PDA

View Full Version : Calling Range

LeVoodoo
05-18-2005, 07:01 PM
I think i'm calling too much on the bubble when I have seen or suspect the villain
to be very aggressive and capable of pushing nearly any two. (22+, Ax, Kx, Qx, J5+ + SC's).

Case#1:
Villain1 has pushed two of the three previous hands without a caller.

Blinds 100/200
Villain1: 1400
Villain2: 8000
Villain3: 2600
Hero: 3000 A/images/graemlins/spade.gifJ/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Villain1 Pushes, Villain2 Folds, Villain3 Folds. <font color="red"> Hero..? </font>

Case#2:
Villain3 is the uber aggro chip-leader. He raised all in on my BB the last two orbits has been raising big (1000+) about half the other hands.

Blinds 100/200
Villain1: 3000
Villain2: 3000
Villain3: 8800
Hero: 1200 K/images/graemlins/spade.gifQ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Villain1 Folds, Villain2 Folds, Villain3 Pushes. <font color="red"> Hero..? </font>

Given my reads, how bad is calling both?

Nick M
05-18-2005, 07:13 PM
I call both. The first one he is short and right before the blind. In the second he has the big stack and could be pushing you around. You also need to gamble a little in the second. You have a short stack and you need to double through.

At worst it was coin flip in both right?

Jman28
05-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Given that range, the first one is an easy call.

The second one is tougher, but I'm leaning towards calling if he's that aggressive.

LeVoodoo
05-18-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At worst it was coin flip in both right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Results aren't important for now. Will post after I get a few more replies.

What is the proper calling range in this situation?
For the first, I would seriously consider calling as low as 77 and AT+.
For the second, I would seriously consider calling with A7+, 55+, KT++.

Is my calling range too wide? I could always push the next hand with better odds.

Nick M
05-18-2005, 07:34 PM
In the first one I say yeah 77+ or even 66 a10 seems fine too.

But in the second I say ANY ace and KQ+. 55+ seems good too. But I really hate flipping in this spot. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. One flip here will definitely tell people you are there to gamble, and they might back off so yeah 55+

flyby4553
05-18-2005, 08:20 PM
First I definetly call, Pokerstove says your ahead 2:1 against that range and a loss hurts but isnt devastating.

Second, its tougher. PS has you a 58/42% favorite with that same range. Its likely that he is just using his stack to push you around, and given that even if you double up your still the shortstack getting your money in as a '58% favorite' is more than you can hope for.

EDIT: As for a calling range. First hand I would say something along the lines of A9 or AT+, KQ, 66+ ... For the 2nd I think you basically have to call with Ax, K9+, and 44+. If you think you can steal the blinds back the next hand in hand #2 you can probably tighten up a bit, but I don't know your situation.

lastchance
05-18-2005, 08:29 PM
55 is so much better than A2o in these situations it's insane. 55, KQ, AT (A9?) sounds about right, BTW.

Nick M
05-18-2005, 08:36 PM
So you think that you need at least A9 to call the Big stack push from the SB? Yeah I don't know. I am not going to let the BS push me around if I have an Ace. Just my thoughts I guess.

LeVoodoo
05-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. After a bit more thought, I like my call in the second one more than the first. In the first, I am really in no hurry to put all my chips in the middle in a calling situation. Even if i'm a favourite, it's not much more than 55%. I'd still call it at least half the time though, I'm just not sure it's an auto-call. In the second, time is running out to make a move. KQ is good calling hand considering how maniacal the chipleader has been.

For what it's worth (nothing)
Case #1: Villain flips over 77.
Csae #2: Villain flips over KK (oops!).