PDA

View Full Version : the dreaded "describe your weaknesses" interview question

Rhone
05-18-2005, 10:16 PM
What's the best way you've answered this or seen it answered in a job interview?

masse75
05-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Puppy Dogs. I'm a sucker for puppies.

SpearsBritney
05-18-2005, 10:21 PM
I have people skills. I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

YourFoxyGrandma
Sometimes I catch myself working a little TOO hard.

gorie
"I WORK WAYYYYY TOO HARD"
"I accept being underpaid"
"I am just too efficient sometimes and I run out of work to do."

actually i think i just say something like "i'm shy.. but once i get use to being around people i'm fine." because it is true.

gorgeous
05-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Stick it in her pooper.

Cubswin
05-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Go ahead and identify a minor weakness you might have had and then discuss how you overcame it. An example from The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Perfect Interview:

"I used to have some difficulty staying organized on the road. But then I got into the habit of making journal notes immediately after each customer call. I just learned to take the time to do it -- then and there. Since then, I've always been together, in the home office or out on the road."

Rhone
05-18-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think these "turn the weakness into a strength" strategies are a little too transparent...

The strategy Cubswin gave of giving an example of how you overcame a weakness seems like a good idea.

whiskeytown
05-18-2005, 10:29 PM
"sometimes I'm a perfectionist" one is so BS - recruiters see right thru it these days - I had a really good one once but forgot it -

RB

Vince Young
05-18-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-18-2005, 10:32 PM
Frankly, if they're going to ask such a lame, unimaginative question, they deserve a stupid, unimaginative answer.

mmbt0ne
05-18-2005, 10:34 PM
I find it hard to take work seriously all the time when I make more money from poker than your salary.

*Note: I couldn't say it.

ThaSaltCracka
05-18-2005, 10:42 PM
I just recently answered this question with this reply:

I think one thing that is my weakness is sometimes I restrain myself from taking the initiative to learn new things. I get so caught up in what I am doing that I don't think I can add anything else to my day, and I think thats a weakness for me because I think it is preventing me from reaching my full potential as a worker. I know I can learn these new things and adapt to the new work load, and I think that is something I need to start doing.

damaniac
05-18-2005, 10:45 PM
Smithers: What would each of you say is your worst quality?

Man 1: Well, I <am> a workaholic.
Man 2: I push myself too hard.
Homer: Well, it takes me a long time to learn anything, I'm kind of a goof-off...
Smithers: Okay, that'll do.
Homer: ... a little stuff starts disappearing from the workplace...

bump
[ QUOTE ]
I just recently answered this question with this reply:

I think one thing that is my weakness is sometimes I restrain myself from taking the initiative to learn new things. I get so caught up in what I am doing that I don't think I can add anything else to my day, and I think thats a weakness for me because I think it is preventing me from reaching my full potential as a worker. I know I can learn these new things and adapt to the new work load, and I think that is something I need to start doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I think that this is too much of a real weakness and could prohibit you from getting a job if you are in an organization where it is possible to move up the ladder. This shows that you don't have the aptitude for management.

[ QUOTE ]
I accept being underpaid

[/ QUOTE ]
If I was ever interviewing anyone and they said this as an answer to the question you could be damn sure I was going to lowball them on their salary offer!

gorie
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think these "turn the weakness into a strength" strategies are a little too transparent...

[/ QUOTE ]
i know, i was kind of mocking it.
that's always what you're told to do, but i agree with you.

then again, the "work too hard" thing is probably a safe way to go if you aren't sure what else to say..

gorie
05-18-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I accept being underpaid

[/ QUOTE ]
If I was ever interviewing anyone and they said this as an answer to the question you could be damn sure I was going to lowball them on their salary offer!

[/ QUOTE ]
next interview:
"SOMETIMES I SAY THINGS I SHOULDNT. oh and i am always willing to work a lot of overtime."

slickpoppa
05-18-2005, 10:55 PM
My greatest weakness is answering questions about my weaknesses.

Matt Flynn
05-18-2005, 10:58 PM
"Kryptonite."

