PDA

View Full Version : This hand fascinated me

Hotchile
12-05-2002, 04:29 PM
Online tournament. $20 +$2.

3 Players involved in the story. A B & C. (I am C)
Player A has T1500, Player B has T1300 and I have T2600.

Player B has raised my blind on every orbit which I have surrendered. Player A has also had most of his blinds raised which he has surrendered. He has also just won a life saving pot when going all-in with JJ.

Here's the hand. Player A is the SB ($50), Player B is the BB ($100) I am the button. I am dealt JJ. All fold to me so I make it $300 to go. Player A raises all-in and Player B folds.

Based on the information given, what hands would you put Player A on and would you then call his all-in with JJ?

Larry

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-05-2002, 05:27 PM
It sounds like you 3 are not the only ones left at the table. With that in mind plus the chip positions, I'm not likely to call an all-in with Jacks. I'd put him on a higher pair or AK or AQs. I don't think it's a bluff after just saving his own behind with JJ. I think that's what he wants you to think.

Hotchile
12-06-2002, 05:59 AM
I did call the hand. I decided that he may have thought that I was trying to raise Player B's blind and that he might be running interference with any kind of reasonable hand. I figured a moderate ace (A10 or AJ) or a pocket pair but not bigger than JJ.

The hands were shown, he did in fact have AJ. I liked my chances........until the flop which came A Q 6. Now I wished he didn't have a jack. Oh well, here's hoping for a few decent hands prior to desperation time. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The reason that the hand fascinated me was the reason for his raise. I don't think that he thought he had the best hand, I believe that he thought I was just trying to attack player B and would lay my hand down to an all-in.

Am I reading too much into the situation or should I revert to more mathematical premises to make this call??

Larry

mickblueeyes
12-09-2002, 08:52 AM
As a frequent online tournament player, I will tell you that there was no reason for his raise. Half the people you play against make it to the last 3 by sheer short-term luck--the thing that good poker players battle against. His raise was probably nothing more than his improperly following the advice of a book which said to raise with AJ.

On the whole, I find online poker players to be far less educated about poker than BM players. I think a lot of this has to do with the amount of recreational players and the fact that poker online is more like a video game so people lose sight of the fact that they are playing for REAL money.

I cannot tell you how many times I have been one of the last three at the table and had someone raise me with absolute rags and sometimes even reraise me! AJ can be a questionable hand depending on position (IMO) and I would certainly think that a reraise from him here was asinine unless he thought you would lay down.

Hotchile
12-09-2002, 02:22 PM
Exactly, that's what I thought. I figured that he was only coming back at me because I was raising someone who had been raising all my blinds. That's why I decided to go ahead and call. I found the hand interesting because it was a case of playing against the players "state of mind" more than playing the hand.

Hotchile

David Ottosen
12-10-2002, 12:24 AM
You're reading too much into it. I'd probably reraise all in from the BB against a probable button stealer with AJ. And I'd further instantly call with your JJ, knowing he could be raising a bit light (I'm surprised his hand was as good as it was).

All the back story between you and the other player I'm sure went totally over his head.