PDA

View Full Version : QQ in BB 2/4

Raven
05-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Im in the Big Blind with QQ in a full 2/4 $ ring game on party poker with 400 $. Two late position players limp, the SB who is a somewhat tight aggressive player before the flop and usually passive after the flop (24 vp$ip / 6 pfr) raise it to 25 $, he covers me. I call and the two others fold.

The flop is 3d 7s 9s

He bet 50 $, I raise it to 100 $, he quickly push.

I almost never min-raise on the flop like that but I decided to try it that time. So was my line correct and should I call here ?

Leptyne
05-18-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the SB who is a somewhat tight aggressive player before the flop and usually passive after the flop (24 vp$ip / 6 pfr)

[/ QUOTE ]

So does the SB make a substantial raise with something you can beat (JJ, TT, AKs)or something you can't beat like AA, KK? Since he clearly announces some kind of big hand pre-flop how do you see him improving on the flop? Surely he didn't raise with such a small PP that he would have hit a set. Since he is passive post-flop and has pushed it looks like you're up against AA, KK which makes this an easy fold.

sMethod
05-18-2005, 06:03 PM
easy fold, any raise hand has you beat AKs is even a 54% fav. If I thought you were a tight player I might push alot of hand but u have to put him on a total bluff here to call, if you havent seen him do that too much today its an easy fold

tewall
05-18-2005, 06:28 PM
Regarding whether the min raise is correct, if your opponent will not call, min-raising can be profitable, especially if you know what his raise means. The disadvantage of a min raise is that it gives an opponent great odds to call with a hand worse than yours, but there are players who will not call a min raise, so you may be able to more cheaply define your hand than with a bigger raise. Another time it would be possibly good against a no-call opponent would be with a great hand that you want him to come over the top with. Of course "opponent dependent" is always a consideration, but it seems to me especially so with min-raising.

Raven
05-18-2005, 08:42 PM
I dont think its an easy fold the way I played this hand. He could be playing JJ or TT aggressively thinking I would reraise before the flop with QQ or better. Its also a flop whit a lot of draws.

Raven
05-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Thats the kind of insight I like here, thats good stuff, thanks.

soah
05-18-2005, 09:09 PM
If you think there's any reasonable chance that he will sometimes play JJ and TT this way, then your flop minraise is pretty awful since when he pushes you are getting almost 2:1 to call. Assuming he plays AA-TT like this then it is even money that you are ahead, but if he only plays AA-JJ like this then you're a 2:1 dog on average. You may have put your opponenent into a position where he is unwittingly bluffing you at very close to the optimal frequency. Unless you're pretty certain he won't do this with JJ then I think the math warrants a call, as you have a little suckout equity (err, I mean pot equity) in addition to the chance that you're already ahead. I would certainly be less than thrilled about backing my stack with QQ, but by this point in the hand the pot has already gotten pretty big. You just have to make a read on what his range of hands is at this point, and act upon it.

Raven
05-18-2005, 09:45 PM
So if my min-raise make him push with a broader range of hands than a standard 150 $ raise its a good thing no ?
In the other way if I raise it to 150 $ he will push whit less hands, so Im more in trouble if he push, but I have better pot odds.
Im a little bit confused in this hand, as you see.
But the more I think about it, the more I think that a call was the good thing to do.