PDA

View Full Version : Please Evalute This AK Play

cl_tc
05-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Please evalute my play on all streets. I don't think I'm playing AK very well post-flop lately, and my stats show that, so I'm trying to find leaks. Is something like this too aggressive post flop? I find myself getting "stuck" like this sometimes, because isn't the turn bet necessary if the opponent is on a potential draw?

Villain is 65.22 VPIP/4.00 PFR/1.25 AF after 23 hands.

Thanks for any thoughts

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB ($44.91)
UTG ($12.52)
UTG+1 ($14.23)
UTG+2 ($23.85)
Hero ($25)
MP2 (Villain)/ ($36.38)
MP3 ($22)
CO ($8.24)
Button ($17.2)
SB ($21.15)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.75</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, MP2 (Villain)/ calls $2.50, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls $1.75, UTG+1 calls $1.75.

Flop: ($10.35) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, Villain calls $8, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($26.35) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero calls $14.50 (All-In), Villain calls $14.50.

River: ($55.35) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $55.35

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ks Ac (high card, ace).
Villain has Qh Th (high card, queen).
Outcome: Hero wins $55.35. </font>

crazygoose
05-18-2005, 08:38 PM
I would've raised less preflop. With the amount you reraised the pot is going to be pretty big relative to your stack going into the flop. Trying to buy a pot that big on that type of flop (no A K or Q) is pretty sketchy against three fishy opponents and I wouldn't attempt it. Against one opponent definitely...two...usually...three it's almost not worth it at this level. You will get called by a better hand too much IMO. Not to mention the fact you're pretty committed if that flop bet gets called. I don't like it. You got lucky in that the villain is a complete and utter idiot. I wouldn't play AK this way.

cl_tc
05-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Including the blinds, the pot was 1.85 with a 0.75 call to me. What do you think would have been a better raise amount?

And, after the flop, you would go in to a check and fold to any bet mode?

TheWorstPlayer
05-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Very easy fix: call preflop, fold the flop.

xorbie
05-18-2005, 10:56 PM
I like preflop, but check/fold this flop. The odds of your opponent having a draw here is pretty low, given his raise. The odds of him having a pair is high, and someone is likely to have a jack and call you down.

TheWorstPlayer
05-18-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like preflop, but check/fold this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why re-raise if you don't have the best hand? Why check/fold if you do?

salloch
05-19-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Very easy fix: call preflop, fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly

I would add: don't make too many "moves" at this level. Yeah, you're representing a strong hand, but he likely won't even notice. He's just thrilled with his middle pair, or whatever (i didn't look at the results).

salloch
05-19-2005, 12:08 AM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif i just looked at the results...

glad it worked out for you! i hope he made your buddy list! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

TheWorstPlayer
05-19-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif i just looked at the results...

glad it worked out for you! i hope he made your buddy list! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Sweet, I didn't even check the results until I read your response. This has got to be one of the worst played hands I have ever seen. Why didn't he just transfer the money to your account? Then you wouldn't have had to pay the rake.

nietzreznor
05-19-2005, 02:15 AM
After reading the results, all I can say is... wow...

This should definitely be played less aggressively postflop, unless you had read on villain that he was a donkey that would call all-in with QT /images/graemlins/grin.gif
It's hard to believe your hand is good after 3 call your pre-flop reraise (personally, I like a call better preflop).

wall_st
05-19-2005, 04:05 AM
I think the results here are irrelevant.

I like the re raise pre flop because it lets you know where you are at, if he re raises some ridiculous amount you can get away from this hand cheaply. I hate everything about the way that you played this hand post flop, mainly because of the level you are playing at. You may be able to get away with playing AK this way at a higher level but at 25NL you are often times going to be running into some sort of small pocket pair, for some reason at these lower levels people will fall in love with things like pocket 5s and 7s and will often show them down on scary boards.

Also it appears your opponent is incredibly passive you probably could have just gotten a cheap showdown here.

cl_tc
05-19-2005, 09:57 AM
It's because of the ridiculous results that I realized my play was, more than likely, poor.

So in situations similar to this, should I be in check/fold mode after the flop when I don't hit, because of all the players involved?

What if it's a situation where I am the pre-flop raiser with AK and narrow the field to only one opponent, I miss the flop, and get checked to? I find myself betting at the flop here a lot too. Sometimes it works, and others it doesn't.

jeccross
05-19-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What if it's a situation where I am the pre-flop raiser with AK and narrow the field to only one opponent, I miss the flop, and get checked to? I find myself betting at the flop here a lot too. Sometimes it works, and others it doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that that is a +EV play, I tend to bet alot of flops when I have raised preflop, meaning i pick up a fair few pots, and still get action when i do have a hand.