PDA

View Full Version : Passive play to keep callers

macdaddy991
05-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Table very weak, fold to almost any raise. Was the passive play on a very strong draw to keep costumers incorrect?

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Would a raise here have been +EV?

Flop: (6 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds.

River: (7 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB

GrunchCan
05-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Smoothcalling the flop seems fine, but I'll raise the turn. If they fold, to hell with 'em.

Entity
05-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Preflop is an easy raise. I'm raising the flop most of the time in that event, but with a smaller pot I don't hate a call. Raise the turn.

Rob

IPSC
05-18-2005, 10:54 PM
I'm not that good, but here goes:

Your play on the flop looks fine because any non heart card that puts three to a straight on the board also gives you a redraw to a straight along with your flush draw.

If you didn't have the J /images/graemlins/heart.gif I would be raising this flop.

poundaforty
05-18-2005, 11:02 PM
I think you gotta raise this flop for value. If they all fold, that's fine.

What hands are you trying to keep in the hand by not raising? An open-ended straight draw is likely to call you regardless, as well any other flush draw. You want to charge these hands to draw. Especially if you're up against Axh, where the only way you're only gonna make money off of him is BEFORE the flush comes.

You might make middle/bottom pair fold by raising. That's fine. By not raising, you are giving these hands 8:1 to call you. As much of a favorite as you are to win the hand, I'd prefer to give them 4.5:1.

As you can see I'm new here, so I'd like to know if I've said anything wrong.

Aaron W.
05-18-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Table very weak, fold to almost any raise. Was the passive play on a very strong draw to keep costumers incorrect?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's okay on the flop because the pot is small. If you raise preflop (and you *REALLY* should because the table is weak -- but even at a normal table it's an easy raise for value), you should raise this flop because the pot is going to be 13 SB, which is big enough to be worth protecting.

It's rarely right to smooth call a turn bet with a big made hand. If they are so weak, they are going to fold because the flush made it, so you don't win much by just calling. All you can really do at this point is raise and hope they have something they want to chase (say JT with a heart).

ArturiusX
05-19-2005, 01:26 AM
I like the flop call because of your terrible relative position. But you must come out all guns blazing on the turn.

Raise preflop.