PDA

View Full Version : overreaction?

chopchoi
05-18-2005, 04:33 PM
I was playing on Pokerstars the other day, and there was this player whose avatar was a gun pointed at a kitten, and the kitten standing on it's hind feet with it's paws in the air, like a criminal would do if the police pointed a gun at him.

Well, I love cats, and the whole idea that someone would think it funny to point a gun at a defenseless kitten really made me angry. So I wrote Pokerstars, and asked them to have this player change his avatar.

Pokerstars wrote back that the player has used this avatar for six months, and I was the first person to complain, they would not ask the palyer to change his avatar.

Anyway, I wonder, did I over react here? I still feel the avatar is in very bad taste, but at the same time, I kinda feel like a snitch, which is something I usually despise.

PokerPunk11
05-18-2005, 04:44 PM
yes, i think you really overreacted. It was probably just a little joke. And, to be quite honest bad taste or not, it's not that big of a deal. And, to top it off, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH POKER THEORY! This part of the forum is for discussing poker theory, and not some overreaction to someone's avatar. (I actually think it's kind of funny too)

Ianco15
05-18-2005, 05:16 PM
nit.

Why did you post this here?

chopchoi
05-18-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my bad

Sasnak
05-18-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was playing on Pokerstars the other day, and there was this player whose avatar was a gun pointed at a kitten, and the kitten standing on it's hind feet with it's paws in the air, like a criminal would do if the police pointed a gun at him.

Well, I love cats, and the whole idea that someone would think it funny to point a gun at a defenseless kitten really made me angry. So I wrote Pokerstars, and asked them to have this player change his avatar.

Pokerstars wrote back that the player has used this avatar for six months, and I was the first person to complain, they would not ask the palyer to change his avatar.

Anyway, I wonder, did I over react here? I still feel the avatar is in very bad taste, but at the same time, I kinda feel like a snitch, which is something I usually despise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm feeling a need to do some road-hunting for cats tonight. Need to go sight the scope on the Ruger 10-22. Thanks.

bernie
05-18-2005, 06:45 PM
This has gotta be a joke post.

But if it isn't...

Get a skin, willya.

Don't you have anything better to worry about than a stupid avatar?

[ QUOTE ]
I kinda feel like a snitch

[/ QUOTE ]

I can think of better words than snitch that would fit much better.

b

chopchoi
05-18-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm feeling a need to do some road-hunting for cats tonight. Need to go sight the scope on the Ruger 10-22. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hick.

blackize
05-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Actually I hate cats. All the cat lovers I have met are people I would rather not spend time with. But seriously though, how can you get offended by something so silly? It's an animal posed in a humorous manner. If you dont like an avatar, pokerstars has a nice block icon feature. I use it all the time for people who put up pictures of their ugly babies, ugly pets, or their own hideous faces. Dont get so ticked off about trivial things and please please don't try to get icons or my favorite tv shows banned because you dont like them.

bobbyi
05-18-2005, 07:31 PM
If you genuinely found the avatar offensive, then you didn't overreact. Emailing Stars to tell them is the right way to deal with an offensive avatar.

Floyd Moseby
05-18-2005, 10:05 PM
I'm almost 100% positive that the avatar image in question is actually somewhat of an inside joke. Go to Fark.com and you'll see what I mean. I don't think anyone is actually advocating gun violence against domestic pets.

-edit- That image (if I'm thinking of the same one) is actually Photoshopped anyway.

DemonDeac
05-18-2005, 10:37 PM
that cat is so cute

chopchoi
05-19-2005, 02:23 AM
See, my delimma is, is this a matter of personal taste, or is this a matter of moral responsibility? Sometimes, the line between taste and morality becomes blurred.
People cannot be allowed 100% freedom expression on their avitars. I mean, if someone wanted to use a picture of Cartman dressed up as hitler cause they thought it was funny, they wouldn't be allowed to do it, because if they did, they would lose all of their jewish clientele, and likely some of theit non-jewish clientele as well (i sure as hell wouldn't play there). But see, these sites aren't worried about losing their feline clientele, so they allow this.
But seriously, I'm not a PETA member, i eat meat, but I just don't think pointing a gun at something is very funny.
Anyway, I grew up with this kid Noel, and noel wanted to be a "gangsta." You know the type... would flash heat at the slighetest altercation. So anyway, Noel had a cute little rotweiller puppy and one day he called the puppy, but the puppy didn't come, so he shot it. Noel is now doing life for murder. Also, one kid i grew up with is dead, and another was hospitalized, because they were shot while playing around with guns.
Also, jayson williams of the nets supposedly once shot his dog as well, and then he accidentally shot his chauffer.
Thinking that pointing a gun at something is funny is not much different from thinking that pulling the trigger is funny.
Anyway, I'm stoned, sorry for rambling, I'm gonna go play a real chep SNG, or sit in a cheap ring game. Playing while intoxicated is ok, as long as you stay at low limits....

Ianco15
05-19-2005, 04:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my bad

[/ QUOTE ]
It's cool. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Schwartzy61
05-19-2005, 05:45 AM
Why didn't you just block the image?

That's what I do when I see an annoying image...

maldini
05-19-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
See, my delimma is, is this a matter of personal taste, or is this a matter of moral responsibility? Sometimes, the line between taste and morality becomes blurred.
People cannot be allowed 100% freedom expression on their avitars. I mean, if someone wanted to use a picture of Cartman dressed up as hitler cause they thought it was funny, they wouldn't be allowed to do it, because if they did, they would lose all of their jewish clientele, and likely some of theit non-jewish clientele as well (i sure as hell wouldn't play there). But see, these sites aren't worried about losing their feline clientele, so they allow this.
But seriously, I'm not a PETA member, i eat meat, but I just don't think pointing a gun at something is very funny.
Anyway, I grew up with this kid Noel, and noel wanted to be a "gangsta." You know the type... would flash heat at the slighetest altercation. So anyway, Noel had a cute little rotweiller puppy and one day he called the puppy, but the puppy didn't come, so he shot it. Noel is now doing life for murder. Also, one kid i grew up with is dead, and another was hospitalized, because they were shot while playing around with guns.
Also, jayson williams of the nets supposedly once shot his dog as well, and then he accidentally shot his chauffer.
Thinking that pointing a gun at something is funny is not much different from thinking that pulling the trigger is funny.
Anyway, I'm stoned, sorry for rambling, I'm gonna go play a real chep SNG, or sit in a cheap ring game. Playing while intoxicated is ok, as long as you stay at low limits....

[/ QUOTE ]

what makes you think the gun is loaded? its a funny picture. i like cats and i think you are a joke. and a democrat i would guess. grow up.

mmcd
05-19-2005, 02:57 PM
http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~kuanlin/Gun&Cat.jpg

Calm Dragon
05-19-2005, 02:59 PM
He's a cat burglar.