PDA

View Full Version : AQ Help - Tournaments

Phil2
05-18-2005, 11:52 AM
I have been doing a lot of thinking about this hand, reviewing the way I have approached it in the past, and pretty much decided that I have been overplaying it big time. In fact, a lot of players I have run in to have a tendency to overplay this hand. Obviously many factors are important and I have to consider many things before I make decisions at the table, but I have some adjustments when I pick up this hand:

I hate flat calling a raise when there is already one caller. Usually, and this always depends on a lot of factors, I muck. Sometimes, depending on stack sizes and the player, I will reraise to isolate the raiser. If I hit the flop great; If I miss, my PF raise often earns me a free card. But I do this only when I feel the conditions permit; mainly against weak-tightish players. If I try this against a looser player and I miss, and he comes out firing, then this play doesn’t really work. Mainly, I have been picking my spots with AQ better and it has paid off.

I read that Daniel said he was done with this hand, and I’ve read that Doyle never plays it. I doubt they are serious, but maybe they suggesting that the hand is overvalued? This hand can pay off nicely in cash games when it hits, but I found that in tournaments it is better to be selectively aggressive with it and folding often especially when the action suggests you are behind. Your thoughts on AQ strategy in tournament situations are appreciated…thanks as always. /images/graemlins/club.gif