PDA

View Full Version : Overcard turn problem - AKo

StellarWind
05-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Party 5/10 6-max (5-handed)

Unknown Button limps, 52/12 SB completes, and Hero raises the BB with A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Both call. Postflop SB is a little loose and tends to be passive in the face of aggression.

Flop is J /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Hero bets and both call. 4.3 BB to the turn.

Turn is 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB checks and Hero ...?

Wynton
05-18-2005, 01:39 PM
Against unknown, I'd bet here, hope the button folds and perhaps get free showdown on river if you don't improve.

Alobar
05-18-2005, 01:54 PM
I very much doubt you can get them both to fold. You either dont have the best hand, or whatever draw they are on is now calling one more (thats a pretty bad turn turn card, it offers a bunch more draws and pairs some of the the flop straight draws).

I prolly check and pray the button doesnt bet.

StellarWind
05-18-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I prolly check and pray the button doesnt bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you do when Button checks and the 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif rivers?

klagett
05-18-2005, 07:15 PM
May be weak here but I think I check the turn. If there is a bet I fold, if the river comes with a blank I check again. The pot isn't very large.

Just my two cents though, I know I need work on my unimproved overcards play.

spamuell
05-18-2005, 07:30 PM
If there is a bet I fold

I'm not sure whether betting or checking is better on the turn here, but you can't fold to a bet. There was no pf raise so your A and K outs are pretty clean and you have a gutshot to the nuts. You'll be getting at least 6.3:1 so you can't fold here.

I'd probably bet here, I hate being raised but it doesn't happen that often, usually someone with a J will raise the flop here and a T is unlikely to raise but probably would have bet, and like Wynton said, you can often get a free showdown if you bet here, which is good because there are numerous draws you'll be against. Also, occasionally the button is going to raise a turned flush draw but when you call give up and check behind the river and let you win anyway. And I can also see the button having 55-22 and calling the flop and then folding the turn if you bet again.

StellarWind
05-18-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There was no pf raise so your A and K outs are pretty clean

[/ QUOTE ]
Your king outs are about as bad as it gets: KJ, KT, K9, any Q, flopped flush draw, and a bunch of common made hands that already beat one pair. The aces are better but hardly great.

spamuell
05-18-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your king outs are about as bad as it gets: KJ, KT, K9

[/ QUOTE ]

The button is likely to openraise these hands, not openlimp and although sb could have these, he could have a lot.

[ QUOTE ]
any Q

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I overlooked this.

StellarWind
05-19-2005, 12:15 AM
I chose to bet the turn. I doubted this decision when I reviewed the hand and am now inclined to agree with Alobar. I think I should get to the river as cheaply as possible.

However my actual play worked perfectly. Button folded and SB called. The river bricked and I took the free showdown. SB flipped the busted K /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and MHIG.

Thanks for your comments.