PDA

View Full Version : Should I beware of people multi-tabling?

chapstick
05-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Hi, as my posts of hand histories indicate I play mainly on pokerroom. I've noticed some players there that are multi-tabling the 0.25/0.5 tables. Up to about 4-ways. I've tried to avoid them, but I'm not sure if I should. They are definitely tight (maybe even super-tight) players, and when I've watched them they haven't shown much aggression unless they have a sure thing. Should I just play at the same tables as them, and basically ignore their presence, and be more elective with my hand selection when they do play a hand? Or, should I just avoid them outright and play different tables? Consider that I'm still a novice.

Also, more of an aside, these guys seem to play for hours and hours most days of the week. Can they really be making much money playing these limits? I never see them at the higher stakes tables.

homebrewer
05-18-2005, 07:44 PM
No need to avoid them. Sounds like you are getting enough information on them to play effectively against them. If they are playing tightly and betting only premium hands, try to get position on them so you can steal. If you can get a good idea of how they play to the point where they are somewhat predictable, then you can play accordingly. As opposed to those unknowns that have you guessing.

KingOtter
05-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Sit on their right... then it's all good. You can raise and knock them out of pots and off of blinds.

KO

MrWookie47
05-18-2005, 07:47 PM
If they're really tight and predictable, it's not a problem playing with them. Try and sit with them on your immediate left. You can steal their blinds easier, and you get the button twice per round. The players I try to avoid are the sLAA's (happy faces in PT). After you've played with them and get a better read, you may want to avoid the really good players who'll be aggressive with marginal holdings or maybe throw in a well-timed bluff. The fit-or-fold guys, though, are exactly who I want to be sitting behind me.

chapstick
05-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks homebrewer. I just feel that they probabaly know a lot more than me right now, so that I'd be at a disadvantage. And they're taking up a seat I won't be able to win money from. Anyway, I think I'll go join them for a session or two, and see how it goes. thanks

Schwartzy61
05-18-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi, as my posts of hand histories indicate I play mainly on pokerroom. I've noticed some players there that are multi-tabling the 0.25/0.5 tables. Up to about 4-ways. I've tried to avoid them, but I'm not sure if I should. They are definitely tight (maybe even super-tight) players, and when I've watched them they haven't shown much aggression unless they have a sure thing. Should I just play at the same tables as them, and basically ignore their presence, and be more elective with my hand selection when they do play a hand? Or, should I just avoid them outright and play different tables? Consider that I'm still a novice.

Also, more of an aside, these guys seem to play for hours and hours most days of the week. Can they really be making much money playing these limits? I never see them at the higher stakes tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Avoiding them depends on the player, Tight Passive you should have no qualms sitting next to. The more aggressive they are the more aware of them you need to be. It seems you have enough information on them to be successful against them.

If they're like me they are playing these limits to build a bankroll. I'm on a bonus chasing bankroll building adventure right now and am multitabling to clear bonus and win some money.

chapstick
05-18-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If they're like me they are playing these limits to build a bankroll. I'm on a bonus chasing bankroll building adventure right now and am multitabling to clear bonus and win some money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see. Well, for three months (as long as I've been laying) they've been on the site more-or-less every day, so I'm guessing they are permament. Are there bonuses that take that long to clear?

MrWookie47
05-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Poker Room is actually pretty crappy for bonus chasing unless you're at 2/4+. It sounds to me like they're guys who read WLLH and are modest winners at their limit. They may have moved up and had a downswing due to variance or weak-tight-itis, and moved down where the money keeps flowing.