Mr. Zero
05-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Here's the thing. It's all relative. If I was to say "I'm too competitive", is that a weakness? As an attorney probably not. But maybe. When I'm playing ping-pong with my girlfriend, it certainly is.

Depending on context I can probably label any character trait as a strength OR a weakness.

fnord_too
Geography.

gorie
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i like this.

peachy
05-18-2005, 11:08 PM
ive always answered it as that i cant let something go unfinished...that i get over determined to make something work, etc etc - so it works to mah benifit!

bdk3clash
05-18-2005, 11:09 PM
"Sometimes on job interviews I just want to leap across the desk and stab the person who's interviewing me in the throat with their letter opener. Do you guys have dental?"

tbach24
05-18-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
mah

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you're back to doing this. It always makes me laugh.

jaxUp
05-18-2005, 11:15 PM
I have a series of job interviews coming up...this is going to be fun.

whiskeytown
05-18-2005, 11:16 PM
how about "I think being disrespectful to the people hiring me and my bosses makes me seem like a stronger leader"

that'll work - /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gamblor
05-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Funny everyone here works OOT hard.

billyjex
05-18-2005, 11:25 PM
it's questions like these that make me not want to even bother with a real job when i graduate.

TimM
05-19-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it's questions like these that make me not want to even bother with a real job when i graduate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never gotten a job from interviews. I've always known someone who knows someone, etc.

I really hope I never have to do one of these.

Duke
05-19-2005, 01:46 AM
Psychoanalyzing myself. That, and fitting into small spaces.

~D

YourFoxyGrandma
05-19-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The strategy Cubswin gave of giving an example of how you overcame a weakness seems like a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i know, i was kind of mocking it.

[/ QUOTE ]

JackThree
05-19-2005, 02:11 AM
i usually respond by saying i sometimes have a tendency for perfectionism

Blarg
05-19-2005, 02:43 AM
Stupid questions like this. They make me want to punch my interviewer in the face.

Daliman
05-19-2005, 02:46 AM
I used to be a recruiter, and I figured out the PERFECT response to this while doing that, and for my own interviews. It's actually true for me though.

"My biggest weakness is that I learn too fast. Now, obviously, that doesn't seem like a weakness, but what ends up happening is that a job that takes 3 months to train for I learn in 3 weeks, and then my supervisors don't feel the need to have to train me anymore and often a situation will come up where I am left on my own early on and I don;t know the proper procedure because it is something that you can only learn through experience."

Worked for me. THe last 13 jobs I have interviewed for, I got an offer on,(mind you, these weren't big-deal jobs by any stretch, but still, it's a tiny bit impressive to me.)

The Legend
05-19-2005, 02:49 AM
farm animals

(sorry, I couldn't help myself)

TheWorstPlayer
05-19-2005, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to be a recruiter, and I figured out the PERFECT response to this while doing that, and for my own interviews. It's actually true for me though.

"My biggest weakness is that I learn too fast. Now, obviously, that doesn't seem like a weakness, but what ends up happening is that a job that takes 3 months to train for I learn in 3 weeks, and then my supervisors don't feel the need to have to train me anymore and often a situation will come up where I am left on my own early on and I don;t know the proper procedure because it is something that you can only learn through experience."

Worked for me. THe last 13 jobs I have interviewed for, I got an offer on,(mind you, these weren't big-deal jobs by any stretch, but still, it's a tiny bit impressive to me.)

[/ QUOTE ]
If I was interviewing you, I would say "If you are saying that is your BIGGEST weakness, I am saying you are a [censored] liar. And I'm a big tool for asking this question that I got from googling 'interview questions'."

daryn
05-19-2005, 05:02 AM
my unimaginable laziness.

Dr. Strangelove
05-19-2005, 06:31 AM
Hookers and coke. And giving stupid answers to stupid questions.

Rotating Rabbit
05-19-2005, 08:37 AM
I've never failed an interview, done 8 in total (university, investment banks etc.)

Its appears to be a dumb question (almost all interview questions do) but its useful because it tests whether you can play the game.

And in this game what matters is not just what you say, its how you say it. You get lots of points for evidence. A good answer is one that a) brings in evidence, b) shows desire to stop the weakness c) is modest and yet d) doesnt actually really state any weaknesses.

