PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/ a computer problem

Nate_Dogg
05-18-2005, 11:04 AM
I am building my own computer for the first time and running into some problems. I posted all of this on the motherboard's website, but did not receive any help.

System:
Athlon 64 3400+
ABIT KV8 Pro (Mobo)
1GB Corsair DDRAM
nVidia e-GeFORCE FX 5500, 256 MB DDR AGP 8x/4x
CoolerMaster Centurion Case
Antec TruePower 430W
Sony CDRW/DVD/CDROM Driver
Samsung 80GB HD

After powering on the system siren goes off (two short beeps I repeatedly, I think) and I get the following post codes:

26, 52, 75, and then finally 7F

The BIOS starts and the computer will run until I turn it off. I replaced the 350W case PSU, but that did not help. I have tried a seperate stick of RAM to no avail. Also, the LED on the CD-ROM will not light up, so I don't think it is getting power for some reason. The BIOS recognizes my CPU, RAM, and HD but not the CD-ROM. What should I try now?

Craig C
05-18-2005, 05:14 PM
Try unplugging the cdrom and see what happens.

Benal
05-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Those beeps usually mean something. Check your motherboard manufacturer's website for more info on those "beeps"

Orpheus
05-19-2005, 03:04 AM
Confirm your description of the beeps before you do anything else, or you could chase the wrong problem.

In case your mobo manual doesn't list the specific ones for your system, here are som generic interpretations of 2 beeps, repeating, for various BIOS makers.

If your system has an AMI BIOS, two beeps means a parity circuit error (RAM). If it has an Award BIOS, it means a generic RAM failure (which may be fixed by removing and reseating the RAM properly. On many IBM computers, two beeps is just an alert, and the real info is on the screen (if you don't see anything on the screen. it might be a video problem or a problem on e.g a PCI card preventing the video card from operating properly). A two-tone error beep on a Mac meant a SCSI or logic board problem. A Phoenix BIOS uses a sequence of four clusters of beeps (e.g. 1-1-1-3 or 4-3-1-3) to provide more specific info.

There are other codes, and custom versions/execeptions -- and I may be misremembering some, so Google for POST code beeps (POST: Power-On Self-Test). As a general rule, the beep codes indicate that something is preventing the system from getting to the point of being able to display a text error, so RAM, video and connector/slot errors are prime culprits. Failing power supplies may cause it too (I'm told) but though PS failures are fairly common, I can't personally recall having the kind of "in between" brownout low-voltage or low-current failure that got to the POST code beeps, but wouldn't let the system boot to video. Usually the PS either fails or runs fine for a while and then makes your syem crash after it warmes up or overheats.

Another possible option is resetting the BIOS (you *did* remember to write down your settings, didn't you - oh well, you can try fixing that later; the defaults usually work okay.) This usually involves removing the coin battery, and possibly shorting out a jumper. This isn't among the more common causes, but I've had computers revive after I did it. It's pretty harmless, aside from resetting all the BIOS settings to their defaults, which isn't usually a crisis today. BIOS programs are much more sophisticated than they used to be and can usually pick a reasonable (but maybe not optimal) set of settings, which it will ask you to confirm on the first successful boot.

[edited to add: I somehow missed the end of your post. You're at a more sophisticated level than I assumed at first. Check the BIOS manufacturer (printed on the BIOS sticker) and try this page (http://www.uxd.com/postcodes.shtml) for an interpretation of the numeric codes you got. Unfortunately It's more Intel than Athlon.

Lottery Larry
05-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Someone I know sent the following:

"Sounds like a bad drive. When the drive has power, can you eject the tray? If not, than the drive is faulty. "