PDA

View Full Version : Bet into w/ my 3rd pair.

Joe826
05-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Villain is too loose preflop, but I haven't been at the table long enough to determine what this bet means. What's my default play?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Huero is MP with 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Huero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Huero?

Grisgra
05-18-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm a big fan of the "weep uncontrollably" line here.

Joe826
05-18-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a big fan of the "weep uncontrollably" line here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take this line too often as it is. Friends are beginning to worry about my estrogen levels.

Roy6
05-18-2005, 07:35 PM
I think it's 9J, JQ, 8x, maybe 2x a fair amount of time.

imported_CaseClosed326
05-18-2005, 07:45 PM
I just fold here. I have tried calling down, tried raiseing, but none of those options seem to have shown any good results. Maybe it is weak tight, I don't know.

BusterStacks
05-18-2005, 07:50 PM
If you're feeling saucy, I like to raise and go for a cheap showdown. I take this line 61% of the time.

Roy6
05-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Folding might be OK here.
If we raise the flop we can get a free river card but we have a really tiny chance to improve.
I don't know if the situation is better if the lowest flop card is somewhat higher (but we still beat it like, a 5).

spamuell
05-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Usually I fold, if image dictates then I'll raise-bet-check or call-raise-check but usually I just can't be bothered to lose money in spots like this.

joker122
05-18-2005, 08:24 PM
hey joe. my default is to raise against an unknown. obviously, if he 3bets you have an easy fold on the turn. if he bets into you on the turn, i also fold.

spamuell
05-18-2005, 08:26 PM
obviously, if he 3bets you have an easy fold on the turn.

You don't have an easy fold on the flop? You're not getting 22:1 to call the 3-bet and he's not 3-betting the flop out of position and then giving you a free river.

joker122
05-18-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're not getting 22:1 to call the 3-bet and he's not 3-betting the flop out of position and then giving you a free river.

[/ QUOTE ]

implied odds, he might be 3betting with a draw, we're HU and loose is better than tight, etc.

SGS
05-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Don't people know they are supposed to check to the raiser? Yea I hate this and I probably fold this one.

SGS

spamuell
05-18-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're not getting 22:1 to call the 3-bet and he's not 3-betting the flop out of position and then giving you a free river.

[/ QUOTE ]

implied odds, he might be 3betting with a draw, we're HU and loose is better than tight, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Implied odds? After raising and being 3-bet the pot is 5BB so you need to make up 6BB on the turn and river just to break even, assuming your set wins 100% of the time which it won't and actually the times that it doesn't are the times that the most money goes in.

It doesn't matter if he's 3-betting a draw because he's betting the turn anyway and you're not going to call again.

While I probably agree that HU if it's close you might prefer taking the looser option to reduce the chance of you getting bluffed out later and to encourage action when you have a good hand (and I'm not even sure about this because frequently SH you like to be believed because you don't have a strong hand), this situation is not close. It's a definite fold here.

pfkaok
05-18-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If we raise the flop we can get a free river card but we have a really tiny chance to improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, thats why if you raise the flop you should usually bet the turn(then fold to CR) Or, if he's aggressive enough to autobet the river after you checked the turn, and also aggressive enough to bluff CR the turn, then you can check behind on the turn and call his river bet.

As for the flop choice though, i don't much like folding, but i'm not sure which is better against an unknown. Its hard to say if you'll have much folding equity if you call flop, then raise turn, but its probably not all that much, unless maybe an A comes on the turn to scare him. You might have a chance of folding an 8 like this... but that flop call, turn raise also can look suspicious, and they might still call you down expecting you to have Ahigh.

I think i like flop raise best, b/c folding just seems a little too weak here since he'll have a draw, bottom pair, or maybe 33-55 too often to want to just give up this early.

Joe826
05-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I think you're probably correct that the best line here is to raise the flop, bet the turn, and take the free showdown.

In this hand I called the flop, raised the turn, and checked the river. I think I should save that line for someone who I have more fold equity against to make it worthwhile, though.

Villain showed T7 and HHWG.