PDA

View Full Version : Tricky KK in a large pot

ClaytonN
05-18-2005, 07:15 PM
This felt like poetry in motion, but should I pump the river?

Also, comments on my flop and turn play are appreciated

Villains are unknowns.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, SB calls.

River: (21 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 25 BB

Buckmulligan
05-18-2005, 07:21 PM
raising the river is bad here. Also, why didn't you cap the flop, especially after SB called the two?

moot
05-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Cap flop, the rest is perfect.

EDIT ==

Actually, I dunno...

I think I might pump this river. I'd be a bit worried about the SB picking off a flush or something, but after he bails...

I dunno, the way he played it I can't imagine UTG having anything that beats you. Looks like you might have him oversetted.

mmbt0ne
05-18-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm not stopping on this river with a 4 bet cap. UTG is getting buddy-listed if he plays a flush or straight like that. 99 or 66 is VERY probable here.

The flop call is close. I don't think I like it.

AmarilloJim1
I would've capped the flop, but I wouldn't raise at the river.

homebrewer
Cap flop.
Scary river bet, but seems likely that you've got the best hand.

I'm having a hard time with UTG's play. It looks kinda strange to me. If he's got the flush, he sure played it aggressively. Post results later.

ClaytonN
05-18-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
raising the river is bad here. Also, why didn't you cap the flop, especially after SB called the two?

[/ QUOTE ]

Disguising

Plus it allows me to checkraise for a greater frequency on 4th street.

ClaytonN
05-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Results will come later.

billy51
05-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Given the action, I think a flush or a straight is very unlikely, so I say reraise the river. I'm guessing UTG had a lower set.

ClaytonN
05-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Wow, looking back at this hand I realize where I made my error.

Ouchies.

moot
05-18-2005, 07:37 PM
I also noticed you checked the turn, which I suppose is the correct play since you didn't cap the flop.

But I dunno, it still can be risky if he was overplaying a draw and checks behind on the turn. I think I'd just cap and lead out. Though in this case it looks like your line was actually more profitable (assuming you won the hand, which I think you did).

ClaytonN
05-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Okay, here's where I think I goofed

UTG called preflop, SB raised, and I threebet

On a K69 two spades flop, when it goes bet raise raise, what kind of hands will the third guy have on the flop?

AA, 99, 66, K9, AK /images/graemlins/spade.gif, KQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I think I would eliminate AA, 99, and AK /images/graemlins/spade.gif here. Why? Well, I'd like to think those hands would have raised preflop.

When the threebet came, I felt like my opponent had a really strong hand like AK /images/graemlins/spade.gif or a lower set. By calling the three-bet, I wanted to set up a checkraise on 4th street.

It made sense, because he was last to act. SB would call his turn bet because the pot was so big, and then I'd raise it. But more bets came in.

The turn action didn't change my read much at all, either he was overplaying a two pair, had a set, or had AK /images/graemlins/spade.gif .*maybe* he had KQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif or K7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Up until this point, SB has done nothing but call. He prob had a decent king and was just holding on, or a flush draw.

Flush draw became a non-possibility for SB when he checked the river (unless he would smartly checkraise), so I bet the river.

Villain made a mistake by overplaying his set (yep, he had 66), and I stupidly called.

Among the range of hands villain had up until that point, it was MUCH more likely he had 99 or 66 than a hand like AK /images/graemlins/spade.gif or KQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif . Why? Preflop action. UTG called.

I should have picked up on that, but forgot. Blargh.

mmbt0ne
05-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Don't forget. There is 1 K left in the deck. That's a lot to ascribe to someone just because they are playing back at you unless you have a read.

Buckmulligan
05-18-2005, 07:57 PM
The river is tricky because I am pretty sure villain's capping. From a positive standpoint, we get a lot of value from some worse hands, i.e. 99 by paying 4 bets on the river. The bad part of 3 betting is we don't have enough information to fold to a cap, so we end up really spewing versus a flush.

ClaytonN
05-18-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget. There is 1 K left in the deck. That's a lot to ascribe to someone just because they are playing back at you unless you have a read.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, could you please elaborate on this. I don't get what you're saying.

mmbt0ne
05-18-2005, 08:06 PM
I don't think you really need any more information than what you already have. What flush hands is he playing like this? I'll guarantee you it's not &gt;45% of his possible holdings here.

ClaytonN
05-18-2005, 08:23 PM
I could have seen him play KQs or AKs like this (maybe even a luckbox K7s), but it would make zero sense that villain would play of these hands the way he did preflop, unless he's a total retard.

Buckmulligan
05-18-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll guarantee you it's not &gt;45% of his possible holdings here.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, let's raise then.

MrWookie47
05-18-2005, 08:28 PM
You're staring at 3 K's. There's only one more. There are as many ways for villain to have a set here as there are for him to have any sooted K in spades. Putting him on KsQs or AsKs is far, far too narrow a range. Since 99 and 66 are each much more likely (in terms of # of possiblities), they should be more heavily weighted in your decision process.

ClaytonN
05-18-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're staring at 3 K's. There's only one more. There are as many ways for villain to have a set here as there are for him to have any sooted K in spades. Putting him on KsQs or AsKs is far, far too narrow a range. Since 99 and 66 are each much more likely (in terms of # of possiblities), they should be more heavily weighted in your decision process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup yup yup. Solid advice.

TheWorstPlayer
05-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Hold down "Raise" and don't let go. I don't see any reason to stop raising at any point in this hand.