PDA

View Full Version : I never slowplay aces

Heimdal
05-18-2005, 05:05 PM
I never slowplay aces. Would this be a good hand to do it in?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP ($198.50)
Hero ($461.60)
Button ($132)
SB ($509.80)
BB ($210.40)
UTG ($232.25)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $4, MP calls $4, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $48</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $372</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: $430

Finite_Risk
05-18-2005, 05:17 PM
Instead of 372, make it 90 preflop - hopefully he calls (will pretty much be stack committed) or pushes

If he calls, push the rest in on the flop

jkkkk
05-18-2005, 05:22 PM
make it $150, go from there.

Finite_Risk
05-18-2005, 05:23 PM
150 is basically the same as 372 - pretty much the rest of BBs stack

wtfsvi
05-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Fellow Norwegian?

You will hardly slowplay them with a lesser raise here (or a call, well, it will maybe be a slowplay, but it will be a reasonable one). I agree with finite risk in making it about $90 and pushing any flop that doesn't come something like KKQ with two spades.

pzhon
05-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Yes, that is a reasonable time to slow-play aces. The BB has about 1.5 times the pot left, and is likely to commit himself on the flop with a worse hand. If you push preflop, you may be letting the BB get away cheaply. The downside is that the BB may hate the flop but would have called a push, or might hit a set against you instead of folding. I think the risk is worth it.

jkkkk
05-18-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
150 is basically the same as 372 - pretty much the rest of BBs stack

[/ QUOTE ]

quite true, i'd make it $100 (practically the same as $90) and push the flop.

Heimdal
05-18-2005, 05:56 PM
I just think that a raise to $100 looks too much like AA-KK. Wrong?
And the BB is a decent player btw.

jkkkk
05-18-2005, 06:06 PM
i think any re-raise here looks like aa - kk, the idea of making it $100 is that if villain calls, the money already in the pot makes the push an easy option, $90 effectively does the same thing.

but whether you bet $90 or $100 here is inconsequential, i'm folding ladies or worse unless i make you for an idiot.

-Skeme-
05-18-2005, 06:08 PM
I think that would be a good spot to just call, but I don't have a flopblem with making it $100 so he'll have no trouble going all in preflop. If you're viewed as a solid, tight player, you might just want to call and disguise your hand a bit better.

Irishfly
05-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Seems like a good spot to let him bet off his stack with KK or QQ on a rag flop. I agree though that about $90 to $100 more preflop makes it easy to push almost any flop. Also that money will already be in the pot if you flop a scare card Ace. $100 more is what I would chunk out there and if he folds then I say "Better to win a small pot than lose a big pot". If he calls, push any reasonable flop. I don't think he can call any more than $90 or $100 more preflop without a pair.

the 9
05-18-2005, 10:53 PM
Yes this is a good hand to slowplay aces. You are HU and you have position. He has committed 25% of his stack pf and is probably going to lead out on the flop, maybe push so I smooth call here 80% and push 20% depending on how good BB is. Raising to 90-100 or whatever is a mistake IMO.

theredpill5
05-19-2005, 04:27 AM
This is what you do. Works for me.

Pause for a moment about 10 seconds then call. Like you are worried about what he has. I kid you not, this works. I stacked someone a few days ago with this. Then play the flop like you normally would. Push or whatever.

joeg
05-19-2005, 06:28 AM
Yup slowplay, if it was deeper money raise, but if you call he only has 1.5 * pot left and he has the 'initiative' meaning he will be likely to bet when he missess as well as when he calls, if it flops low &amp; ragged and he pots it on a steal and you raise him all in he will be getting 7-1 to call so if he has a good ace he may consider himself commited to drawing to it, if he checks and you bet the pot he has to consider the possibility you have nothing and may call you down.

ryanghall
05-19-2005, 07:50 AM
In my opinion, either calling here (willing obviously to get all-in no matter what falls) or pushing is correct.

Of course, if you call and a K falls, you're going to want to puke.

I'd lean toward pushing most of the time, but you should mix it up.

Even if he folds, you're taking down a very nice pot with no risk.

JaBlue
05-19-2005, 07:58 AM
Yeah this is a pretty damned good spot to do it.

-Skeme-
05-19-2005, 08:34 AM
Wanted to clear up my earlier post. "flopblem" was supposed to be problem. And I meant make it $90-$100 so you won't have much problem with him putting his stack in on a ragged/low flop with his Kings.

Alex/Mugaaz
05-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Isn't calling like basically giving him 3 cards to beat you?

With this much action preflop, even your push should get called enough at this level.

If you just call he is either going to see the flop, miss it completely, and now has an easier time folding to your push becuase he has even less chances to improve. Or he will hit a set (most likely), check to you and wait for you to give him your money. There are so many scare cards on the flop - any king or queen, or 2 to any flush. The worst part is if it's a king and he has AK, what are you going to do now? You will be so fearful of trip kings youll be crushed.

I like your push preflop, weaker players wont get away from this, and youll be in it for their all money a huge favorite, you can't ask for more. If you let him see the flop he has either way less, or way more reason to continue if he is a good player. The only way you're trapping a good player here is if he has AK and flop comes an Ace. That's so unlikely it's not worth considering.

I could be wrong, but I don't agree with the posts so far.