PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Windows

bosoxfan
05-18-2005, 03:50 PM
I want to have the windows in my house replaced. Has anyone had this done recently. I'm not sure what brands to look at or what the differences are that I should be looking for. I've heard the names Harvey, Anderson and Pella.

If I plan $500 per window is this in the ballpark?

jakethebake
05-18-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I plan $500 per window is this in the ballpark?

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap! Are these magic windows?

bosoxfan
05-18-2005, 04:01 PM
I guess that means I'm high on my guess. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jakethebake
05-18-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess that means I'm high on my guess. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it depends a lot on whether the old ones are standard windows. How old is the house? If you're replacing standard windows with new standard wondows, it's a pretty simple installation and not that expensive.

bosoxfan
05-18-2005, 04:08 PM
It was built in the 50's and it had vinyl replacements in when I bought it but some of the seals are starting to go.

jakethebake
05-18-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was built in the 50's and it had vinyl replacements in when I bought it but some of the seals are starting to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they're replacement windows, then I'd guess they're standard and your estimate is high. I'd guess <$200 but it's been awhile since i've installed any windows.

bosoxfan
05-18-2005, 04:26 PM
I'm not installing them myself. Are saying less than 200 installed?

gilper
05-18-2005, 04:59 PM
500$ per window isn't a bad budget price, assuming you have average sized widows. For a good quality window (Pella, Andersen, or Marvin) you can expect to pay between $250-450 per window, plus labor.

What seals are starting to fail?

Is the insulated glass foggy? If so the glass is bad and you may be able to have it replaced.

Are the windows leaking? if so where are they leaking? If it is around the edge where the frame meets the wall then the window may be okay and you might have a flashing problem. If it is at the glass they may be able to be reglazed. If it is through the window itself, then they definately need replaced.

bosoxfan
05-18-2005, 05:03 PM
it's the glass getting foggy, it doesn't leak.

on_thg
05-18-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to have the windows in my house replaced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Switch to linux. HTH.

gilper
05-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Then all you really need to do is replace the bad glass. Much cheaper than replacing the entire window. Unless you don't like the windows and just need an excuse to replace them.

brick
05-18-2005, 05:45 PM
I have a house built in the 1920's and recently replaced all the single-pane windows with low-budget, but way warmer, double-pane vinyl.

I spect about 2 hours per window and $200 each including tax and delivery.

It was a fun project. Not too tough.

Ray Zee
05-18-2005, 08:30 PM
its easy to do yourself after the first one. if you go with simple vinal windows 100 to 400 depending on size and glass.
andersons are 400 and up. go with low e glass if you want heat retention and blockage. but you pay more for that.
this doesnt include labor which is about 200 per window depending on the job. do not get metal windows as they all sweat.
if your glass is getting foggy then your thermo panes have failed and if you like your windows you can just change the glass but the cost may not be much less than half of new ones.

soah
05-18-2005, 09:43 PM
My parents are replacing every window in the house this week and are paying around $700-800 per window, including installation. (The entire windows are being replaced, not just the glass.)

jakethebake
05-19-2005, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My parents are replacing every window in the house this week and are paying around $700-800 per window, including installation. (The entire windows are being replaced, not just the glass.)

[/ QUOTE ]

They're getting ripped off if those are standard windows. If they have some weird windows being replaced with standard windows there's extra work though.