PDA

View Full Version : The term "well liked"

The Dude
05-18-2005, 06:42 PM
How should I write this sentence?

"... that is more respected and more well liked..."
"... that is more respected and better liked..."

Saying "more well" is typically not correct, but breaking up the term "well liked" doesn't quite seem right to me either. What do you think?

Benholio
05-18-2005, 06:46 PM
how about "... that is more respected and well liked..."?

Can you not use just one 'more' for both components?

<-- Not a grammar expert

bholdr
05-18-2005, 06:50 PM
without knowing the context and exactly what you're trying to say, it's tough, but, it should be:

"...that is more respected and liked more"
but
"...that is more respected and well liked"
works too.

the problem is that a phrase like 'well liked' or 'well read' conotes a duality- that is, a person is either well liked or he isn't, there is no more or less to be attached to it; but it's not like there's a rule for it. i say read your choices out loud a few times and go with whatever sounds most pleasing to the ear.

i'd have say it's time to dig out the thesaurus and find a less awkward term than 'well liked'.

The Yugoslavian
05-18-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Saying "more well" is typically not correct, but breaking up the term "well liked" doesn't quite seem right to me either. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will put these into sentences to see how they flow:

1. The Dude is more respected and more well liked than any other poster I know of.

2. The Dude is more respected and better liked than any other poster I know of.

3. The Dude is more respected and well liked than any other poster I know of.

I choose option number three...but the first option isn't as awkward as I would have thought. I don't like the second option at all.

Yugoslav
Also, I think technically it should be 'well-liked'....but meh.

bholdr
05-18-2005, 06:52 PM
nice. i aggree.

The Dude
05-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Yes, I can. Thank you.

Blarg
05-18-2005, 06:53 PM
"more respected and liked"

The "more" does double duty, modifying both, and the "well" is redundant.

The main reason this is even a question is probably because "well liked" are two words so commonly linked as to be almost a cliche, and it's hard to let go of "safe" workable phrases like that. They ring a certain bell when you hear them. Which is the very reason that for a more individual, interesting style or writing, you should let that canned phrase go.

The Stranger
05-18-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will put these into sentences to see how they flow:

1. The Dude is more respected and more well liked than any other poster I know of.

2. The Dude is more respected and better liked than any other poster I know of.

3. The Dude is more respected and well liked than any other poster I know of.

I choose option number three...but the first option isn't as awkward as I would have thought. I don't like the second option at all.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Agent Bork: Chief! Ya know that guy whose camper they were whackin' off in?
Agent Fleming: Bork, you're a federal agent! You represent the United States Government! Never end a sentence with a preposition.
Agent Bork: Oh, uh... Ya know that guy in whose camper they... I... I mean, that guy off in whose camper they were whacking?

The Dude
05-18-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I agree with you here.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It should only be hyphenated if the phrase as a whole is an adjetive preceding a noun. For example:
He is well liked.
He is a well-liked person.

Blarg
05-18-2005, 06:57 PM
From Beavis to Churchill's variation: "A dangling preposition is something up with which I will not put."

The Stranger
05-18-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From Beavis to Churchill's variation: "A dangling preposition is something up with which I will not put."

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't have even mentioned it/noticed if he wasn't answering a grammar question.

The Yugoslavian
05-18-2005, 07:04 PM
I'm glad you noticed...the dangling preposition was intentional. I figure it's the best way to get credibility in a discussion about word choices and sentence structure, /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

And also to fish for funnier reply posts.

Yugoslav

The Yugoslavian
05-18-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It should only be hyphenated if the phrase as a whole is an adjetive preceding a noun. For example:
He is well liked.
He is a well-liked person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?!? Hrrmm. Is there a nifty reason for this? I am fairly sure that well-liked is the 'correct' way to use it in both cases, /images/graemlins/confused.gif.

I really think it's well-liked but I'm not sure why I'm even responding because I don't care that much.

Perhaps I care to know which one is correct but don't care if one uses it correctly.

Yugoslav

peachy
05-18-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

either - that is more respected and well liked or that is well respected and admired or that is overly/generally/etc respected and well liked....i can think of more but i doubt u like these anyway so ill just stop there

The Dude
05-18-2005, 07:24 PM
That was my specific impression from "The Elements of Style." I can't seem to find my copy of it right now (I was going to quote it), but if I come across it later today I'll give you the exact rule.

nolanfan34
05-18-2005, 07:25 PM
I'd probably say:

...that is moar respektud and liked gooder.

The Stranger
05-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Peachy weighing in on grammar, beautiful.

The Yugoslavian
05-18-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I didn't need to dangle anything in this thread. Who knew Peachy would come provide all the material we would need, /images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Yugoslav
Who isn't even quite sure what the @#%$@#$ peachy was trying to say in her convoluded, semi-coherent babbling...

bernie
05-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Can't you say

that is well liked and better respected?

b

tbach24
05-18-2005, 07:53 PM
lol, peachy giving advice on grammar.

The Dude
05-18-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably say:

[/ QUOTE ]
And you'd be more correct than 95% of your fellow Washington State graduates.

nolanfan34
05-18-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably say:

[/ QUOTE ]
And you'd be more correct than 95% of your fellow Washington State graduates.

[/ QUOTE ]

You had half an hour, and that's the best response you could come up with? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

And 97 percent is the correct number.

The Dude
05-18-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You had half an hour, and that's the best response you could come up with?

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparantly I give more attention to my "job" than you do yours. BTW, that reminds me. How did your interview go?

peachy
05-18-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey!! i can write well for the most part!! i just dont care to here!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

jakethebake
05-19-2005, 08:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]