E.g. 'Well in the past, when I was working on <insert (and its on your cv)> I focused too much on the small details of this one section because it irritated me it wasnt quite right, when I definitely should have focused most on this other section which needed much more work. So this meant I was under a lot of pressure to finish in time. Luckily I did manage to on this occasion, but it was a really close shave....But I've done my best to learn from this to happen again so now I always try to plan my time ahead better! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daliman
05-19-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If I was interviewing you, I would say "If you are saying that is your BIGGEST weakness, I am saying you are a [censored] liar. And I'm a big tool for asking this question that I got from googling 'interview questions'."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you don't interview many people.

2planka
05-19-2005, 01:35 PM
I'd have to say my main weakness is my excessive flatulence. You wouldn't have a match handy, would you?

Messy Harry
05-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Interviewer: What are your weaknesses?

Interviewee: Reading posts from OOT on 2+2...it has killed my productivity...in fact, it's the reason I got fired from my last job. But at least I'm very honest! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

colgin
05-19-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the best way you've answered this or seen it answered in a job interview?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just . . . I just can't . . . love.

IndieMatty
05-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Since all the jokes are used up...I'm usually honest, and use some BS at the same time.

"Well, I'm not going to say "I'm too much of a perfectionist or that I work too hard or any of the other typical answers, I'll be honest, I can be disorganized, I feel like just getting things done, not prepping them to get done; so It's something I'm conscious of and work on, but I'd say it's still my biggest weakness"

Grisgra
05-19-2005, 03:28 PM
"I really don't like working with people much. You know, they just kind of get on my nerves. So that . . . and the drugs."

I vaguely recall saying something like this during my last job search. Obviously, you gotta pick your spot /images/graemlins/smile.gif -- interviewer got a huge kick out of it.

On the other hand, I didn't get the job. Got called back for a second series, though, so I don't think that's what did it.

Alobar
05-19-2005, 03:50 PM
I once said "has anyone ever actually answered that question honestly?"

The guy laughed and said "prolly not" then sat there and waited for my answer

I looked at him and dead panned "I have a cocaine problem"

heh, he didnt know quite how to take that

I was also 20 at the time, and couldnt have given a [censored] if I got the job or not....so its prolly not the best advice /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Voltron87
05-19-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ive always answered it as that i cant let something go unfinished...that i get over determined to make something work, etc etc - so it works to mah benifit!

[/ QUOTE ]

more like "mah grammah is just not 2 good!"

jakethebake
05-19-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
more like "mah grammah is just not 2 good!"

[/ QUOTE ]

This took me several seconds to figure out. I thought you were talking about her grandmother. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

beerbandit
05-19-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Homer: Well, it takes me a long time to learn anything,
I'm kind of a goof-off...
Smithers: That's enough!

[/ QUOTE ]

cheers

TStoneMBD
05-19-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i stopped reading after i read this. i think if your interviewer has any humor he/she will be really impressed by this witty response.

beerbandit
05-19-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Kryptonite."

[/ QUOTE ]

nice

bholdr
05-19-2005, 04:18 PM
I once said:

"I don't interveiw terribly well. I'm a little nervous right now, and i'm afraid that my real abilities and qualificatins aren't coming through as well as i'd like them to."

this was goos for a laugh from the interveiwer, as i had been clearly kicking some interveiw ass.

ZeeJustin
05-19-2005, 04:30 PM
"I'm half-black, and overcoming adversity in the workplace has always been tough, but my attorney has helped me a great deal with the discrimination lawsuits."

Rhone
05-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Interview over, and it didn't come up. Very few BS questions like that over the three hours, actually...ups my respect for this place.

1800GAMBLER
05-19-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Kryptonite."

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, that was the first ever time i've laughed out loud at 2+2

hogua
05-19-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have people skills. I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

[/ QUOTE ]

Office Space is the best!

