suppose we mis-clicked our way to this point. Why call a river 3-bet? How often do you think you're good? I think it's less than 5%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess. If we're folding to a 3-bet I'd rather just call the initial bet then.

Fantam
05-19-2005, 11:48 AM
In summary of this thread so far. While I am in agreement with all the posters who have suggested betting the turn, I can understand OP's reasoning in the way he played this hand, based on his read of MP1.

However, I would have felt that his approach of not betting the turn (or possibly C/R it) followed by a river C/R too risky in the event that MP1 doesnt fold the winning hand.

I am now interested to know what the result was !

Sarge85
05-19-2005, 11:57 AM
PF is probably close between fold and call.

Flop was good.

you donked it up on the turn and river though.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif