PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read the new Maxim article: Three Kings: The Poker Pack?

RYL
05-18-2005, 05:59 PM
What did you guys think of the article? I was amazed how Erik Sagstrom(AKA Erik123 at Pokerstars) was able to pocket $5 million over the course of three years playing online poker. HOLY COW!!!! I liked the way the article ended.

"But I genuinely root for Erick and Josh. The bond of friendship is more important than the money, because we're all going to make enough money anyway." -Negreanu.

JackWilson
05-18-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm going to out on a limb and say that I'll need a LOT of convincing to believe that he made $5 million in 3 years playing online poker. Not sure if "able to pocket" implies after tax, if so that's obv even more unbelievable.

mmbt0ne
05-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Who cares? Eveyone who reads Maxim is gonna want to make $5 million playing poker now.

Also, this should be in NVG or Internet.

JackWilson
05-18-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who cares? Eveyone who reads Maxim is gonna want to make $5 million playing poker now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I am still interested in whether it's possible or not, you make a [censored] good point!

RYL
05-18-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll need a LOT of convincing to believe that he made $5 million in 3 years playing online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a mistake. I meant OVER $5,000,000.

bernie
05-18-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to out on a limb and say that I'll need a LOT of convincing to believe that he made $5 million in 3 years playing online poker. Not sure if "able to pocket" implies after tax, if so that's obv even more unbelievable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't he have had, er, help?

b

bump
05-18-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

eric123 won the WCOOP on Pstars I believe which definitely helped his winrate. Also I am pretty sure he was not based in America when he was playing (I also think he was 19 when he won) All this can be confirmed or denied in the WPT forum.

05-18-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not from the US, so I'm not sure what taxes have to do with anything. He lives in Linkoping.

05-18-2005, 06:47 PM
he lives in Linkoping and is just now 21. There is, as far as I can tell from my quick research, no tax on gambling winnings in Sweden.

Gavin

ClaytonN
05-18-2005, 06:53 PM
He also did well in the $1k and $5k HU sit n go's.

But yea, what Gavin says has the most to do with it

A) He's 21
B) He's Swedish (no taxes on gambling)

RYL
05-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone. I think United States is the only country that taxes gambling winnnings. I haven't heard of any other country taxing their gambling winnings. I know, from hearing other people on 2+2, that people living in Canada and Europe don't pay taxes on their gambling winnings.

RYL
05-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Sagstrom says there's another factor at work: To him it's not a game. "Some people in the U.S. play for fun," he says. "I play to win."

TStoneMBD
05-18-2005, 08:28 PM
if you live in canada, and they deem that you are gambling for a living, you are required to pay taxes.

Blarg
05-18-2005, 08:34 PM
You're incorrect regarding Canada. If you do it for a living, it's taxable. If it's not your main job, it's not taxable. Nothing authoritative there, but that's the gist of what I've picked up from reading Canadians talk about it here.

JackWilson
05-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Yes, no one cares about South Africa but here goes. Just about everything in South Africa is taxable. Including gambling winnings.

jakethebake
05-19-2005, 08:29 AM
WTF? How did this go this long without someone saying WRONG [censored] FORUM YOU DUMBSHITS!!!

RunDownHouse
05-19-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, this should be in NVG or Internet.

[/ QUOTE ]