PDA

View Full Version : new york bar exam

lucas9000
05-18-2005, 12:56 PM
anyone taken it recently? i'm thinking about taking it. i would have to study and work at the same time, though i don't necessarily want to take it at the very next available test date. also, i'm in colorado so i'd have to do home study, i think. any recommendations for what materials to go with, insights about it if you recently took it, etc?

fwiw, i have taken and passed the colorado bar, so i'm not entirely unfamiliar with bar exams.

peachy
05-18-2005, 01:25 PM
just get a few books tht condense the material and look over it in ur spare time. Ur at an advantage b/c uve taken one before...so ur way ahead of the crowd on that one and have bonus points cause u passed. U can call a law school there in NY and explain ur situation and ask if they have in specific NY law books or any recommendations so u can study up on the differences that u dont know. Im sure they will be helpful...but then again it is the "NORTH" hehe so u never know!!! Good luck!! Im sure ull do fine!

Most laws are common sense with a twist! /images/graemlins/blush.gif
hehe not really but giving hope!! lol

HDPM
05-18-2005, 01:30 PM
I think the NY bar is one of the harder ones with a lot of state specific material. I'm not sure, but I would get NY bar review stuff. Then again, I doubt I'll ever take the NY bar so what do I know.

asb165
05-18-2005, 01:45 PM
I would check Ebay for BarBri materials this summer after the July test. A lot of people (I know I did) sell their study materials. When there is a glut in the market, you should be able to pick these up pretty cheaply. Make sure that you get outline books that are fully filled in by hand, because you're not going to be sitting through the lectures.

NY does have a bunch of state specific essays, and covers some topics that other states don't. Other than that, just do tons of multistate practice questions to cover for whatever you'll be missing on your NY specific questions.

I hope I was as helpful as Peachy. I tried mah best.

miajag81
05-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Peachy, are you in law school?

swede123
05-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Let's hope not, or the American justice system may just have reached an all-time low.

Swede

peachy
05-18-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's hope not, or the American justice system may just have reached an all-time low.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

har har.....no why do u ask?

I was going to go to law school...was raised for it my whole life and the fams political...sooooooo yeah. But i choose to do something different although i was passionate about law and still am (i work for a lawyer) but sadly someone discouraged me and i heeded thier advice...although i got a minor in it anyway /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

lucas9000
05-18-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
although i got a minor in it anyway /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so basically you're eminently qualified to give advice on the subject i asked about. thanks a pantload.

lucas9000
05-18-2005, 07:24 PM
is it one day of multistate and two days of state essays, or just one day of state essays?

i pwn the multistate.

side note: louisiana is three days, all essays, and there is a day off between each day. a friend took it (and passed!), and you couldn't pay me enough money to go through that.

Oski
05-18-2005, 08:26 PM
NY BAR INFO PAGE (http://www.newyorkbarprep.com/)

give that a shot.

The Armchair
05-18-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm taking the bar in July.

There are two days. One day is NY specific (but teaches multistate type stuff). The other day is the multistate.

The MBE is worth 40% of your score. Scores range all over the place.

There are a number of essays -- not sure how many actually -- and they are worth another 40%. Scores range from a three to a seven on the essays typically, and they are scored to a ten.

Ten percent is from some sort of "lawyer skills" test. They give you a packet of info and ask you to write a brief or something like that. Scores range in the 60-75% range.

The last ten percent is multiple choice, kind of like NY's version of the MBE.

You need a 665 to pass this year, and it goes up 5 points a year (or 6 months?) until it hits 680. Right now, you need an estimated 134 on the MBE to have a strong shot at passing, and the PMBR dude suggests that if you get a 150, your chances of passing are very high.

So, if you can do well on the multistate, you're OK.

05-18-2005, 09:39 PM
I took the NY bar in 1991 and also have the experience of having taken a second bar (NJ) a few years later, when bar topics weren't so fresh. PM me if you want to ask questions -- my info may be old but I don't think the test (or the experience) has changed much.

lucas9000
05-19-2005, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm taking the bar in July.

There are two days. One day is NY specific (but teaches multistate type stuff). The other day is the multistate.

The MBE is worth 40% of your score. Scores range all over the place.

There are a number of essays -- not sure how many actually -- and they are worth another 40%. Scores range from a three to a seven on the essays typically, and they are scored to a ten.

Ten percent is from some sort of "lawyer skills" test. They give you a packet of info and ask you to write a brief or something like that. Scores range in the 60-75% range.

The last ten percent is multiple choice, kind of like NY's version of the MBE.

You need a 665 to pass this year, and it goes up 5 points a year (or 6 months?) until it hits 680. Right now, you need an estimated 134 on the MBE to have a strong shot at passing, and the PMBR dude suggests that if you get a 150, your chances of passing are very high.

So, if you can do well on the multistate, you're OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds a LOT like the colorado bar (i guess that's why colorado and ny have recoprocity). if you get above the minimum score for the mbe part, do the "extra" points apply to the essay part? that's how colorado's bar works.

bd8802
05-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Well isn't lucas turning into a big shot.

/bd

lucas9000
05-19-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well isn't lucas turning into a big shot.

/bd

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm considering fleeing the western us because you never answer my IMs anymore. the shame! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Armchair
05-19-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ if you get above the minimum score for the mbe part, do the "extra" points apply to the essay part? that's how colorado's bar works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.