The Yugoslavian
05-19-2005, 07:32 PM
This question is basically always asked at an interview...it just may be more subtle or implied or phrased in a much different way. The interviewer is concerned that you have big flaws that will make them regret hiring you. It is possibly one of their biggest worries (and possible weaknesses) in their own job: that they will f*ck up and hire a completely worthless hire they then have to fire or who makes them look bad. So, they end up not really having a good idea if any of the candidates are a good fit for their company/team/position.

So, really what you're doing is not talking about your weaknesses but reassuring them that you, indeed, will make them look good, fit in well with their culture/position, and be productive.

One fairly generic answer to the OP's question that comes to my mind would be something like: I always look for ways to improve my skills and knowledge. When a situation arises that I feel doesn't go as well as it could have, I will reevaluate my part in it. So, I am constantly working on 'weaknesses' in that sense of the term. Honestly, though, I wouldn't apply for this position if I felt that I wouldn't excel in it.

An employer isn't really all that interested in you talking about how bad you are at something...they want to be reassured (obviously the person feels you have potential as you are in the interview) that you will fit in well and make them look good.

I'd say more important than the exact answer to any question in an interview is *how* you answer it and well you connect with the person interviewing you during it.

Yugoslav

blatz
05-19-2005, 08:00 PM
I had sex with your wife.

Alobar
05-19-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I'm half-black, and overcoming adversity in the workplace has always been tough, but my attorney has helped me a great deal with the discrimination lawsuits."

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding!! we have a winner!!!

woodguy
05-19-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Frankly, if they're going to ask such a lame, unimaginative question, they deserve a stupid, unimaginative answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've managed a few businesses and hired a bunch of people over the last 10 years.

I ALWAYS ask that question to see how creative the person is, and how good they bullshit on the fly (i.e. I work to hard gets a bad score from me)

My goal in asking that question is not the hear an answer, but to see how they react to being asked that question.

Regards,
Woodguy

Alobar
05-19-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His wife is in a coma

tbach24
05-19-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His wife is in a coma

[/ QUOTE ]

Giggity, giggity, giggity

Analyst
05-19-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Kryptonite."

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I'm going to use this the next time this question comes up from a prospective boss (HR people don't count). Interviews are very much a two-way street - why should you want to work at that company/for that person? This response would be a great way to tell if the interviewer has a sense of humor, and if they don't then I'm not particularly interested in working for them.

Sooga
05-19-2005, 08:57 PM
12 year olds.... i can't get enough of em.

Rhone
05-19-2005, 09:45 PM
Good answer. And I think your point that "how" you answer the question is more important than what you actually say is true for a lot of other interview topics as well...

BadBoyBenny
05-20-2005, 07:01 AM
Don't pick a personal trait. I always say lack of experience. I know that the interviewer is holding my resume in front of her so she already knows whether I actually lack experience relative to the other candidates or not.

Yeti
05-20-2005, 07:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I once said "has anyone ever actually answered that question honestly?"

The guy laughed and said "prolly not" then sat there and waited for my answer

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this, followed by 'i'm a bit shy at first, but ok once i get to know everyone. and i realise i lack a little experience but am eager to get some on-the-job training' or some-such is pretty much perfect.

mackthefork
05-20-2005, 07:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

Mack

NutzyClutz
07-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Well I'm still looking for work... I answered
I'm somewhat impulsive, I'm not the kind of person that will wait for nine people to ok it before reacting.

Although I try to motivate people individually, I can't understand when person purposely makes mistakes/doesn't try/ wastes time. It would seem that day goes faster if you work instead of waste.

HopeydaFish
07-29-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Homer: Well, it takes me a long time to learn anything, I'm kind of a goof-off...

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually answered a question this way during an interview for a sales job I'd applied for out of college that I didn't really want. The interviewer chuckled at my answer. I don't think he realized it was a Simpsons reference, though.

Sadly, I ended up getting the job. Thankfully the company went bankrupt a few months later. Woohoo!

HopeydaFish
07-29-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Kryptonite."

[/ QUOTE ]

This will be my answer the next time I'm asked that question at an interview. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

krimson
07-29-2005, 12:55 PM
"I don't value bet the river enough"

somethingstupid
07-30-2005, 02:56 AM
The correct answer is perfectionism.